Recommendations Auto pilot / Power steering pump

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like to add power steering and auto pilot to my Grady white 228 Seafarer I have Garmin electronics but I understand their auto pilot pumps are not reliable our local Garmin dealer will not install them anymore he’s had multiple failures so the question is I’m running Garmin 8612 which power steering pump should I install?
Don’t know much about Garmin auto pilot should I go with Garmin auto pilot or another manufacture?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Most of the power steering pumps I've seen are the Seastar power assist modules. They run about $1500 as I recall. You may need to so some hydraulic line work as well.

Reactions: JJMag

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can use any 12V reversing hydraulic pump that you like. You match the pump to the displacement of your steering cylinder(s).

Octopus pumps are well regarded and much less expensive than the Seastar units.

Octopus

Autopilot systems for outboards are very simple. They have a computer, a pump, and heading sensor. They will all connect to your MFD via an NMEA 2000 backbone. Most components are actually interchangeable between brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag and Halfhitch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like a good option to investigate. I've never seen them.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jjmag, I am surprised that you feel you need power steering on a 22 ft boat. Do you feel a lot of resistance when you turn the wheel? The autopilot is the best addition a person can make but my single engine turns easily without power steering. Just curious.

Doc Stressor is right on with his advice in my opinion.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not sure which garmin AP your dealer is talking about. I installed a Reactor 40 myself and have 2 full seasons and thousands of miles on it.
I could not be happier with it. It trolls straight at 2 mph in a cross wind. It runs true at 28 mph in a snotty 3 to5 quartering sea for 60 miles.

I know they have smaller units and they even tell you in their literature that the smaller units do not perform well at slow trolling speed.

Reactions: JJMag and drbatts

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Not sure which garmin AP your dealer is talking about. I installed a Reactor 40 myself and have 2 full seasons and thousands of miles on it.
I could not be happier with it. It trolls straight at 2 mph in a cross wind. It runs true at 28 mph in a snotty 3 to5 quartering sea for 60 miles.

I know they have smaller units and they even tell you in their literature that the smaller units do not perform well at slow trolling speed.

Same experience here. I have the reactor 40 and smart pump combo and it works great at any speed. I cannot say the same for other APs i have had on previous boats.

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We are having a Simrad AP (AP 44 medium capacity) installed now, alongside new Garmin electronics. Based on research and advice from J-Hicks. They are all about Garmin but prefer the Simrad AP’s for reliability. Haven’t used it yet so this isn’t based on my own experience.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you J Hicks has a great reputation I’ve purchased them before when they were in the Northbay, I’ll be buying it early next yeaThank you Jay Hicks has a great reputation I’ve purchased them before !
sounds like I’ll probably go that way also !

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was in a similar situation looking for an autopilot for my 208. The larger/expensive Garmin Reactor 40 with Smartpump works well but it’s overkill for something smaller like our boats. Raymarine EV-100/150 units are relatively cheap ($1500 + fittings) but use a proprietary cable (SeaTalk) instead of NMEA2k.

I’ve talked to a few people who recommended the Simrad AP44 medium for boats around our size and the integration should work well as it’s NMEA2k.

If you’re going to use AP to just hold a course while setting lines/fighting fish you could go with something simple like a Sitex SP110/120. The units are utilitarian in design and function but they work as intended, are a little lower priced, and last a while.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was in a similar situation looking for an autopilot for my 208. The larger/expensive Garmin Reactor 40 with Smartpump works well but it’s overkill for something smaller like our boats. Raymarine EV-100/150 units are relatively cheap ($1500 + fittings) but use a proprietary cable (SeaTalk) instead of NMEA2k.

I’ve talked to a few people who recommended the Simrad AP44 medium for boats around our size and the integration should work well as it’s NMEA2k.

If you’re going to use AP to just hold a course while setting lines/fighting fish you could go with something simple like a Sitex SP110/120. The units are utilitarian in design and function but they work as intended, are a little lower priced, and last a while.

I wish the fishing grounds was as close as yours as soon as you get off shore you guys could start fishing sometimes I travel 15 to 35 miles offshore to get to the fishing grounds for tuna so I’m going to look really hard at Simrad AP44 medium celebrate gather up all the data and do my research but I’m deathly going to look hard at the Simrad unit .
Thank You

Reactions: Holokai

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have AP 44 on my 228 and it works well at slow speed trolling and heading offshore up to 40 miles. I don't have power steering , standard Seastar hydraulic .

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
your 8612 will operate it but I would suggest a separate control unit mounted next to the wheel. I find myself steering with the buttons on my GHC-20

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I wish the fishing grounds was as close as yours as soon as you get off shore you guys could start fishing sometimes I travel 15 to 35 miles offshore to get to the fishing grounds for tuna so I’m going to look really hard at Simrad AP44 medium celebrate gather up all the data and do my research but I’m deathly going to look hard at the Simrad unit .
Thank You

Sometimes we’re lucky to be able to set lines at the head buoy (mostly on Kauai and Hawaii Island) but the trade off is the water is sometimes rough to the point that autopilots will only work well downsea and sometimes not at all.

Our usual run is about 15 miles in relatively choppy water, in the dark, and at slow speed (not on plane) but worth it if the fish are biting. Needless to say, autopilot won’t work in those conditions but I’m interested in how the Simrad works out for you if you decide to go with it.

I have AP 44 on my 228 and it works well at slow speed trolling and heading offshore up to 40 miles. I don't have power steering , standard Seastar hydraulic .

How slow a trolling speed? I’m guessing you have the medium capacity AP44, correct?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Sorry I don't mean slow trolling, I mean slow speed, "trolling". We troll between 6 and 8 knots, works well at that speed, I don't know if it will work at salmon trolling speed at say 2 knots. We don't have salmon here , we slow troll for kings ( live yellowtail and squid) but because it is close to rocks we manual steer. On offshore reefs 300ft plus we use knife jigs or just drop down livies when we see the fish on the sounder.
Yes medium cap AP44, I fitted it soon after I bought the boat.