Repairing/Reupholstering my bolsters

Madhatter0

Reaction score
Figured the bolsters on the 89 offshore needed some freshening up after asking the upholstery guy how much to do the seats i dint dare to ask about these as well so figured id DIY
bought the vinyl and piping online also added a plastic layer between the foam and vinyl to help with the water the cushion had none before. The foam looked good. Used my harbor freight 2 in 1 with 18 gauge narrow crown staples really needed 20 gauge or 22 gauge wide staples but didn't want to wait just add more right LOL. I add to this with the whole process next one
20200511_182521.jpgcush2.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Look good. Monel or SS staples I hope.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
YOU HAVE TO USE MONEL!!! .....even stainless will bleed rust stains eventually.

I used a hand stapler with ARROW brand T50 Monel staples.

Madhatter0

Reaction score
Tried the monel but they wont push through the backer of plastic I did my trailer bunks with it. But the staple gun dosent have the ass

seasick

Reaction score
If you used a hand stapler to install all those staplers, your hands must be killing you!

seasick

Reaction score
YOU HAVE TO USE MONEL!!! .....even stainless will bleed rust stains eventually.

I used a hand stapler with ARROW brand T50 Monel staples.
When I did mine years ago, I could only find the monel on-line. Did you find them locally?
In those days before Prime, the shipping was almost as much as the staples! That just kills me.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
When I did mine years ago, I could only find the monel on-line. Did you find them locally?
In those days before Prime, the shipping was almost as much as the staples! That just kills me.
I think I got them at Boater's World before they went out of business.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Good job. I have a number of boat projects this spring and I just didn't have time nor the energy to redo some upholstery work on my boat. I am impressed when you guys do this kind of stuff. I am replacing my deck drains and scupper hoses this weekend and getting my transducer connected to my new GPS. I like the accent color . Looks nice .

Madhatter0

Reaction score
Ok so found a good stapler at home depot the arrow t-50 brand does the monel staples with enough power to push them in just redid the first one and completed another. drying out the next 2 now then repeat. while im at it. going to give a varnish to the wood rails under them. Then compound and wax the interior. Finally run the under gunnel led light strips. I found the monel staples at a local hardware store in fort lauderdale. I know you can order them from west marine as well

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What are you drying out? I'm interested in this. I need to do mine hopefully by next season.

Madhatter0

Reaction score
What are you drying out? I'm interested in this. I need to do mine hopefully by next season.
The foam under the vinyl was wet (very wet) at the bottom and has proabbly been that way for a while when i squeezed it out the water was green from the alage or waht ever it was growing in it. It also was staining the inside of the vinyl. I sprayed it with some mold killer not bleach since i dont want to eat up the foam. By placing a layer of plastic between the vinyl and foam im hoping to make a barrier to keep the water out. NOt that ill be checking this until its time to do it again. THinking about drilling some holes in the back as well to help with draining and allowing air to get in but not sure about that yet.

seasick

Reaction score
Here is what mine looked like. I replaced the foam with a product called Dry Fast. It does not absorb water and doesn't need to be wrapped. It is so porous that when I used liquid contact cement with a brush to glue up the thicker areas, the glue actually drained right out. Spray adhesive works better.
First pic is back of vinyl, second is actual original foam.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

seasick

Reaction score
It is a trim piece that gets sewn or stapled to the edges of the bolster to make things look nice and neat. You can buy te cord and cut som vinyl to make your own ( with the proper sewing machine foot) or you cab but it premade which is a LOT easier.
Here is an example

seasick

Reaction score
It is a trim piece that gets sewn or stapled to the edges of the bolster to make things look nice and neat. You can buy te cord and cut som vinyl to make your own ( with the proper sewing machine foot) or you cab but it premade which is a LOT easier.
Here is an example

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Good topic. Looking at mine off a 2007 Marlin.

Attachments

• 20200515_180023.jpg
    20200515_180023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200514_164708.jpg
    20200514_164708.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 27