Removing a name and blending the gell coat

hangman1176

Reaction score
I recently bought a new (used Grady) and the previous name is on the side hull. A look at it with the sun shinning I can see the name (vinyl removed) slightly.

What product or application should I use to blend it into the rest of the boat. The rest of the hull only needs a cleaning and wax application to make it look like new.

Thanks-

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use collinite's hull cleaner #920, it will clean the hull very quickly, except it works so well that you will probably do the complete hull. If you only do a section, you probably clean the hull and notice the rest now looks dirty. After, apply a coat of wax and enjoy!! I had the name on our old boat for over 10 years, removed it used collinite and you cannot tell it was ever there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the vinyl has been on there a while and the rest of the Grady hull has faded, you have two different shades.

In time exposed to the sun, it will fade and blend right in.

hangman1176

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

how about a store online to order from that isn't an arm and a leg in shipping. I don't live anywhere near a place that sells Colinite Fleetwood wax or Finesse it II, or the 855,920. Looking buy now.

gw204

Reaction score
You've got some gelcoat oxidation and fading of the areas where the name didn't provided protection. That's why it still shows. The only way to really get it to match is to compound all the faded areas.

Last year, I removed the signature Grady stripes off of my '93 and then compounded, polished and waxed the hull sides using the Meguiar's Fiberglass Restoration Kit. The results were phenomenal.

http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-rv-kits/F ... ion-System

Bear in mind this is a 15 year old hull. You pretty much have to smash your face up against the side to see that it ever had stripes on it. :D

IMG_7111.jpg

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
West marine and boaters world boat carry collinite and meguiers, or atleast the stores near me do. Don't know what is local to you.