Rod Holders on integrated transom

ElMar

Reaction score
I know I saw a post somewhere but can’t find it now.

Who has put rod holders in the spot where the red dots are?

What are the spots to avoid? Any tips that can help me out?

Thanks.

1E688BC6-FA71-4A14-834F-EA7C6CA7A833.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd contact GW Cust Service on this one. See if you can get pics or drawings for that area. I'm guessing they have pics for everything and use them in their assembly processes. Better to plan and know than poke and hope. I have no idea how you get backing plates washers and nuts on. Maybe there is some new fangled blind side fastener that can take the load?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have no idea how you get backing plates washers and nuts on. Maybe there is some new fangled blind side fastener that can take the load?
Take cushion off and put in an access port....

You will have to have rodholders with drains plumbed away from the battery switches

You might need round flanges not oval in order to fit the width. Be mindful of the thickness of the vertical walls. In other words, your mounting screws have to fit the "inside" width of that wall.

You will have to use 0 degree ones there. Think about putting one to the right of your red marks, you might have room to fit a 15 degree angle backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: drbatts

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There shouldn't be anything mounted underneath the red circle area. It wouldn't make sense to put anything there - there's no reason to run wires or anything there. Can you see that area by looking up from the battery area or from that hole on the port side?

Are you looking for a place just to store the rods and/or light trolling? If so, no need for backing plates - just screw it in (unless that fiberglass is really thin). But if you want to use nuts/backing plates, that cushion should be removable. Cut an access hole or two and replace with a deck plate.

What's that black thing to stbd of the red circles? Remove that - that would provide another way to get a look at things.

This looks to be a pretty easy job, actually.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Comes down to being comfortable if you ask me. I personally don't like the word "should" when I'm drilling significant size holes in a boat. Best to know than to find out the hard way. I personally would never secure anything in fiberglass without some sort of backside support. Even if you are just storing rods there, you can almost be sure someone will use them under load at some time and place stress on the mounting.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've installed and used literally dozens and dozens of rod holders on various boats and have just screwed them in - all still in service. But note that none of these are/were ever meant for heavy duty use. This was always into relatively thick fiberglass, as well. However, it certainly can't hurt to take extra precaution and use the backers.

By "should" I "should've" :) been more precise and said there "won't" be anything there. I've worked on enough boats (I've worked in this business full time/part time for 30 years) to know there is no logical reason to mount anything underneath that area. The only thing even in that area is that (I assume) black wash down sprayer... or whatever that is. But it's electrical wires will not be run in that area.

Besides, the fastest/best way to find out, for sure (which is always still a good idea), is to just give a quick look as it appears there is decent access.

ElMar

Reaction score
There are no wires or anything else there. Access is pretty good but probably use screws. This boat will be used primarily inshore and no big game trolling, we use the bigger boat for that.

The batteries are underneath so some sort of drain will have to be done to keep them dry.

Thanks for the advice, pretty much confirmed what I thought. Be nice to hear from someone who actually cut the holes there.

I’ll post pics when I do it, probably next spring.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On past boats if I couldn't get nuts and washers on, I used extra long wood screws and held up a piece of plywood/pvc board underneath. I trolled a 50w and caught 90# tuna with those rod holders.

Reactions: ElMar

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What's that black thing to stbd of the red circles? Remove that - that would provide another way to get a look at things.

That would be his freshwater shower/sprayer. You can remove it but all it's good for is to look in, to small of a hole to be of any use to get at the bolts.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What’s good to use for a rod holder drain?
There are aftermarket ways(TH Marine end cap drain) to make open an bottom rod holder closed with a fitting but..

Its easiest to buy them with a drain...a barbed fitting that you connect vinyl tubing to. Route it to the bilge always downhill.
To get fancy you can buy TH marine Push-in Impact drain fittings and route the drain out to the deck instead of the bilge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Electrical wires... ummm, yeah, whoever said that the sprayer would have electrical wires going to it was not thinking straight when he wrote that. :)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'd also suggest getting the rod holders that have rubber caps on the holes.
That would be his freshwater shower/sprayer. You can remove it but all it's good for is to look in, to small of a hole to be of any use to get at the bolts.
It would provide an easy way to check the thickness of that area - and also as a double check to see if there's anything in the way, though.

ElMar

Reaction score
same as the TH marine ones, they'll work.

One thing to remember when you have drains on rodholders...
BAIT will not fall thru them...

I generally don’t keep my bait in the rod holders.

Lol.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take a look at these Gemlux holders- especially if you're going to install an access hatch. The bottom is provided with a 1/4" NPT connection for a drain. No visible screws as well. Built like a thru hull! I have 2 on my 265 transom and they've been perfect for over 5 years- very high quality.

http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/rodholders-bluewater_2/105527

ElMar

Reaction score
Price is a little high, 3-4 rod holders be worth more than the boat needs.

Probably going to go with round, solid stainless top rodholders and some sort of cap and tube for the drain. Would like to get 4 in there hopefully do the whole job for around $100-$140.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When I can't see in a space, the first thing I do is to stick my phone in there and start shooting photos. Looks like you has access from the battery compartment, and from the hatch to port.
There might also be enough slope to that seat backrest to allow a 15* rod holder, unless you just want vertical storage.