Sea deck

Gowiththeflo

Reaction score
anyone done sea deck and was not happy or is good as avertized ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I just bought 4 rolls of "faux teak foam decking" on amazon for $250. I'm going to do the cockpit myself. Nothing fancy just a couple rectangles.

I'll fish it for a year and see if I like it and if it holds up. Then I'll know if I want to have a CNC cut professional job done.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's actually a number of posts on this forum (and literally, TONS, on the web) about this and you can search and get lot's of info to read. Don't get caught up in whether or not the info you find is on a Grady, or not. The boat doesn't matter. It all depends on how YOU boat and what you want it for.

-- Glue down or snap-down (can be done both ways)
-- Very durable in regards to regular foot traffic and good lifespan
-- Doesn't like fish hooks... they stick easily into it
-- Easy to clean, but if you fish a lot, you're better off without it as regular non-skid is the easiest to clean

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
IMO

1) It looks tacky (admit it already).
2) I doubt it will hold up as well as advertised (likely just until the warranty period is over).
3) what could be "easier" than plain white gel coat?
4) why spend the $$$ (better things to spend money on)?
5) do you really believe it is lower maintenance?

again, just my opinion...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My non-skid is smooth from 22 years of cooler slide.
WAY easier to stick this down and try it than paint or gelcoat.
I like the LOOK.
I am guesing it will be a pain to clean off clam, squid, puked up sand eels and tuna blood... but I'll try it.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
IMO

1) It looks tacky (admit it already).
2) I doubt it will hold up as well as advertised (likely just until the warranty period is over).
3) what could be "easier" than plain white gel coat?
4) why spend the $$$ (better things to spend money on)?
5) do you really believe it is lower maintenance?

again, just my opinion...
1) Not admitting anything. I think it looks great!
2) I have experience with it. Does your "doubt" come from experience or just an opiniated guess?
3) Agree
4) Opinion-based - nothing wrong with that
5) Who are you referring to? I'm the only one that mentioned that before your post. Did you fully read what I said?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
1) Not admitting anything. I think it looks great!
2) I have experience with it. Does your "doubt" come from experience or just an opiniated guess?
3) Agree
4) Opinion-based - nothing wrong with that
5) Who are you referring to? I'm the only one that mentioned that before your post. Did you fully read what I said?

1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just think when a boat is covered in the stuff, it looks too busy and tacky. I like plain and simple. I just don't get why people want to cover their boat in the stuff. Just my opinion.

--- however, I guess if one is trying tp make a deck less slippery, then it is a viable solution

2) My doubt comes from having a little of it on my last boat, which I ended up removing.
3) Glad we agree
4) yup
5) I meant this just a general statement, because I think it is part of the marketing of such products.

FYI... my comments were simply my opinion, which I wasn't trying to force on anyone. Ditto for not trying offend anyone.

Gowiththeflo

Reaction score
Thanks for great feed back Capts My original idea was just the transom because the ladder area a little worn & slippery . But some friends say do the whole boat . Not sure. Thanks everyone enjoy the season ⚓️

Reactions: Ky Grady and JJF

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thanks for great feed back Capts My original idea was just the transom because the ladder area a little worn & slippery . But some friends say do the whole boat . Not sure. Thanks everyone enjoy the season ⚓️

I think just a transom would be good...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, JJF. I work in the industry and one of my boat lines has been using SeaDek for about 6 or 7 years and I see these boats every Spring and Fall. It's been holding up very well. However, as I noted above, it depends on how the boat is going to be used. If it's being used for lot's of fishing, I would recommend against it. But for mostly pleasure use - it'll last for years and years. OR... also as I mentioned, make it a snap-in/snap-out setup.

Adding it to the transom to counter slipperiness - it will be PERFECT for that. You will have 100% better footing. Order their templating kit, make your template, send it back to them. Then order the DryFit to make sure it is correct before you sign off on it.

Reactions: JJF

ocdansar

Reaction score
I’ve had it on the steps going down into the cabin on my 330. So far so good . My main reason was our Yorkie had a hard time getting traction going up them

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

When I get time to bring my boat home, I have SeaDek going on the swim platform, rear box covers and the cabin step and floor. Wasn't interested in doing the whole cockpit area.

20211207_140828.jpg20220413_184151.jpg20211207_141012_copy_1160x1783.jpg

jigstrike

Reaction score
I did the swim platform, and the steps down to the cabin a few years ago. It seems to hold up well. There is a bit of fading, but not bad.
I am planning on doing the cockpit, and deck soon. I am pretty happy with it.
I fish alot, and am aware that blood should be washed off quickly, but I do that anyway.

jpbyrne1

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the whole deck done and it is very comfortable, non slip, and easy on the legs. It appears to stain but if you foam it up with 30 second cleaner and brush it, let it sit a minute, then mildly power wash it off, it comes up like new. be careful with a pressure washer though because it will damage the surface if you are too agressive. I haven't tried a protector spray on it yet. I will this season.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks great. My concern is getting it up when time is up and what it leaves behind. I've heard horror stories about glue residue.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Fuel Medic

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found this on the internet and I am thinking of doing it to my boat.

Attachments

• foam-boat-decking-sydney-4-1200x900.jpg
    foam-boat-decking-sydney-4-1200x900.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 58

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've never given it more than maybe 5-10 minutes worth of thinking about it before I move on to wanting to do something else, or really just about anything else instead of it. I think just about any decent product will look great when it's brand new, obviously, but what happens after a few months to a year or two? I've admittedly never had SeaDek or any other sort of foam mat product on any of my boats but a few pros and cons are listed below...

Pros: looks nice when new, supposedly it's an anti-slip mat, comfortable on feet/joints, supposedly doesn't get too hot, could increase the value of the boat, probably cheaper to install the first application than having the non-skid redone on your floor, the products that have the snaps on them as well as the medium strength adhesive seem much more practical.

Cons: after a few years I'm assuming the color is going to fade and or the mats will sag/distort, might become slippery when blood or fish guts and so on get on it, you have to clean it constantly from what I've heard so that it doesn't stain, a nice set of flip flops or sandals to wear would be just as nice on your feet and cost way less, if your boat sits outside year round then how long will it last?, it could hurt the value of the boat if you listed it and someone didn't want it on the boat, it's not cheap to do and especially having to do it potentially every 3-7 years or so depending on the product as well as custom designs and panels that are custom fitted only increase the price from there, and the biggest issue that I can think of would be having to tear up the old product to put a new product down. Which I've heard with SeaDek is really a complete PITA to have to do.

If, and this is a big if, I were to go with an EVA foam mat, then I'd probably go with a product like Marine Mat where they have the snaps on the corners and a medium adhesive to where it can be removed fairly quickly and easily as opposed to spending hours and hours and hours to peel everything up and go over it with a product to get all of the adhesive off of it. Depending on the product you buy, I've seen quite a few of them from $2k on up to over $7k, and for something that might get me 5-7 years and could possibly be a PITA to take off when I replace it? I'll spend that money elsewhere. If it was something that would last 10-15 years, was easy to take off or replace if you wanted to and so forth, then I might consider it a bit more. Even if it was slightly more money, as long as the longevity was there then I'd give it more consideration, or if my boat had an issue with the current non-skid on it. At this point, the floor on my boat looks great and even spending around $500 or so wouldn't likely make me want to buy anything like it.