removed my fridge & want opinions on how to finish space

tilewave

Reaction score
i removed my fridge last year in my 265 express. the existing area is about 24" w & h and 36" deep. i was going to just make a cabinet same size as fridge but dont want to waste all that space. heres what i was thinking ; floor is now basically foam, to establish a floor i would maybe put 5/4 around perimeter to support 3/4" plywood as a floor and fill underneath with foam. the existing walls & ceiling of area are unfinished fiberglas coated plywood . ( kinda rough ) the easiest way to finish this off would be to install carpet. ( just like under the sinks compartments). this area has vents for storage compartments on either side so i would not want to completely close this off. then encase opening with teak trim. i never use the fridge and my valise life raft fits perfectly here and could always use more bulk storage would love some other opinions or ideas.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When my fridge failed I looked at turning that whole space into a fridge freezer. As i am in the tropics the dinky original fridge is just not big enough and as you say there is a lot of space behind it.
My friend is a refridge tech and has helped me with previous boats and installing, improving systems. Unfortunately the cost was well over $3,000 to build a really efficient system.
Something I will consider one day; in the meanwhile Igot a new fridge with the remote compressor, motor etc and was able to get extra 15 cubic Ltrs of fridge for around $1000.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do like the idea of having all that space. I was actually rummaging through that area a bit today since I was planning where to place all of my autopilot components next week as I begin to install it. There is a bit of area that to me persoanlly is wasted and goes unused, although I know my Dad would go nuts without it and keeping a few cold brews in there for the dock after a hot day of fishing. I do wish it took up less space though, I sure could put a ton of things up there. Valise is a good idea. Maybe get some teak veneer and finish it off like a cabinet, and build shelves, have the top be big enough for the valise, higher up makes it easier to reach in an energency, and then below it put in a big draw where you can keep either spare parts or extra gear, even extra clothes.

If it was me, I'd put the valise on the floor to the right of the steps, easiest to grab and not tucked in anywhere where it could snag as someone might panic in that type of situation, and would jsut use that space to build a huge tackle cabinet, I have ton's of tackle and would be in heaven with more draws for tackle in there.

Connorah

Reaction score
a custom cabinet, to your specs could be nice
I have had these guys do some custom cushion work and am impressed with their operation...here is their website
http://www.arrigonidesign.com/cabinetry.htm
Go to the middle of the page for cabinetry and you will see some samples of cabinet inserts that could slide into the space where your fridge was
Good luck

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow. Between Finaddictmarine being gone and photobucket now being lame, a new guy can have a hard time seeing what's going on... 8^)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Have a custom cabinet made from a local shop is my advice. Maximize the space and get something nice.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fridge removal is on the short list for me too. There are a lot of coolers built in already! And my little fresh water faucet in the cockpit is broken, and whispering "Make me into a tackle holder."

I'll be the guy working on the aluminum trim. 8^)

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: