Removing/tightening the screws for the gunnel hardware

bondstreet

Reaction score
I bought my 205 overnighter this fall and the surveyor recommended I pull up all the cleats, rodholders, and rail bases and bed them in 3M 101 to prevent water intrusion. It seemed easy enough unitil I tried it and the screws just spin. My guess is there are nuts on the backside of the screws and I can't figure a way to access them, short of cutting access holes. Is there a trick to this or a different way of sealing the holes for the hardware? :?

gw204

Reaction score
I know the bow rail and cleats are through bolted, but the rod holders on my old 204 were simply screwed down. I was able to get to the nuts on the cleats by going in through one of the aft wells. Could you do that?

IMG_0573.jpg

Not sure if you can get to the nuts on the bow rail due to the construction of the boat. In my 252, I think the cabin liner prevents it.

If you've spun a bunch of the bolts aready you're actually in worse shape now than you were before because any seal that was intact is now toast. You may have to cut in for some inspection plates in order to remedy the situation.

Let me know if you need some help. I could hop over one day and we'll see what we can figure out.

bondstreet

Reaction score
Unfortunately, everything is away from an access. Fortunately, I only tried one screw before moving to the aft port cleat. I can access that from the engine box vent. It seems everything has a flat washer and a nyloc nut on the back. If I start seeing issues, I may just caulk the junction between the hardware and the deck.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
bondstreet said:
I bought my 205 overnighter this fall and the surveyor recommended I pull up all the cleats, rodholders, and rail bases and bed them in 3M 101 to prevent water intrusion. It seemed easy enough unitil I tried it and the screws just spin. My guess is there are nuts on the backside of the screws and I can't figure a way to access them, short of cutting access holes. Is there a trick to this or a different way of sealing the holes for the hardware? :?

Was there any brown staining around the hardware items you or your surveyor mentioned? If so this may indicate the wood under the hardware did in fact get wet.