repower my 1998 208

seabum

Reaction score
I have a 1998 208 with 175 yamaha 2 stroke on the boat now. I do a lot of offshore fishing in O.C. Maryland. I am looking on info about what is a good size motor to repower with. I am thinking about a 4 stroke 150 yamaha. Dose anyone have any experiance with this setup?

jpclarkie

Reaction score
I had a previous 20'Grady rigged with a 200HP engine which gave my boat plenty of power even with heavy people on board. I would recommend at least a 175 HP to a max of 200HP, 4-stroke fuel efficient engine, if that helps you out.

gw204

Reaction score
If you wanna stay with Yamaha, go with the 200 HPDI. A 200 Opti will give you better mileage and performance through.

You don't wanna find yourself down on power coming through that inlet.

fishgo208

Reaction score
Just curious why you are looking to repower? I have the same set up and fish offshore often. Great performance from this engine. Have you had problems?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are going to loose a lot of torque with the 4 cylinder four stroke F150 over your current setup, a V6.

Find a Grady dealer with the boat for sale even a later model and an F150, sea trial it, act like you are interested in the boat.

See if the loss in power to accelerate suits you, before blowing off the $15K.

Opinions by other are subjective, doesn't mean you will feel the same way.

wsh2fsh

Reaction score
repower

I have an older 204 with a 225 honda and the extra weight of the four stroke does affect the ride (bow light).

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think BobP has good advice. Go sea trial your hull with an F150 to see if you are OK with the difference. I've not ridden in one personally, but from what I've read and been told, the F150 adequate for most situations, but borders on underpowered for some, especially when loaded up with fuel, bait, gear, guys, when heading offshore. Other than maybe not being the most fuel efficient motor in the world, that 2-stroke 175 Yamaha is known to be extremely reliable (as ours has been as well). If you're looking to extend your range, $15k buys a lot of jerry cans and gas! :D

Barlow46

Reaction score
I had a 1996 208 adventure that I used to fish out of Port Canaveral with and it had a 200 saltwater series 2 stroke. It seemed to be the perfect engine for that hull although there were times with a heavy following sea that I would liked to have had about 25 more horses. I would not consider anything under a 200 for any offshore fishing. I would also stay with the lighter two stoke, I know my scruppers would take in some water with two of us in the corner with the 200 engine. I am sure the 4-stroke would add another 75 plus pounds. Just my two cents worth....

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seabum said:
I have a 1998 208 with 175 yamaha 2 stroke on the boat now. I do a lot of offshore fishing in O.C. Maryland. I am looking on info about what is a good size motor to repower with. I am thinking about a 4 stroke 150 yamaha. Dose anyone have any experiance with this setup?

It's a great motor, quiet and works fine 98% if the time. It's the right weight, I wouldn't want any more back there, but then I run a 32gallon live well on the floor in front of the motor and that's got to be a couple of hundred pounds.

I see no good reason for more power in the ocean, but in really calm water where you can run at 40+ a bigger motor would be nice. I just don't understand where more power comes in running big waves, I guess I just don't have experience with that in a runabout.

Definately get a demo on one if you can, you may not be happy coming from a bigger 2-stroke. Giving up 25 ponies and going to a four stroke might leave you wanting more.

If I was repowering would probably go with a 175 Suzuki. The 200hpdi is a great choice if you're okay with a 2-stroke. I like e-Tec's, but not everyone does and if they don't start selling more of them I wonder how long Bombardier will hang on. But the 175 would be a dynomite motor on a 208. I don't know enough about Mercs to comment, but there are proponents for the Optimax. I just can quit thinking about 'opti-bomb' :wink:

Odie

Reaction score
I am re-powering with a 150 Suzuki 4 stroke. Total cost with new gauges, controls, electricals and labor looks to be around $13K. Plenty of power, correct weight, etc, Removing a 1986 Johnson 140. Poor ol' thing won't steer right anymore and repair to core is more than the motor is worth.