repairing chips and gouges

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I have a few areas that need repaired. A couple of them are below the waterline and some on the deck. They aren't that big but I definitely think they need to be fixed. Would Marinetex be a suitable product to use? I know color match will be an issue but otherwise will it hold up? Thanks in advance for any input.

Billy

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I purchased a repair kit from my dealer. It is a 2 part system,it is colored to match by the year. And it did match.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
What the heck, I'm going to let a professional fix it! There are a few other minor chips etc he can do while he's at it. He's also going to blast off the old bottom paint, prep and repaint the bottom with color-matched awlgrip. I absoutely do not leave the boat in the water ever so that's not going to be an issue. I've seen lots of his work around town and he does great work and the price is right.

Zebco33

Reaction score
Gross Profit, I've spoke to you before on this forum - I'm in the low country and have been looking for someone to clean up the bottom of my boat - send me your contacts info on having the bottom awlgripped. Right now my seafarer is in the water, but she'll be coming out this summer and she'll be living on a trailer in my back yard. She has bottom paint on her and I want it off and cleaned up if the price is right.

I'm not familiar w/ awlgripping the bottom - I'm sure he has reasons for it and references of happy customers.

jehines3

Reaction score
I would not have my bottom awlgripped, dry or trailer stored. It is paint like anything else and will chip/peel/flake, etc.

I would instead use a hard racing bottom paint. I used to use Interlux VC-offshore with burnished finish on a racing sail boat, or try the VC Performance epoxy (availible in white). It can be touched up, blended in and refinished. If you have a high gloss alwgrip done you will fight to keep it decent and will turn green like any white gel coat bottom. You'll acid wash it a few times to get the green out and it will be a problem.

jh

Gross Profit

Reaction score
There are quite a few examples of awlgrip painted boats that I know of. If they're kept on a trailer it's no problem. If you keep it in the water it will blister. Otherwise it's fine. This is a fact.

jehines3

Reaction score
My last boat was never in water stored and had no bottom paint. The green haze that is common will set in eventually just from use. The Awlgrip will not blister, it will just not prevent a hull from blistering. The VC Epoxy is designed for painting below the water line and will provide a very close finish to what you want.

If you want facts go to awlgrips website where it says for "above the waterline use only." You might use Awlstar which is just antifouling, but then why spend the cash to have a pro do it.

Awlgrip is a topside paint only.

http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/fe ... pcoats.htm

Gross Profit

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
My last boat was never in water stored and had no bottom paint. The green haze that is common will set in eventually just from use. The Awlgrip will not blister, it will just not prevent a hull from blistering. The VC Epoxy is designed for painting below the water line and will provide a very close finish to what you want.

If you want facts go to awlgrips website where it says for "above the waterline use only." You might use Awlstar which is just antifouling, but then why spend the cash to have a pro do it.

Awlgrip is a topside paint only.

http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/fe ... pcoats.htm

True they have that disclaimer, but the fact is I personally have seen examples of awlgrip bottoms on trailered boats that are 6-8 years old and they are just fine. Your situation may include some variables that you may not even know about. The company states what it does for protection from the ignorant who will leave the boat in the water for extended periods of time and when it fails start screaming. At $50 a foot to sodablast and awlgrip the bottom with a color that matches my Grady White and will give me a good 10 years or more, I'd say it's for me. It may not be for you or your neighbor but it is a viable route to take for those who have an understanding of what they're getting.

jehines3

Reaction score
So $50/ft to get a boat back to factory condition (no barrier or bottom paint)? After 20 years of racing sailboats (seven years detailing boats too) and going after slick fast bottoms where every imperfection counts, I'm certain that you are on the wrong track. Awlgrip chips and scratches just like paint on a car. It is very hard and once the surface tension is broken (scratched) it gets worse.

The VC Epoxy is the best NON ANTI FOULING option out there. If you speak with Interlux you can discuss tinting options. There may be plenty of boats out there awlgripped through bottom. If your guy only does alwgrip he's going to sell you on what he can do. You could have the job done for less than half that price and wind up with a better job IMO. It's your boat.

Seriously, Post pics when you are done, cause I'd love to see it. I've never heard of anyone doing an Awlgrip on bottom. If you are putting it on a trailer it will be tough to keep it from scratching through. If you are having it blasted make sure your guys uses a high build primer to even the surface out. He may even need to refair the corners or strakes depending on how well the blast goes.

jehines3

Reaction score
Here is the racing rig with VC Epoxy burnished bottom. With gas prices I miss that boat.

PerroLoco1.jpg

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I just checked in on my boat. It is really looking great. This guy does really great work. I'll post a picture for you in a few days.

Reel Soon

Reaction score
I would like to see the pics when complete. I too have bottom paint and now I keep my boat on a lift. I am interested, does the paint look like Grady gelcoat when finished?

Gross Profit

Reaction score
Reel Soon said:
I would like to see the pics when complete. I too have bottom paint and now I keep my boat on a lift. I am interested, does the paint look like Grady gelcoat when finished?

yes it does. I will post some pictures. It really turned out great. I finally put it in the water today. It was windy as heck but I loved every minute of it.