Rain water?

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hi All,

I just recently splashed my 222 the other week. I was doing a bit of cleaning/checking the bilge and noticed I have standing water in my access holes that are on the vertical part of my bow. I know its fresh water...as I tasted it :) I also noticed that below my fuel tank I can see water down there as well...is this normal? I believe there is a trough for it to run to the aft bilge but is it supposed to be in a piece of hose? Its not gas, there is no leak in the tank and no fuel smell when I open the access plate between the helm & leaning post.

I ran the bilge and I did have a lot of fresh water that was pumped out, I'm curious what you all think? Would the marina have sprayed it down in spring commissioning?

I do not remember my 180 having this issue!

Below are a couple of pictures:

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Bow access.jpg
    Bow access.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Bow standing water 1.jpg
    Bow standing water 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Bow standing water.jpg
    Bow standing water.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Bow water.jpg
    Bow water.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50

seasick

Reaction score
Hard to tell from pics but it doesn't look normal to me, You probably have something that is supposed to seal but is not. For example, the access plates may not be sealing, either the mounting ring itself or the insert gasket. The water under the tank is caused by the leak. Some tank spaces do not have clear drainage since they usually don't get water. I don't know if yours has drainage and is blocked or doesn't have drainage. Regardless, you need to look for the leak. If the weather is going to be dry for a while, you can pop the access plates and leave them open to help air out the bilge but keep an eye out for critters looking for a new home.

Reactions: igblack87

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I recently went on a trip with our Freedom 225. Was surprised how much water got into bilge from a few bad rainy nights. A lot of water can come in from the cup holders.

Reactions: PointedRose

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I have the 205 and I can get water in my bilge mid ship fwd that won't drain because of the Grady hull design. I can't raise the trailer jack high enough for it to come aft enough to drain out the stern. Most of the water comes from the anchor locker that drains directly in the bilge, the genius who designed that.

Reactions: Harrysea

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You should not have water on top of the foam.

If you have gunnel rod holders or cupholders or push-in cleats you need to have drain tubing on them that runs to the center bilge.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have the 205 and I can get water in my bilge mid ship fwd that won't drain because of the Grady hull design. I can't raise the trailer jack high enough for it to come aft enough to drain out the stern. Most of the water comes from the anchor locker that drains directly in the bilge, the genius who designed that.
You might have debris blocking the pvc tubes between bulkheads.

Reactions: leeccoll

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I get water too when it rains. Good news is it drains quickly both in my driveway and on the way to the ramp. Every GW I’ve ever owned has had the same issue. It’s coming in through the anchor locker.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I spent a lot of time looking into the GW bilge and fuel compartment setup. Fuel compartments are isolated from the bilge so leaking tanks don't leak into the bilge (keeping you from blowing up). Water that gets in to fuel compartment has no where to go unless you pull the plug in the aft-most bulkhead. I don't know why GW recommends washing tanks without explaining how to get the water out.

Search the fuel tank threads here.

Bottom line is forward bilge is plumbed to drain thru fuel compartment to back of the boat. Fuel tanks won't drain unless a plug is pulled which should be replaced.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I get water too when it rains. Good news is it drains quickly both in my driveway and on the way to the ramp. Every GW I’ve ever owned has had the same issue. It’s coming in through the anchor locker.
But you should not be getting water on the foam at the sides. Water should drain to the bilge in the center

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Plus one on debris in the PVC pipe between the 2 compartments. Easy for leaves, twigs, etc. to block the drainage.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I went back last night to check it out again. I think it’s rain water...not coming from the anchor locker. I think it’s coming from the access panels, literally only in like a 3x3 little puddle. Everything else was dry as a bone.
As far as the bilge area, the bilge didn’t have any more excess water in it like it did earlier in the day. It poured up here in Boston Sunday night...I’m thinking that’s what it was.
As for the water under the fuel tank...I’m still perplexed.
Boat got a good bill of health from the shop for spring commissioning.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I went thru the same process on my Adventure 208. After I cleaned up and dried that area, I placed a blue paper towel around the hose and fittings, and under the floor. This helped pinpoint the issue, mine was the pry up hatches.

I replaced my hatches with spin on hatches, looks like you may have those already so check the gaskets. I also replaced all the hoses, didn't have to, but after 20 years I thought it was time.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
You might have debris blocking the pvc tubes between bulkheads.
Actually that is not the case, the tube is clear. The issue is the bottom of the hull at midship is much lower than the drain plug. Unfortunately water doesn't run uphill. Even raising my trailer jack as high as it can go still isn't high enough. So I guess what I am saying if your boat is close to level or tilted slightly with no fwd bilge pump it will collect water. Mine mostly from rinsing the anchor and rode in the locker.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
so to get at the plug that separates the fuel tank area and the bilge...how do I locate? Is it difficult to take out/put back in? Or is there another way to get the water out?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actually that is not the case, the tube is clear. The issue is the bottom of the hull at midship is much lower than the drain plug. Unfortunately water doesn't run uphill. Even raising my trailer jack as high as it can go still isn't high enough. So I guess what I am saying if your boat is close to level or tilted slightly with no fwd bilge pump it will collect water. Mine mostly from rinsing the anchor and rode in the locker.
My 205 with the SeaV 2 hull was just as Capt Tom describes. My regular trailer tongue jack would not raise high enough to drain that forward portion of the bilge. I had to raise it as high as it would go.....block up under the tongue, then run the jack back up and put a 6X6 block under the jack and go as high as it would go again to get it to drain fully.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not unusual for any deep v. Mine have sat in water with low spot forward.
On the trailer, if you can’t raise it up with jack then you can move your forward rollers or bunks up. ..Or rear ones down. Or park on a hill.

Reactions: Sdfish

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I just spoke with my marina where all the work was done. They said its not unusual to have a bit of condensation on the fuel tank, under the fuel tank or in any of the access plates. They said that fiberglass and fuel tanks tend to perspire with cool nights and warmer days...

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Found out what the constant bilge water was after running the boat pretty hard today...a hose on my raw water pump that comes from the seacock wasn’t screwed in!

I noticed that while I was under way the bilge kept bailing and bailing. Got back to the dock and the house battery/transom well was soaked on my port side. Flipped my water pump switch...and there is was.
Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 92A71929-6223-418E-A052-F03383B24EA8.jpeg
    92A71929-6223-418E-A052-F03383B24EA8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: ilmmct