Recommendations for an Onboard Battery Charger

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My boat has a 2001 Charles Industries, 20 Amp, "C-Charger" onboard battery charger that died last week. Charles Industries got out of the marine industry last year so a direct replacement in no longer possible. Therefore, I am going to need to install another brand. I am looking for recommendations for an onboard battery charger in the 20A range.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have TREMENDOUS experience (I work in the marine industry) with the ProMariner brand, most notably the ProNauticP line of chargers and they have a excellent track record. I have personally used them on my own (and family/friends) boats, as well.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Didn't know Charles had stopped that line. Our OEM Charles charger died last year, and I replaced it with the newer model.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed a Promariner Protournament 360 Dual Charger-36 Amp 2 Bank in my Grady 330 Express.it is waterproof and since it is installed in the bilge area,I thought that would be better. Works great!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
grady33 said:
I installed a Promariner Protournament 360 Dual Charger-36 Amp 2 Bank in my Grady 330 Express.it is waterproof and since it is installed in the bilge area,I thought that would be better. Works great!

Just as a side point to this. I believe that the "waterproof" is meant to be able to be topsides - mounting in the bilge is different. The ProNautic I referenced... the "experience" I have with these is through Sea Ray (I work at a dealership) and my own boats. The ProNautic line has always been mounted in the bilge... and we're talking, literally, hundreds of boats that I've seen over the years this way... and that's just at our shop. I have NEVER come across an issue with the ProNautic series being mounted in the bilge. I'm not saying do/don't get a waterproof charger - but when they're mounted in the bilge, it's absolutely not needed. Not that it's bad to buy a waterproof one - it's just that you might be spending more money than needed and not getting any benefit for it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ocnslr said:
Didn't know Charles had stopped that line. Our OEM Charles charger died last year, and I replaced it with the newer model.

My Charles charger failed sometime over the winter of 2016/2017. I called Charles to ask if/where I could get parts for it as I thought I knew what was broken. Customer service informed me then that they no longer were manufacturing marine battery chargers. She asked for the serial number of my charger and then said it was still under warranty! Sent it off and it was fixed, no charge except for my shipping it to them. Great customer service! Sad to see them go.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
journeyman said:
ocnslr said:

My Charles charger failed sometime over the winter of 2016/2017. I called Charles to ask if/where I could get parts for it as I thought I knew what was broken. Customer service informed me then that they no longer were manufacturing marine battery chargers. She asked for the serial number of my charger and then said it was still under warranty! Sent it off and it was fixed, no charge except for my shipping it to them. Great customer service! Sad to see them go.

You are probably right but when I called them to ask they said not to mount it where water can spray it. Bilge area up high is mostly dry but there is moisture so I just opted to go with their waterproof series.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I ended up installing a Promariner ProNautic 1230P. I will provide some photos of the install.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Minn kota on amazon is a cheap but effective 2 or more bank charger. Genius is a good brand as is the Promariner.

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307

How many batteries do you have on your 330 Express?