right trailer for 28' 282 sailfish

jay harrison

Reaction score
In the process of buying a 2001 282 sailfish with 200 two strokes and want to buy a trailer but have gotten a different answers on the weight of the trailer needed. Does anybody have any first hand information. thanks

Motivator

Reaction score
I trailer mine on a Roadking RKAV 26-28TRB with Elec/Hydraulic brakes on all six wheels. There are better trailers made, but this one has done the job.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 265, roughly about the same weight as the 282. I bought a 2011 Venture tri-axle 10300# carry capacity, surge brakes on all 3 axles, long bunks + centering guides with poly sleeves on all, LED lights, guide poles and aluminum rims for a good price out of a trailer dealer in Va Beach, Id rather have the hydraulic brakes for more control, but so far so good. Boat loads/unloads easily and follows really well.

PM me if you want more info or POC.

ahill

Reaction score
Boat Master in SW FL.
They custom fit their trailers to a particular boat.
10,000 # cap, Tandem, bronze disc brakes.
My model has 272 in the #'s indicating it was built for a 272 Sailfish

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Mine's a 2007 with F250s. Magic Tilt tandem axle, 8 lugs per 16" wheel, aluminum. Made it from FL to WA last year and we trailer 125 miles each way to our fishing area. No problems so far. And I am glad I only have the tandem. Easy to maneuver and cheaper when replacing bearings, tires, etc. I weighed boat and trailer full tanks (fuel and water), average gear for 5 on a tuna day: rear axles = 11,500#. Tongue was about 1k#.

Desperado

Reaction score
I went with these guys http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/ . My trailer was made to order for my Sailfish. Heavy duty 8 lug tandem with Kodiak brakes on both axles. The heavy duty tandems cost a little more than a standard triple axle (don't know why), but the maintenance and manueverability are better. I towed from Ft. Lauderdale to Mobile, Al with no problems.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
You'll be happy with the triaxle I think, more rubber on the road is better control, it lessens the tongue weight (my boat weighed 10300#s w/trailer) and a tongue weight of 700#s which will also make the load on your vehicle better, I tow with a 2500HD gas and havent had any issue, even the mentioned turning radius isn't bad, infact it's been a non-issue so far.

Good luck with the new ride, I was on the fence b/t a 282 and 265 myself, both great boats.

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
I wasent aware they made aluminum boat trailers with electric brakes. Those that have them; how well do they hold up in a salt environment? Seems I have to completely overhaul the surge breaks every 4 years or so no matter how much corrosion prevention or washing i do. Oh the only time I dont like the tri axel is when it comes times to buy new tires.