replacing my generator what to go with?

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have an 01 330 express with the kohler 5e rusted out with no shield I am tired of trying to keep this thing running so I am pulling it out this weekend. I have been looking for a new diesel in the 4 to 5 kw range. I want to try and keep the cost around 5k will be doing the install myself any input would be appreciated on diffrent brands, what to look out for who's good who's bad, where to get my best deal, I'm in central florida. Thanks for any help

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Fischer-Pandas which GW (and other outboard boat builders) are using have been very popular. The fiberglass capsule provides protection from the elements and keeps it very quiet. It will run 40 hours on a 12g tank of diesel. Whether you can install it for 5K is another question. I would not hesitate to select the option on my next boat. Good luck!

jimh

Reaction score
Kipor just started producing diesels, so they may be worth a look.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got a price of around 17,000 to replace the gas kohler with a Fischer Panda Diesel. They claimed it was a big job and they had done a few of them. When I got the number I decided I would let the Kohler run as long as it could.

If you can do it yourself and save some bucks, I think those FPs are probably the best choice. I know they are quiet. Keep us posted on what you find out.

By the way, I appreciate your help with the trailer advice. I got it a few weeks ago and hope to get the boat on it soon.

ocdansar

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I found a 2007 kohler 5e with sound shield with 25 hrs on e-bay for 3500. and just could not pass on that kind of deal. I hope the shield will help keep the water off and the rust at bay.I own a paint and body shop and may paint or powder coat as much of it as I can before I install it.