Repowered 2001 Seafarer 228 - First Water Test

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got a chance to water test my old Seafarer 228 yesterday in Lake Washington. I've only had this boat out 4 times total and only once with the 2001 F225 engine. Previously a Yamaha 200hp HPDI. I installed the engine myself. Got a counter rotation motor from a forum member here. Only issue so far, is a notice the lower unit has a crack in cav plate, near chip, which I saw. I need to get it welded up now.

Performance numbers were similar with both engines. I got slightly faster with the F225. Different props but both 17P. (yes it had the exhaust update)

Engine ran great when I through the hammer down and jumped right on plane. Mounted on 4th (highest hole) on engine and highest hole on bracket for a total of 3.5" above hull. 36" setback. Still haven’t tested in any waves, could ventilate.

Performance numbers with 17P prop
42 MPH at 6000 rpm max
32 mph at 4500 rpm
27 mph at 4000 rpm

in a lake, no current or wind. (maybe could have got 43 but ran out of room)

Kevin, (also forum member) spotted me from Gasworks park and got a photo of my boat. Thanks Kevin!

25EF4FD4-2DDE-4FBA-BD57-7CB896F09AC7.jpegDA0C6075-6D3E-4BF3-8466-E52C7BF1172E.jpeg2C209E33-C6C1-4E2A-AB1C-507EACCC84AF.jpeg6B6874A3-4A3C-438F-B0D0-364D0983E0F5.jpeg46BAE3A6-3CDD-4CB1-B0B1-800A23EFB6CD.jpeg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your in good company Drifter, I have a counter rotation as well. Just do everything backwards LOL.

Awesome stats and congratulations are in order!!

Hoping you post some nice salmon pics in the near future ;)

PS-Loved the foot on the steering wheel...

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your in good company Drifter, I have a counter rotation as well. Just do everything backwards LOL.

Awesome stats and congratulations are in order!!

Hoping you post some nice salmon pics in the near future ;)

PS-Loved the foot on the steering wheel...

Yup backwards! I’ll have to get used to pulling the throttle handle backwards to go forward!

J/K

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What’s the slowest Seafarers can plane out? I don’t have enough time on mine to know.
Drifter, my 228 starts to level at 16mph, and by 18mph I am on plane.

My motor is only 200 HP, and high altitude degrades performance, so I am also curious what others will say.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
We have a 15 kt speed limit under Sydney harbour bridge mine just planes then. If I use trim tabs she is fully on plane and can maintain the set revs and speed.. I have a 250hp 4.2 Yamaha , spinning a saltwater series 2, 17" prop.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Happy to report that she rides great with the motor mounted as high as it will go. I have about 30 hours on the motor now. No issues at all in chop. Haven't been in huge seas but seems fine so far. I'm not moving it. My boat rides pretty low in water so happy it's higher.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My factory rigged 08 228 had the motor on hole number two on the engine and top hole on the bracket. Your boat being pre-stroke era might like that engine where it is. I repowered in 17 to a 4.2 liter 250 and it sits on hole 2 on the motor , top on bracket. My motor is like 80 pounds lighter than yours so there is that. What I found to be a good thing for the boat is a 4 blade prop. It helps with following seas, turns, and improved fuel economy at cruise . We also get more manueverability in reverse at the dock.

Great set up.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I will add my congrats as well..From the foam dissipation in the wake, it looks like your running in fresh water.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My factory rigged 08 228 had the motor on hole number two on the engine and top hole on the bracket. Your boat being pre-stroke era might like that engine where it is. I repowered in 17 to a 4.2 liter 250 and it sits on hole 2 on the motor , top on bracket. My motor is like 80 pounds lighter than yours so there is that. What I found to be a good thing for the boat is a 4 blade prop. It helps with following seas, turns, and improved fuel economy at cruise . We also get more manueverability in reverse at the dock.

Great set up.

Interesting, mine sure does seem stern heavy. Bracket is barely above water at rest. Of course I have a 130 lb kicker and bracket on back also. Moved batts to other side to compensate. Fuel makes sit lower as well of course. 2 group 24 deep cycles. Also the swim bracket wood core is saturated I believe.

I would like to try a four blade prop. But I don’t need any more hole shot. Fuel economy and dock maneuverability would be pretty sweet. What brand and pitch did you go with? I’m worried about buying the wrong pitch and being stuck with an expensive paperweight. My counter rotating 17 pitch 3 blade feels right for the loads I carry fishing/camping.

So does that mean I get a 15 pitch four blade?

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
"42 MPH at 6000 rpm max
32 mph at 4500 rpm
27 mph at 4000 rpm "

What propeller? You might run some calcs in a prop slip calculator to see what your efficiency is, because I don't think those numbers are that great. My reference is a 226 with 225 two-stroke, so if the 228 is a lot heavier then I may be all wrong. But my 226 would cruise 30 mph @ 3600, 46 mph @ 5300. When I first got the boat it had a garbage flat blade prop, and the gas mileage was terrible. I changed to a Powertech 4-blade 15.25 x 17 and it went through the ceiling. FWIW

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Call Ken Reeves at Prop Gods. He sells PowerTech and can point you in the right direction. Have you hull and engine info handy and he can reference similar setups. (941) 735-5808

You should be able to improve on those numbers with a 4 blade for sure. The most immediate change I saw was instant response when shifting into gear while docking; that alone made the prop worthwhile. I can plane at lower speeds and cruising efficiency is better as well.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
K2, you can’t compare a 4stroke to a 2 stroke, huge torque difference and yes different boat. I never did a full speed run to see how fast it would go if I let it rev past 6k, but the boat was light, I was solo, full of fuel in calm water. Boat jumped up on plane. I see similar numbers now.

I would love better fuel numbers but I don’t have any numbers now since I haven’t put fuel management system in yet.

My goal is to not have a speed boat. In the conditions I run and I’ll almost never be able to go 35 mph.

From what I understand the way to prop your boat. Is to run it empty and make sure you can get to or over max RPM. That way when you’re loaded like normal with four people and fuel etc. you’ll be able to get on plane fast and cruise.
I have a stainless prop, says M17 on it. No other markings. Came from a Yamaha dealer. Had a 19 on it prior and the engine report said it never got above 5k rpms. So was over propped it’s whole life. 1200 total hours, 600 of them trolls at idle.

What prop do you think I should get? Gotta be counter rotating.

Last edited:

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used this to figure out that I wasn't doing as well as I could be: https://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

And then talked to a local prop shop who recommended the PowerTech 4 blade. I'll probably put those same ones on my new boat at some point, but I have spent enough money (and then some) this season. I'll see how it runs - mine are the same as yours - M17.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
K2Freak,

I hear you about the money spent. I spent so much making the boat mine. So don't have any money this year to replace a prop. Mines in great shape. But you got me thinking. I'll jot down some actual number loaded and unloaded in my phone then go from there.

I also noted here that the gear ratio of 2strokes is different than 4 strokes so hard to compare numbers/props.

From that link you sent:

Is it important to know your prop’s slip? Only if you care about insignificant, little items like thrust.

Slip is the most misunderstood of all propeller terms, probably because it sounds like something undesirable. Slip is not a measure of propeller efficiency. Rather, slip is the difference between actual and theoretical travel resulting from a necessary propeller blade angle of attack. If the blade had no angle of attack, there would be no slip; but, of course, there would be no positive and negative pressure created on the blades and, therefore, there would be no thrust. The Mercury Racing Prop Slip Calculator (below) lets you quickly determine propeller slip.

Here are my numbers. What they mean, I don't know.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 10.47.04 AM.png

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gear ratio is 2.01 on many of the the 3.3L 4-strokes - I didn't know that. (I knew what it was on my 225 Offshore at the time.)

Someone with more knowledge may correct me, but AFAIK 13% is good.