Ring Free vs Ring Free PLUS?

PMCbear04

Reaction score
Ring Free vs Ring Free PLUS - is there a difference? One suggested over another? If my Yamaha 250 has always been on a NON-ETHANOL diet, then is there any reason for using PLUS? It was my understanding that PLUS was developed after the massive onset of ethanol blend fuels - and to counter the harmful effects. So if ethanol has not been exposed to mine, does that infer that I should use the plain ol' original Ring Free? :hmm

Thanks!

'99 Fisherman 222
Yama 250 2-stroke

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You answered your own question there. My boat has been fed a steady diet of crap - o -nol fuels so I buy the plus version plus use stabil as well. You likely can just use the regular ring free.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, the plus version contains an additive that protects soft metal parts from sulfate corrosion that is associated with ethanol containing fuel. There is no advantage of using it with non-ethanol fuel.

Can you still get Ring Free without the plus?

Graybeard

Reaction score
I haven't seen Ring Free Plus around here. But it can't be more expensive then regular Ring Free is it?? Ring Free is expensive enough as it is.

Roarque

Reaction score
I've been told by Yamaha experts that ring free needs to be used on your last tank of gas before winter pull out and that it turns the engine oil BLACK when it's used then. I would imagine that a boat left in year round needs this additive maybe once per quarter or on the tank prior to an oil change.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have not noticed a difference in costs. I add what ever amount I need to treat the fuel being added, it is like 1 ounce to 10 gallons, so if I put in 60 gallons of fuel, then I add 6 ounces of ring free. I do this every time I put fuel in the boat.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've used Ring Free at the recommended dosage of 1 oz per 10 gallons just like Bob every tank. It doesn't turn the oil black. All it does is to bring the level of Techron to that found in Chevron or Texaco gas. It turns the fuel a yellow color, most likely because Ring Free uses a different solvent than automotive Techron additive in order to keep the detergent in solution in the concentration needed for marine use.

Yamaha no longer recommends owners doing the higher dosage shock treatment since that dose does contaminate the oil, which then must be changed before going back to the normal dose. They now have a dealer only shock treatment for severely carboned up engines. They do this before changing the oil.

I've only seen the "plus" version of Ring Free for the past year or so. I haven't seen the regular stuff at all.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I found this information that guided me to buy a case from Sim Yamaha of the Ring Free Plus. Was struggling to get to a place to purchase the Ring Free when down at the coast and prices were high. This makes it easy. A case is now stored in my garage and don't have to spend valuable time trying to find it in several stores that are either out of stock, or priced through the roof.

This article explains some about the protection it provides.

http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/2638.htm