Repower or sell?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Im in a pickel. The Yamaha 200s on my boat now are not worth rebuilding the engines run fine but the lower units are junk. I talked to a zuke dealer today and he told me that he could get my boat repowered with 2-175 zuke 4S rigged and everything for at the very most $30,000 but most likely less. Im not worried about him telling fibs or his workmanship. He said they would be just as powerful as my Yami's and burn half the gas. My concerns are:

The weight on my grady-bracket of the 4S vs the 2S.
Is it worth it? My hull is in very good shape the boat itself has very few hours on it, It has all but been refitted. (new gas tanks, electronics, rigging, ect)
Has anyone herd anything bad about Suzukis?

Im trying to sell it but I know I wont get what I have put into it back.
I dont want to sell it at all really.
I know these old engines are going to start nickel and dimming me to death and wont help me sell it.

Any opinions??
Thanks

amr72

Reaction score
I would only repower if you plan on keeping the boat for a LONG time, otherwise you will get killed when you try to sell. The other problem is that since the boat is already 20 years old and pre-SeaV-2 hull, I don't know how much value is there. I guess I am saying that I would try and sell it for a rock bottom price as it is and then move up to something that has already been repowered. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but since you asked, that is my honest opinion.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Go to IBoats and look around. You may be able to find new lower units at prices that will surprize. While Zukes are good motors, I wouldn't spend $30K on a boat that's maybe worth a few thousand. I'd wait to see if the recreational marine industry survives before dropping that chunk of change ... :?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I see what you guys are saying. I looked it up on bluebook and its worth ~ $20,000. I know I wont get near that if i sell it. I havent even gotten a hit on it yet. I hope i can find some good LUs at a decent price.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a friend with a '90 Gulfstream that was in the same predicament; repair the engines, re-power or replace the boat. He ended up finding a place in Florida that sells re-built lower units for around $1500 ea, with a full year warranty (including a $300 trade-in allowance for the old lower unit), and free freight. He told me the place was a pleasure to deal with, and the units looked and performed like new ones. I think the name of the place was Seiler Marine in Panama City. (www.seilermarine.com).

So if you're thinking of keeping those engines, even if it's just to get a better price when you sell the boat, this might be worth a look.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's another possible problem. If the shift rod hasn't been replaced it's probably not in that good of shape and the powerhead has to be removed to change it (ugly).

Never repower with new thinking you'll be ahead, 4S has all the rage but the resale will not be anywhere near what you dump in. Why not look into a used pair of OX's (8-9K for a pair sure beats 30)?

With all this talk of SeaV2 and non SeaV2, has anyone been on both versions and can comment?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
With all this talk of SeaV2 and non SeaV2, has anyone been on both versions and can comment?

Yes. SV2 doesn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but it does smooth out the ride to a limited degree ... :wink:

jehines3

Reaction score
Have you checked this site.

http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/suzuki_outboards.htm

Anyway my local Suzuki dealer had a pair of 225's when I was thinking of this. They were trade ins and a fairly good deal. I don't think new motors on an old boat is financially the best move. If you really want the boat back pronto search for a pair of lightly used motors.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
repower

With the Yami 200's being such a popular engine, you can't find a pair w/ blown power heads? If just the lower units are gone, why not replace them? On my old BW I replaced a lower unit on an older Yami w/ no ill effects. You will not be as happy with the performance of the 4 strokes vs. the 2's on the back.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
Because so many people have bought in to the 4 stroke thing and hate spending money on something they burn, there is a lot of false economy people out there selling their low hour used 2 strokes for nothing to buy the expensive newer technology motors that they will never recoupe their money on. Look for one of those deals and put the money saved towards fuel and oil!

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
Im looking for some rebuilt lower units and i have an eye out for some OX60s as well It sounds like repowering with engines that are a few years old is a much better choise. I have found a place in Miami that looks to be the cheapest for LUs. One is ok for a little while longer but I need one now for sure.

Thanks for the help you guys know more about this than I do.

speaking of repowering with newer Yamis would they use the same rigging? Or would i still have to strip everything out?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CaptKennyW said:
speaking of repowering with newer Yamis would they use the same rigging? Or would i still have to strip everything out?

You'll need adapters for some connections.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CaptK, depends on how long you intend to keep the boat and of course your budget. Same situation I was in a few years ago.

Is your boat otherwise ok? Do you want a different boat smaller or bigger?

If you like what you have and intend to keep it a longer time (as i do), then new motors = new boat, simple as that. A new Grady comparable to what you have now is pushing $200K delivered.

I see you want 4 strokes, the Zukie 175s are similar weight to conventional 2 stroke V6 200s, so they will work. I doubt $30K, I would say total bill more like $35k+ since they have to rerig from yamaha to Zukie. If you were interested in 2 strokes at the same weight, more power and torque than Zukie, and much lower price, twin 200 HPDIs should be considered.

If you don't intend to keep the boat long, get what's wrong fixed, and sell it, before something else goes wrong. T&T units are next and not cheap. When you go down the road to maintaining older twins, you are commiteed to staying in it so expect major expenses to continue. Or as I advised, get a used spare third engine in working condition many available for less than $2K, and use it as spare next time one acts up and it's costly to fix. You can get an entire engine for near the cost to rebuild just one lower unit.

Good luck!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If staying yamaha, the dealer may recommend new mechanical cables for warrranty concerns, but existing controls and instruments and cabling should work, you can check with Ande at THT SIM to be sure, I'm not.

The dealer will try to sell you the more expensive command link setup, probably. You can always upgrade later to the fancy system to avoid teh cost now.

New rigging and props alone costs about half a motor, should you go Zukie. if you want to stay yamaha and go 4 stroke, you can do the F150s, at a substantial loss in torque and power over what you have now, but will avoid plenty on rigging $$. I have not looked at prices recently, but would say the F150s and 200 HPDIs will cost about the same as a total package repower.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
The boats hull is in very good shape. I want to keep the boat for a while but with 93 oct pushing $4.50 i dont know if thats even possible, I dont even know if I could get $10g for it if it was ready to fish this second. I was looking at the zuke 175s as they are about the same weight as my current engines.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouldn't go less than 175's, it's a lot of boat for twin 150's.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I bite the bullet and did a full repower on the boat and it ran me about $33 grand in 06. Nothing like going to the dock and they fire up everytime.

And dont forget all of us with older boats and new motors will never get that money back . And neither will a guy who dumped 150 or 300 grand on a new Grady ever get his money back.

Its something our whole family loves and thats what really counts. :wink: