Replacing Fuel Fill lines Offshore 24?

Cow Hunter

Reaction score
I have an 87 Offshore 24 that needs to have the fill lines replaced. They are the originals and have been pretty stubborn so far. They have dried up and lost all of their elasticity and seem to be permanently bent throughout the deck. I was able to remove the aft lines for the main tank, but the forward aux tank lines wont come out in either direction. They are mounted from the starboard gunwale, through underneath the cockpit chair to the forward tank chamber - a lot of turns.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any braces or collars to be removed?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you get a look from down below? It may be siliconed where it goes through stringers and may take some work to get it out. People have posted horror stories of re-doing the fill lines. If you can't see where it goes, don't pull it out without pulling the new one (or some kind of pull tape) with it.

catch22

Reaction score
When I had the floor board over the main fuel tank removed, (had it recored) there were 1 or 2 nylon straps on the fuel lines. Don't know for sure about the auxillary tank, but probably has them too.

JT73

Reaction score
I have a 88 242G and replaced mine a few years ago. Take the inspection cover and trim ring off below the fuel fill and below the fuse panel and remove the fuse panel cover. Cut away all the silicone until you can move the fill hose in and out of the floor penetration. Then go to the fwd fuel compartment and do the same thing. Both ends of my hose were also secured with wire ties. DO NOT use a line when pulling the old hose out, it will get hung up when you start pulling the new hose through. Attach the new hose directly to the old hose and pull it fwd through the inspection cover hole in the cabin. This job would be much easier with two people but can be done with one.

OakIsland

Reaction score
If those lines are original, then you will probably want to replace the original fill and vent lines as well.

I began to notice an odor of fuel when filling up. Upon checking, I found the original fill lines (and vents) in my '87 232G were cracked and incredibly hard.

rnorrk

Reaction score
those lines are hard to do but they can be done .I did both tanks fill and vent. my front tank fill hose was wedged tightly under seat and partly sealed to stringer you need a second set of hands it will be a lot easier also wear long seleves and when your buying new hose check the date tools needed hacksaw tape 5200 i joined old with new used a piece of pvc and screwed it and duck taped started at tank also dont froget the new fuel tank if the tanks are orignal pull them and have them checked your there already mine leaked right were the bottom rubber straps were for support tank was beyond repair good luck