Rope slipping of anchor wench

petermont

Reaction score
My anchor rope is slipping..It's 6 years old. Is it the rope or something else? Thanks

Peter
Chesapeake 290

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this an all rope rode, or is there chain. Is the line physically slipping - meaning the gypsy is still turning? Or is the gypsy not turning? The later may simply require tightening the clutch (but if you have chain, and the chain pulls up fine, then it's not the clutch). Otherwise it could be as simple as a stiff line that is salted up. Try cleaning/soaking the line real well and then soaking in fabric softener. Another option is to just cut off a few feet of the line where it's spliced to the chain and re-splice (which is not hard to do). You could also flip the line end-for-end. Does it get better if you push on the finger (carefully!!!)?

petermont

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply..The 10' chain works fine with the gypsy..the rope just isn't catching..i'll try the soaking and fabric softener way..If not do i buy a new rope...Sorry it's my first boat.. Peter

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Buy a new rope"... It depends on how bad the rope is (salty, dirty, etc). In most cases they can be saved through some combination of cleaning, flipping end for end or cutting and re-splicing.

Another way to clean it is to cut it from the chain, take it home, put it in a mesh bag and put it in your washing machine - front loader's work better than one with an agitator - just in case the rope comes out of the bag. Could always go to a laundromat, too. Then soak it in a pail of water and fabric softener for a day. If you don't know how to splice, or don't want to take a chance on it for the first time, there's usually someone at the marina that knows how to do it. New England Ropes has a good online tutorial.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you decide to soak in fabric softener, mix it with the water first! If not, your line could end up with blue spots until it wears away. Ask me how I know... for a while I could measure the amount of line I put out by the stains in the line. :-|

Also if you have plaited line, there are few people who know how to anchor splice it, in my area anyway.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Referring to the female in your life as "the anchor wench" can not possibly have a happy ending. And how are you trying to tie her if the rope is slipping?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

petermont

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. Fabric softener did the trick

Peter

ahill

Reaction score
By new anchor line. Get a good quality like New England braid that is sized right for your winch.
I tried all of the mentioned tricks without success. My line was stiff and wouldn't lay right in the rope locker, bunches up and doesn't give the incoming line the required free fall clearance causing the slip.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
petermont said:
Thanks so much for your help. Fabric softener did the trick

Peter

That's great, Peter. I'm glad it worked for you. Try to at least rinse the rope a few times each season with a hose - you can do it right there in the anchor locker. That will at least help to keep it softer, longer. If you have a washdown hose at the bow, you can rinse it as it comes in.