replacement fuel sending unit

7knots

Reaction score
I 1994 Seafarer 226 that I believe I need to replace my unit in the tank. Fuel gage is flashing and the ground looks good. Does anyone know where and what to order for a direct replacement?

Thanks

no problem

Reaction score
i just ordered 2 from these people. they seemed superior to the origional ones. remove the old one and measure as per the instructions on the website. search this forum, lots of people use them. 30% off today, i paid full price last week :cry: i used the sss/ssl model. hope this helps :wink: http://www.wemausa.com/index.htm

Reactions: igblack87

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He can call Grady to get the sender length, order first, then swap out at same time.

The WEMA's are superior to OEM. IMHO.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I replaced the senders in both my main and aux. tanks.

You need a WEMA P/N 153042 SSL 15" Fuel/water SAE 5 holes 316 St/ST sender

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Check your battery before changing. If voltage is under 12 it may be your battery not getting enough juice to the sender to let it read above empty. I changed one for nothing, it turned out I had a dead cell in one of my batterys.

GREYLOCK

Reaction score
Wema

I also just replaced mine with a wema one. Just one look at the difference in quality of materials and workmanship i knew it was much better than the original. I also purchased a new gauge from them. i bought it about a month ago they were offering i believe 30% off at the time.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't Do What I Did

I got the OEM from Isspro on the left coast - very expensive. Get the Wema. You can probably by 3 Wema for the cost of an Isspro.

DonLINY

Reaction score
I needed to replace the sending unit on aux tank last year. I called Grady to get the length. They were helpful and told me I need a 17" unit. I ordered the new unit but unfortunatly when I went to replace it I took out the old one which was over 30 inches!! Luckily my local parts store had one in stock. The info I got from grady cost me a sending unit and a few hours extra time. Good Luck

PS: don't over tighten the screws!!

seabob4

Reaction score
DonLINY said:
I needed to replace the sending unit on aux tank last year. I called Grady to get the length. They were helpful and told me I need a 17" unit. I ordered the new unit but unfortunatly when I went to replace it I took out the old one which was over 30 inches!! Luckily my local parts store had one in stock. The info I got from grady cost me a sending unit and a few hours extra time. Good Luck

Good to see CS on the ball... :roll:

Mainegrady

Reaction score
I think I have to change out my fuel sender as well, my yamaha digital fuel gauge is blinking one bar.

Do you know if you have to calibrate the yamaha gauge after you swap in a new sender?

Can you replace the sending unit thru the access hatch?

Thanks in advance

georgemjr

Reaction score
I can't specifically speak to your year and model, but can tell you about my sender fix: '06 33 express. I had to change out my main tank sender, did so with the OEM unit, purchased from CT. It was just the inside resistor, did not require taking out the sender. I also ordered the Aux tank sender (complete unit) from WEMA. The complete unit was the same price as just the insert (before the 30% off!), and was shipped same day, received much quicker. The OEM required a follow up phone call after not receiving it for a week, to which the guy said he could get it out that day (they obviously hadn't bothered to fill the order til I busted their chops). Anyway both work great and shouldn't require any calibration of the gauge, however, somewhere along the line, my gauge setting had been changed and I had to change it back. My gauge has 3 settings US, Euro, and Yamaha. It was set to Yamaha which would only show half full. I switched it back to US (as per Yamaha tech support) and it functions perfect now. There is no calibration available and settings should not have to be changed. I think I inadvertendly changed it while "customizing" the gauge.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DonLINY said:

Where is your tank located?
30" deep ?

SeattleGW

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Similar problem on an ‘08 282 Sailfish. So one should:

1.Reset the gauge back to “US” from “Yamaha” or “Euro”

And if that doesn’t resolve the problem:

2. Order a new WEMA unit after determining the length by removing the old one (rather than contacting GW CS).

How did you know which specific WEMA unit to order? I’ve heard people say that one should not get a sender unit with a flotation device for reading but rather the electronic version. Any thoughts here?

seasick

Reaction score
The KUS ( WEMA) has a float that slides up and down. It has no mechanical connection to the sender electronics. The mechanical float arm types are the ones to avoid if possible. On those, the float does rotate a potentiometer that changes resistance as the arm swings.
The best way to get the correct length is to measure the dept of the tank at the sender hole. For metal tanks, order a sender that is 1/2 inch shorter. For poly tanks, subtract an inch.

SeattleGW

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Excellent, great to know. Are you familiar with the Yamaha Command Link Speed Fuel (Box) gauge set in “Yamaha”, “US”, or “Euro” mode? Ask b/c it is showing exactly half-full when the gas tank is at capacity and was at 1/8 bars when the tank was 1/4 full. May have accidentally flipped it into “Yamaha” mode when it should be in “US” but don’t know how to change that setting back.

Attachments

• 60FD4496-0F64-4D94-B10A-57D6FC443F79.jpeg
    60FD4496-0F64-4D94-B10A-57D6FC443F79.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you have a wema in there now, the length is stamped in code on the top of the sender.

seasick

Reaction score
Excellent, great to know. Are you familiar with the Yamaha Command Link Speed Fuel (Box) gauge set in “Yamaha”, “US”, or “Euro” mode? Ask b/c it is showing exactly half-full when the gas tank is at capacity and was at 1/8 bars when the tank was 1/4 full. May have accidentally flipped it into “Yamaha” mode when it should be in “US” but don’t know how to change that setting back.
Try this document
look at page 31
You can download the manual and print it for reference