Rain water in 272 fish boxes

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Driving me nuts. Boat's still on trailer, launching next week. Been getting water in fish boxes and can't figure out how. Raised and lowered front trailer jack, no difference in runoff. Have the stock cockpit cover and yea, it runs down the back of the cover and onto the hatches, but the way they're designed, it appears any water would get in the trough and just run out the back. I store gear in the boxes and it continues to get wet. Any ideas guys?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How are the screw holes for the hinges?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's nice, wonder how much water is getting into the hatch glass. I was thinking the same thing, but would like to think Grady beaded those hinges with some good caulk. Somebody mentioned the hardtop legs, I haven't checked that yet either. It's a bit of water, don't see how that much water can get past screws :hmm .

ahill

Reaction score
Never had that problem.
Rebed the hinges, if that doesn't work check hard top plates.
You can also water test with a hose starting low and working higher.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Tucker said:
That's nice, wonder how much water is getting into the hatch glass. I was thinking the same thing, but would like to think Grady beaded those hinges with some good caulk. Somebody mentioned the hardtop legs, I haven't checked that yet either. It's a bit of water, don't see how that much water can get past screws :hmm .

Re-bed the hinges AND the fuel tank hatch screws. When I had the marine surveyor inspect my 98 272 there were higher moister readings around the screw holes. The surveyor did mention that Grady White has never bedded those fasteners which has led to premature cored deck de-lamination. I did remove the fuel hatch cover when I recently did a fuel tank and line inspection. No bedding caulk was used and there was de-lamination of the wood core and and fiberglass from water entering through the screws.

seasick

Reaction score
If you have the time and patience, cover the top of the fishbox (under the lid) with plastic and some tape. You want to eliminate the possibility that water isn't running over the top edge into the box. My fishboxes are always wet even after winter storage and I don't have a hardtop. Water does run down the sides of the forward deck on right over the box lids ( mines is a 208) and I suspect that the water doesn't run off through the chanel under the lid but rater flows over it. I just lean to live with whatever is in there being wet.