Remove/Renovate DVD TV Space

SalishMarlin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2005 Marlin 300 and do a mix of cruising and fishing. We never use the TV/DVD (thanks to iPad, etc.) so I am thinking of converting to cabinet/storage (drawer and drop down "chart" table). Has anyone out there modified this appliance space? Any feedback or ideas would help.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Fishtales

Reaction score
No, but if you do share some pics. I don't think there is a lot of room there to take advantage of but would be interested in seeing what you do.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'd also be interested in what you do. My first TV was dead, replaced with a near sized TV but it doesn't fit the mount. I do watch the occasional DVD movie but could do without. I'd rather have more storage.

SalishMarlin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi - I just installed the cabinet to replace the DVD space. It turned out okay. The space is now more usable for us than the TV/DVD space was, but as pointed out...there is not a lot of room back there. I was hoping the drawer under the desk space would be a little larger, but after creating a few mock-ups it really got tight. Nonetheless, besides being a better place to store log books and boat docs. I think it may provide another surface for galley work.

If there is any interest in the demo/construction details let me know.

Drawer Deployed 03.2019.jpegDesk Stored 03.2019.jpegDesk Deployed 03.2019.jpeg

SalishMarlin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did...for the most part. I removed electronics and cut the new opening - once you take the Fein Tool to the fiberglass you are committed (though Grady does not make removing the DVD easy). Once I had measurements I made up a few templates/mock-ups and test fit them. Once I knew I had dimensions/fit right I used a local cabinet shop to make the final. It's adhered in place...time will tell if it needs fasteners as well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, that came out very nice. Did you consider side bi-fold doors by chance? It appears that the latch mechanism for the drop down is sufficient. The only concern I would have if it popped out. Could be a lot of force on those chain mount points.