Re-locating batteries on a '92 228G

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I finally broke down and went to the Dark Side. I'm replacing my beloved 225 SWS w a 250 4 stroke. I know there's a significant weight difference and I'm wondering if anyone else has moved the batteries forward to offset some of the additional weight.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Anything is possible, sure, but personally I wouldn't do it. With 250HP on a 22' boat, you've got an abundance of power. If you move the batteries, you're going to have a decent chunk of change tied up in new battery cables. I can't imagine the need, but worst case, just use a little more tabs or down trim.

But... "significant weight difference"? Are you sure about that - have you actually checked? On Yamaha's website, it's listed between 550-560 lbs... that's only about 30lbs heavier, if my memory is correct.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with Dennis,

I would install the motor first to see how big the squat differential is.

I would be surprised if it was enough to motivate you to move the batteries.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis. not much difference in weight, I would locate both batteries on the port side , like they have on later models.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with Dennis. not much difference in weight, I would locate both batteries on the port side , like they have on later models.

Any idea why this is done? I have a battery on both sides with the oil tank on the port side. I don’t go out enough alone to notice much tilting to either side. However, last time out with my daughter (42lbs) I felt the boat tilt to the port side a little before adjusting.

Is there any extra weight added on to the starboard side when repowering? Or is the thinking that the captain on the starboard side would cause the boat to be off balance?

Next boat show I go to I need to start looking inside the hatches to understand how they changed everything. Saw a 228 at a recent show boat but only was checking out the differences on the outside.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
On the older boats ( 2 stroke) they have one battery on the port side, the oil tank and fuel filter away from the battery. The second battery is on the starboard side. I don't think there is any other reason than space.
On later models ( 4 strokes) , you don't have oil tank, they can easily fit both batteries on the port side. They put the fuel on the starboard away from the batteries and as they have plenty room there the deckwash pump goes there too.

seasick

Reaction score
Agree with Dennis,

I would install the motor first to see how big the squat differential is.

I would be surprised if it was enough to motivate you to move the batteries.
I agree. Just the scope of the task to relocate the batteries would stop me. In addition to resizing the battery cables, by ABYC specs you would need to relocate the battery switches and all that cabling also. Same for accessory breaker and wiring. Grounds will probably need resizing too. The feeds for bilge pumps and other permanently connected feed have to be considered. All in all a large effort. Just mount the motors and go from there.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for all of the feedback. I should be done today and hopefully launching this afternoon so I'll check back in with an update.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lots of people have an older 228 with a old 6 cylinder fourstroke including me then I added 130lb kicker motor and bracket on the starboard side. It squats a bit but not that much. Handles great. I moved both batts to port to compensate for kicker on starboard.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
One other thing to consider is a different battery to reduce weight.

Group 34 43.10 lbs. 955 MCA 55 AH
Group 24 52.40 lbs. 800 MCA 78 AH
Group 27 61.55 lbs. 900 MCA 92 AH
Group 31 67.35 lbs. 1,000 MCA 105 AH

I used a Group 34M Duracell Marine AGM from Sam's Club for my Yamaha F150's. About 9 lbs lighter than a Group 24 with higher MCA rating but less capacity.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter