Replacing all the Halogen Lights in a 330 Express with LED Lights

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
After my first multi day trip on my “new to me” 330, I knew I had to update my lighting. The incandescent lights overwhelmed the battery charger at night. Ive started with the dome lights, switching the Cantalupe Halogen lights to the West Marine 6 3/4” Stainless white/red LED lights. They went on nicely. I originally ordered Dr LED lights and there was no cavity behind the lights to allow for wire connectors. I’m very pleased with the West lights if they hold up.
I’ve replaced the Cantalupi reading lights with the Scandvik Stainless Reading Lights. They are really nice. I’ve attached pics.
Also changed out the forward nav lights it’s Innovative Lighting Stainless LED separate deck mount Port and Starboard lights.
I’ve purchased the Taco LED spreader lights. Still have to install those.
I figure all these new lights lit up at one time will use way less amps then one of the old spreader lights! 9D8E1FAB-E8FF-4BD5-B7D8-BFC8CF5CE8AD.jpeg

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did the new running lights have the same footprint? I've changed my interiors, spreaders, and anchor light (which stays on all night at anchor) to LED.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did the new running lights have the same footprint? I've changed my interiors, spreaders, and anchor light (which stays on all night at anchor) to LED.
Yes, the nav lights fit perfectly. Innovative Lighting discontinued them, but they still have white powder coated stainless ones.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the reading lights. Nice upgrade.

Jargon

Reaction score
LED’s are the way to go, no doubt. Nice work usmm!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wh’s anchor light did you use? I need to do mine.
Don't remember the exact brand, but I used the same base and and found an LED replacement after checking the visibility distance requirement. May have been DR LED. I also did my Scout and I seem to remember it had a slightly different base.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Very nice. I am thinking of doing the exact same project switching interior lights to LED. Glad to hear you like the Scandvik. Their products are first rate.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
oooh! Exactly what I have wanted to do. The new top has LED, but I was not sure how to swap out all the "standard lights"... i.e. cabin lights and the ones around the cabin and walk-around area.

Was/is there a way to just swap the bulbs to LED, or do we have to actually pull the lights themselves and replace with LED lights?

If you have links to the products you used, that would be so appreciated.

Russ

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
oooh! Exactly what I have wanted to do. The new top has LED, but I was not sure how to swap out all the "standard lights"... i.e. cabin lights and the ones around the cabin and walk-around area.

Was/is there a way to just swap the bulbs to LED, or do we have to actually pull the lights themselves and replace with LED lights?

If you have links to the products you used, that would be so appreciated.

You need to change the whole light. It requires lots of LED in the light to get the brightness.
Russ
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...tainless-steel-switchable-red-white--12642393

That’s the dome lights
Here’s the reading and spreader lights
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2184991
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3534148

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you @usmm1234 :)

I have the first two, hoping to find the round ones outside on the deck for walking lights.

I may need to go ahead and get the inside ones in your third link though ;)

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here is a picture of the old and the new spreader lights. This was really easy. 15 minutes. BFBE81A9-CFD7-43B5-B207-9BB69F14D0A8.jpegB5AE5369-5235-4E8A-8948-0C347BA5A082.jpeg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am wondering about the lights on the deck, the ones.. not even sure what they are called.. heh.. me.. I would call them "floor lights" or "running lights, although many term them something else, but the Navy part of me thinks of them as the lights you use to see where you are walking heh.

R

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am wondering about the lights on the deck, the ones.. not even sure what they are called.. heh.. me.. I would call them "floor lights" or "running lights, although many term them something else, but the Navy part of me thinks of them as the lights you use to see where you are walking heh.

R
That’s a great question. They are called cockpit lights. There is virtually no LED replacement I know of under $120 each, Ouch! I’m going to do some measuring today. Scandvik has a flush mount that may work, but it’s 4” overall diameter which is kinda big.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@usmm1234 - I hear ya. Of all the things we replace that are crazy prices, that may be one we have to bite the bullet on, simply for ease.. heh. Did you have a link to one of the ones that you found that worked, even if over $100?

By the way, searching ideas.. there is an old old post from like 2008 that discusses fire issues with LED replacements that are just "swapped out" for halogens. Since, underway, the spreader lights will be the main usage, I am thinking the cockpit lights would not be a big deal as they are right, too much voltage to the LED lights could be an issue. So, may not worry about those ones for now and just focus on the main ones, or add LED lighting around the gunnels aftermarket.

R

Last edited:
Reactions: usmm1234

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
@usmm1234 - I hear ya. Of all the things we replace that are crazy prices, that may be one we have to bite the bullet on, simply for ease.. heh. Did you have a link to one of the ones that you found that worked, even if over $100?

By the way, searching ideas.. there is an old old post from like 2008 that discusses fire issues with LED replacements that are just "swapped out" for halogens. Since, underway, the spreader lights will be the main usage, I am thinking the cockpit lights would not be a big deal as they are right, too much voltage to the LED lights could be an issue. So, may not worry about those ones for now and just focus on the main ones, or add LED lighting around the gunnels aftermarket.

R
https://www.apexlighting.com/boat-lights/venus-3-led-courtesy-light/

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
very nice, thank you! May grab one or two at a time, after I get the rest of the boat going lol.

R

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

R

All the new LED lights have high and low voltage protection as well as reverse polarity protection. In 2008 the LED bulbs and circuit boards were just developing. A halogen bulb is a lot more likely to start a fire. Most of the new LED’s will operate from 9 to 32 volts.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

R

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-Round-Transom-FO-3906/dp/B01LQTJ3TM

I’ve ordered 3 of these to try verses the $120 ones. I’ll let you know if they are worth a a darn.

Last edited:
Reactions: spx1000

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
https://www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-Round-Transom-FO-3906/dp/B01LQTJ3TM

I’ve ordered 3 of these to try verses the $120 ones. I’ll let you know if they are worth a a darn.

I got the Amazon cockpit lights in. They look great and are totally affordable. I attached the pic of the original Atwood incandescent light and the new LED replacement.
The new LED lights were just way to bright, so We added the clam shell vents over them. This worked great. I had to cut an inch off the bottom of the 2 clam shell vents in the cockpit. I lined up the bottom of the vent with the bottom of the light. They now light the whole cockpit up without the blinding brightness.
F78CA6D1-2984-451B-87D1-F441AB2C099B.jpeg8AFF78AF-92E1-46AE-98C8-E1D70424B62F.jpegDB423CAB-3AFC-46EA-A7C1-4819BBB70CFF.jpeg2F6B7AE4-6EEB-4115-AF8D-2B592B7F2F5C.jpeg

Last edited: