Salty dogs and why I love this forum

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I get on my local California forum some, truth be told I hang here more. But since I'm very new to running a boat, less than 6 months, I get on the local forum and I make it clear that I know nothing. I want to learn. Should be fine, right?

Some dude on the forum gave me crap and said I was trying to take shortcuts, I should just put on my big boy pants and go learn. Which I have been doing, I can launch alone, I can dock alone, I can take you out and put you on fish and I'll get you home. So screw that dude. He would judge me if I went out with no experience, and he's judging me for asking for help. I love all the help I have gotten here and there.

You guys have been so welcoming, I'm internet friends with magicbill (and I love that). I sort of didn't expect that, Gradys are expensive, I thought it would be entitled jerks. It's been nothing like that, it's a combo of people who have made money but don't want to flaunt it and other younger dudes that pull a 20 year or 30 year old grady apart and rebuild it. Both types are people who have managed to do stuff.

I did not expect this, I thought I was buying a reliable boat, and I did. But the community has been beyond cool. I'm very happy to be here and hang with all of you, you guys are great.

I might waxing eloquent a bit more than normal, I went out today and pulled the first crab pots I've dropped. Got 9 dungys. Did that with my kid, it was yet another great day in our Grady. I might be a Grady snob :)

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
These days I think everyone needs to be friendlier and more patient with one another.
Glad you are having good luck here.

Fishtales

Reaction score
^^^ This. No experts here, we're all learning and sharing. No question is a dumb one. My belief is to influence and address what you can control and let the rest pass by. We all started at the same place at one time. Good luck with the new boat.

Reactions: Fuzz and Zebulon

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
LD you sound like you’ve got your head on straight and your humble.
Also sounds like you’ve got your basic skills down enough to get out, have fun and get back safe.
2thumbs up!
Always Keep learning and stay humble because when you think you know everything and can handle anything it’ll surely come back to bite you in the butt.
That goes for any and all of us.
;)

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Always Keep learning and stay humble because when you think you know everything and can handle anything it’ll surely come back to bite you in the butt.
That goes for any and all of us.
;)

This right here. *Every* time I think I have that boat figured out, and I mean every single time, something new comes around to teach me I have a lot to learn. So I guess humble is about right, you get cocky around your boat and she'll smack some sense into you. At least mine does :cool:

Reactions: Lt.Mike

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
^^^ This. No experts here, we're all learning and sharing. No question is a dumb one. My belief is to influence and address what you can control and let the rest pass by. We all started at the same place at one time. Good luck with the new boat.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Greatgrady has been nothing but this, helpful friendly people. You all should give yourselves a pat on the back because you've remained civil when everyone else seems to have forgotten how to do that.

Personally, I think it's more fun to be helpful. I ran into a guy at the harbor who had a new-to-him Parker. His first boat. We talked enough that I learned that it was new, I said I had been through that recently and I was scared shitless the first 5-6 times I went out, still have a healthy respect for the ocean, the boat, the whole deal. He lit up like a christmas tree and said "So it's not just me?" I said it might be just the two of us but I suspect everyone is scared when they start out. We talked for quite a while, I think it helped him. He felt better, I felt good because I helped a little, seems like the right answer.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have heard so much about how The Hull Truth (or THT, right?) throws out written smirks, innuendos and downright insults that I decided to go visit. I didn't sign on to post, just dialed it up and looked around...

I found the insults and cat-calling to be there, but I also found some good info if you take time to wade thru the comments. I suppose the hi percentage of cat-calling is due to the massive numbers of people who frequent the website. There are more weirdo's in NYC than in Hagerstown, Indiana ...I guess the same holds true for websites.

It also made me realize this is a much better place. People come here to talk Grady's, exchange info, exchange ideas, exchange dreams, and enjoy their boats. Kudos to Seafarer 228G, (Our Fearless Leader) for putting together a real forum that works.

Plus, I get to meet people like LuckyDude. If we weren't separated by a Continent and a Pandemic, I would hang with him some, take a boat ride and catch some "Lings." (Whatever they are...) All the while I would keep trying to convince him to trim out more while underway. (It's a process, Rome wasn't built in a day....)

Here's to all the good people on here; Enjoy the Holidays, enjoy your Grady's and Give Thanks for the Blessings we have.

Reactions: Fuzz and Sdfish

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
It also made me realize this is a much better place. People come here to talk Grady's, exchange info, exchange ideas, exchange dreams, and enjoy their boats. Kudos to Seafarer 228G, (Our Fearless Leader) for putting together a real forum that works.

Plus, I get to meet people like LuckyDude. If we weren't separated by a Continent and a Pandemic, I would hang with him some, take a boat ride and catch some "Lings." (Whatever they are...) All the while I would keep trying to convince him to trim out more while underway. (It's a process, Rome wasn't built in a day....)

Here's to all the good people on here; Enjoy the Holidays, enjoy your Grady's and Give Thanks for the Blessings we have.

Amen to all of this. I have tried to gently tell you guys, this forum is really special. People are nice and helpful. I'm a little surprised because you need to be rich to get a new Grady, rich people usually suck, no offense if you are rich but you've seen it. Maybe I'm living in a bubble but so far, all the Grady people I've met here and on the water were decent human beings. Not the typical rich jerks.

So I don't know if it is Gradys or the people who choose to hang out here, all I can say is what I've seen in the last ~6 months, I've seen nice people. And fair warning, I can be a bit of a pain in the ass. I'll be that pain to keep this forum like it is, this is a good place.

Lings? Really Magic, sec, I'll get you a picture. It's Ling cod, my kid got this one:
ling.jpg

They are the dinasours of fish. If you look in their mouth, so many teeth. But really good white meat eating.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wow: I had a vision in my head of a Ling being smaller...shows how much I know.

I'm the oddball on here, I don't fish, so I know nothing about species, names, etc. I look at the posts on the Fishing Section here and they might as well be talking in a foreign language as far as I'm concerned. We sleep aboard, cook in the galley, anchor at the beach, etc. That's the way we enjoy our Marlin.

Your son looks like a rocker; I could picture him with a Fender Strat in his hands as easily as a Ling Cod.

You guys are always wearing coats & hats & hoods; Does it ever warm up out there?

Reactions: Fuzz and Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Rich? I’ll bet the majority of Grady owners out there have used boats that were bought for a fraction of its original cost.
My Grady Overnighter is an ‘87 and I’m the third owner. I bought it for $6,800 boat, motor and trailer. That was 7 years ago and before I could use it I had to replace the fuel tank, fuel lines, recore the deck hatch, and paint the deck ($1,000).
The first season was great but ended with with an engine failure. I spent a full season wondering what to do but that following fall I found a good used OB same make model and year 100 digits apart on the serial # so I grabbed that ($2250). I painted it, cleaned up the transom which included minor repair and mounted the new engine. Took a Successful test On the Delaware in December and tucked it away in a friends pole barn to work on the electricals and installed a new dash and instrumentation over that winter.
It was cold in that barn.:(
I’ve since picked away at it restoring little stuff in between trips. Last fall I slid a new trailer under and didn’t go cheap on that, $4,800. All the bells and whistles. ;)
This past weekend I picked up a new Simrad side scan ff/gps unit, $1,000.
So... I’ve got what, a little under $16,000 into it while it’s looking and working newer as I go.
Didn’t come from money and worked damned hard for what I’ve got.Tightened my belt for a lot of years and made investments for my retirement that thankfully panned out better than I could have hoped.
Could I buy a new Grady when I bought it, nope. Could I now? Yes but there’s a lot of me in that boat now and I wouldn’t part with it for the world. :)

Last edited:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

I'm the oddball on here, I don't fish, so I know nothing about species, names, etc. I look at the posts on the Fishing Section here and they might as well be talking in a foreign language as far as I'm concerned. We sleep aboard, cook in the galley, anchor at the beach, etc. That's the way we enjoy our Marlin.

Your son looks like a rocker; I could picture him with a Fender Strat in his hands as easily as a Ling Cod.

You guys are always wearing coats & hats & hoods; Does it ever warm up out there?
Atlantic ling and pacific ling cod are just a bit different ;).
Kinda like flounder, fluke and halibut. Which btw I really wish we had fish like those pacific halibut and ling cod in NJ. :)
That is a really nice fish!

HTHM

Reaction score
I have to echo what people are saying on this thread, I have had few interactions via PM on this board and they have all been positive. LD and I share a heritage, and as a result I knew exactly what he meant by " And fair warning, I can be a bit of a pain in the ass. ", and hey, that's endearing.
If there wasn't a continent and a closed border separating him and I, the invite to go out on his Grady would have been happily taken up.
One day I will own a Grady, and it will be the product of miserly spending and a ton of sweat equity.
P.S. Beauty ling

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Guess I'm in the non-rich group here. Bought a used 2004 228. I've been a member of this site since '06 but only a Grady owner since '17. I'm 3rd owner of my '04 228 and I've pretty much gone through the entire boat replacing darn near everything. Bought my boat in Tampa and brought it back home to Ky. Fuel tanks were replaced, fuel lines, fuel/water separator head, full enclosure, storage net, pumps, helm, rod holders, electronics, striping and cabin flags, switches, companion way hatch, horn, wiper motor, full buff and wax, probably forgetting some stuff, and that's just the boat. The F225 was gone through and exhaust was done, oil pump, speedy sleeve, timing belt, anodes, oil and filter, fuel filters, thermostats, plugs, full water pump replacement including the housing, injectors sent out and cleaned, LP fuel pump, TnT motor. Yearly service is also thrown in here also. All of the above work happened throughout the last 3 years to get her to where I wanted her and bring her back to her former glory. I'm proud to own a Grady-White, have wanted one for years, things just never worked out. When I was hunting a boat, I wanted all options and a F250. I got part of that wish, my 2004 had all the options that I wanted, granted some of those options were worn out and in need of replacement, but a F225 for the motor. The F225 has done ok for me, she struggles a little to get on plane with a full load of fuel and 4 people, but I make do. The plan has been to repower down the road when I could. Well, that's in the works right now as we speak. I have a new 4.2 F250 FBW on order with my Yamaha dealer in SC. Excitement doesn't explain what I'm feeling right now waiting on the motor. With the F250 mounted on my re-done 228, I feel I have the perfect package for me and my style of fishing and sandbar hoping. Being in Kentucky, trailering is all I know and my 228 allows me to go where I want and explore in relative comfort.

Want to talk ridicule, try being on THT and ask questions about your Bayliner Trophy! Yes, I was that guy. I had either a Fish N Ski, aluminum, or pontoon before getting my first "real" big water, offshore boat, the Trophy. I've been fishing for the big catfish on Santee for 30+ years, so the Trophy was ideal for that. Could handle the rough water as the lake can get bumpy at times. It served me well for many years and I didn't have really any complaints with it. Then moved to a Seaswirl Striper 2301, which was a step or two up from the Trophy. The guys over on the Seaswirl website, Seastriper, are passionate about their Striper's and very welcoming to new people.

I've met a few guys on here in person, most I know by screen name or a phone call trying to help them through something. Parthery was one of the first people I talked with on here many years ago, way before I had a Grady. He was always willing to talk with me even though I wasn't a Grady owner. I've met Strikezone in Charleston years ago and he was kind enough to take me out on his 228 and we cruised the intracoastal, just to see what the 228 was about. Doc Stressor, SmokyMtnGrady, Halfhitch, I've met in person as well. Smoky and I are trying to hook up in the Keys in May. Doc is supposed to catfish with me sometime when we can get our schedules together. Would have met magicalbill this past summer if it hadn't been for the Rona, we kept or distance. Him and Halfhitch are my guys that help me with things to do when I trailer down to Florida each year, both are a wealth of knowledge for the area I enjoy.

From my experience with overhauling my 228 and 8 years in the marine industry, I try and help where I can. Always willing to talk on the phone and help, sometimes easier and quicker than PM'ing. I guess I drink the Koolaid too. Love the Grady's!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Guess I'm in the non-rich group here. Bought a used 2004 228. I've been a member of this site since '06 but only a Grady owner since '17. I'm 3rd owner of my '04 228 and I've pretty much gone through the entire boat replacing darn near everything. Bought my boat in Tampa and brought it back home to Ky. Fuel tanks were replaced, fuel lines, fuel/water separator head, full enclosure, storage net, pumps, helm, rod holders, electronics, striping and cabin flags, switches, companion way hatch, horn, wiper motor, full buff and wax, probably forgetting some stuff, and that's just the boat. The F225 was gone through and exhaust was done, oil pump, speedy sleeve, timing belt, anodes, oil and filter, fuel filters, thermostats, plugs, full water pump replacement including the housing, injectors sent out and cleaned, LP fuel pump, TnT motor. Yearly service is also thrown in here also. All of the above work happened throughout the last 3 years to get her to where I wanted her and bring her back to her former glory. I'm proud to own a Grady-White, have wanted one for years, things just never worked out. When I was hunting a boat, I wanted all options and a F250. I got part of that wish, my 2004 had all the options that I wanted, granted some of those options were worn out and in need of replacement, but a F225 for the motor. The F225 has done ok for me, she struggles a little to get on plane with a full load of fuel and 4 people, but I make do. The plan has been to repower down the road when I could. Well, that's in the works right now as we speak. I have a new 4.2 F250 FBW on order with my Yamaha dealer in SC. Excitement doesn't explain what I'm feeling right now waiting on the motor. With the F250 mounted on my re-done 228, I feel I have the perfect package for me and my style of fishing and sandbar hoping. Being in Kentucky, trailering is all I know and my 228 allows me to go where I want and explore in relative comfort.

Want to talk ridicule, try being on THT and ask questions about your Bayliner Trophy! Yes, I was that guy. I had either a Fish N Ski, aluminum, or pontoon before getting my first "real" big water, offshore boat, the Trophy. I've been fishing for the big catfish on Santee for 30+ years, so the Trophy was ideal for that. Could handle the rough water as the lake can get bumpy at times. It served me well for many years and I didn't have really any complaints with it. Then moved to a Seaswirl Striper 2301, which was a step or two up from the Trophy. The guys over on the Seaswirl website, Seastriper, are passionate about their Striper's and very welcoming to new people.

I've met a few guys on here in person, most I know by screen name or a phone call trying to help them through something. Parthery was one of the first people I talked with on here many years ago, way before I had a Grady. He was always willing to talk with me even though I wasn't a Grady owner. I've met Strikezone in Charleston years ago and he was kind enough to take me out on his 228 and we cruised the intracoastal, just to see what the 228 was about. Doc Stressor, SmokyMtnGrady, Halfhitch, I've met in person as well. Smoky and I are trying to hook up in the Keys in May. Doc is supposed to catfish with me sometime when we can get our schedules together. Would have met magicalbill this past summer if it hadn't been for the Rona, we kept or distance. Him and Halfhitch are my guys that help me with things to do when I trailer down to Florida each year, both are a wealth of knowledge for the area I enjoy.

From my experience with overhauling my 228 and 8 years in the marine industry, I try and help where I can. Always willing to talk on the phone and help, sometimes easier and quicker than PM'ing. I guess I drink the Koolaid too. Love the Grady's!
Your right about THT, there are a lot of members so while there are a lot of decent folks there’s a handful of trolls that get their jollies posting stupid comments and usually at someone’s expense. They do show up here once in a great while but they don’t last because they don’t have an audience that appreciates their brand of humor.
Catfish ! I’ve been known to launch in the Delaware to hunt channel cats and hopefully a flathead one day. I’ve learned to swap to my spare prop as those waters are filled with debris at times. Cats are a lot of fun to catch. :)

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Lucky...sorry but I didn't agree with your post on Coastside and completely disagree with your coming here looking for validation. This site is a lot less harsh then the other forums I belong to but I would hope you would give this audience the entire story as to why someone called you out. I do like this site a lot and come here often for boating and fishing topics...call your therapist if he hurt your feelings.

The story as I read it:

You being a crab greenhorn goes out and drops a pot 100ft from someone elses with 300ft of rope out. After dropping you notice the pot is 100ft from you but instead of pulling your pot and moving it you took the lazy route and just left your pot there overnight. Your excuse for not pulling the pot and moving it was you wimped out and didn't have your puller (your words not mine), piss poor excuse because I hand pulled for many years. Sorry, being new is not an excuse for negligence that could harm others property or cost other's money.

Now...being new to crabbing but not stupid (since your an intelligent person and told us you were #4 at Facebook or Google, who cares) you should have thought to yourself..."I have 300ft of rope out and I'm only 100ft from that other buoy, if the tide changes or the wind picks up as it always does in the afternoon in Monterey Bay, those lines may cross or get tangled, maybe I should really move it".

As Greygoose said on Coastside...you need to get your big boy pants on...your an adult and pretty sure you can take some criticism. Being new at something you shouldn't push back on that criticism, just saying.

Your comment that you need to be rich to get a Grady is so far off that it shows how green you are to boat ownership...bought my Grady for $25k and I'm not rich. You're new to boating, but man use more of your ears less of your mouth if you are truly trying to learn.

I even took the time to post and give you a pretty good write up for crabbing in Santa Cruz...not even a thank you...really goes to show how much you ask questions and could care less about the responses.

I'll post it again down below....re-read the last line:

luckydude said:
What do people like for crab pots? I'm a total n00b, never put out pots before. I'd love it if someone said here is how you do that, here is what you need to buy, here is how you put way marks so you can find them, etc. I know *nothing*. Educate me and I'll take you out.
"Crabbing out of SC isn't tough but you need to be setup correctly. I suggest square Danielson pots if this is your first time and plan to do day soaks instead of overnight soaks. Attach at least 15lbs of anything to the pot to hold bottom. I use old brake calipers, axels, dive weights...anything that you can zip tie to the bottom of the pot. Make sure the crab pot doors open freely and don't get caught up on anything you attach to the pot. Get at least 300+ feet of leaded line, please don't use poly ski rope as that will float and get caught in someone's prop. Go to Ranch 99 or any Asian market and purchase cheap fish parts, chicken or old fish going bad in your freezer and stuff the pot with them. You can use a hanging bait jar or bait bags. Put a 4 point harness on your pot, attach the line then two buoy's with your CF numbers. Use your sounder to find sandy bottom and let em drop, mark your GPS on where you dropped. Earlier in the season check pots after 2-4 hours, later in the season check after 4+ hours. Pulling up that much rope will get old so pick up a Ace Line Hauler ($499) that will mount into your Scotty DR mounts which helps tremendously with pulling pots. You can most likely outfit your boat for budget crabbing (5+ pots) spending less then $1k. Good luck, be safe and enjoy those crabbies!

One last thing...don't drop your pots on someone else's. Give a few football fields away before you drop and notice which way the current is going so you don't wrap your lines. It's a big ocean so no need to drop right on top of someone. "

Reactions: Pighunter

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

It's usually around 55-65 on the water, that must have been a cooler day.

I'll tell Dylan he's a rock star now, he'll like that :)

Reactions: magicalbill