Recommendations for Binoculars

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not exactly a Grady subject, but any comments? Is Steiner worth the extra $$? Not looking for the sexiest set, just good durable optics that will hold up on a a boat and getting knocked around during packing, fishing, and storms. Thanks in advance.

seasick

Reaction score
It depends on how you plan on using them. If you do a lot of off shore or night boating, the better units will help. If you do mostly inshore/bay fishing during daylight, you can get away with less expensive models. I feel that the Steiner's are the best out there but I opted for a less expensive pair. I would rather spend the money on other gear that I will use more often.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Binocs - cont'd

What would you consider to be a less inexpensive brand you've had some experience with that you like?

jfmagana

Reaction score
Jake,

I agree with the above comment that it depends on your use conditions. I have two pairs on board:

1. A pair of 7X50 Steiner's that are my primary workhorse. They're in a box on my helm station. I use this for quick visual id's (e.g., checking to see if the boat that's bearing-down on me is DFG, USCG, pirates, etc.)..

2. A pair of Nikon Stabileyes (i.e., image stabilized). I use these for long range stuff like looking for birds, jumpers, etc. on the tuna grounds. These were very pricey binoculars, but, IMHO, they are some of the best your money can buy.

seasick

Reaction score
There is a lot of possitive feedback on the Steiner 7X50 Marine model. They run about $300.
The high end Nikons with image stabilization as vey good as noted but expect to pay about a grand.
Some folks like the Fujinons and Tasco's.
I don't use mine a lot so I went cheap at about $100 on sale, can't remember the brand at the moment but they work fine for me and if they go overboard, I won't lose sleep over them. Note that my boating is recreational, inshore or bay and no overnight.
Just make sure that you get a pair that is rated for Marine use. Primarily you want them to be waterproof and nitrogen filled to reduce fogging.

if you can go to a decent marine or sports store and look through several models. The difference between cheap and good wil be obvious. Now all you have to do is decide what will work for your needs.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After using several different pair on a large boat for mostly navigation use, I highly recommend a pair with a compass. It is much easier to share information with others and put them on target. For example, when spotting something (nav aid, birds, antenna, etc.) it is just a matter of handing the glasses to some else and telling them the heading.