Seafarer 226 versus 228

jigfish

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a Seafarer. Can someone help me with the advantages and disadvantages of each the 226 and the 228?

Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Jigfisg

catch22

Reaction score
I've owned 4 Gradys, all were full transom, (bracket). I prefer them over an open transom. More uncluttered room for fishing and, imo.... safer.

Reactions: Heyspike

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
226 V 228

I absolutely love the full transom of the 228. Following sea, backing down etc. I'm not worrying about taking on water. Engine on the bracket distributes weight better. Did I mention the livewell? I'll never get a transom hung engine again.

Brad1

Reaction score
I have a 226 that I use on Lake Erie. I've been in some rough conditions and never had a problem. I purchased my boat as a leftover so I didn't have a choice between 226 and 228. One thing I don't like about the 226 is having to remember to lower the splash board on the motor well before raising the motor. It's not a big deal, though. But if you were to forget to lower the splash board before you raised the motor, you'd probably incur some damage. One thing I prefer about the 226 is that the motor doesn't sit as far back so getting a fishing line out around the motor is easier with the 226. The pros and cons of one over the other aren't significant. They're both great boats. If I were ordering brand new and had the choice, I'd probably go with the 228 for the full transom and livewell.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Ditto what the previous replies have indicated. The 228 cockpit is very fishy - the livewell placement centered at the stern is extremely convenient. The cockpit is very roomy and functional. IMO it just is a "bigger boat" then the 226. I'd buy it all over again!

striped bass

Reaction score
David Pascoe states that the open transom boats are a danger. Many have actually sunk when swamped. The transom doors are easily knocked down if a real sea washes in. Go with the 228. Google David Pascoe and read his engineering reviews.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take Pascoe's ratings with a grain of salt....if you believed every word he said then GW would be out of business....

That said, the 226 and 228 are different animals. I've owned both; the 228 gives you the additional security of the full transom and the bracket. The 226 is about 2 ft shorter, which is a factor is your slip or dry storage charges by the foot.

Both are great boats....

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I can't speak to the Seafarer, but having put over 30 hrs now on my Tournament 225 I like the Gill bracket alot. It took a little getting used to when backing and maneuvering but it's a small learning curve. Having a full transom eliminates the possibility of getting water in the bilge via the motor well. I also really like having the livewell and the fishbox built into the transom. I just wish G-W would make the batteries more accessible. I don't know why manufacturers have to put batteries in such hard to access places.
I don't know if having the motor so far back on the bracket causes this or not, but I have to have the boat up pretty far forward on the bunk trailer to get the tongue weight correct. If it were any further forward the bunks would interfere with the trim tabs.
If the extra length isn't an issue for you, I would go with the Gill bracket.

Brad1

Reaction score
capt chris said:
I just wish G-W would make the batteries more accessible. I don't know why manufacturers have to put batteries in such hard to access places..

Capt Chris, where are your batteries located that you find access to be difficult? Mine are located on the port side, in the compartment under the rear seat. IMO, they are extremely easy to access. Perhaps the best battery access I have ever seen.

capt chris said:
I don't know if having the motor so far back on the bracket causes this or not, but I have to have the boat up pretty far forward on the bunk trailer to get the tongue weight correct. If it were any further forward the bunks would interfere with the trim tabs...

Moving almost 600 pounds of motor further rearward most definately affects trailer setup. If your tabs are raised all the way, and the bunks aren't in a position where they'd contact the center or outer most edge of the tab, I believe you could have the bunks extend past the transom without damaging the tab. I have had that setup before. BTW, to adjust tongue weight, it is often a case of moving the trailer axles.

jfmagana

Reaction score
While they are both nice boats, I went with the 228 and love it. I've only once lost a fish because of the line nicking the prop...mostly I don't find it to be a big deal that the engine sticks out so far on the bracket. An added bonus of having a full transom is that you can add a few more rod holders on the transom. Probably the biggest downside to the 228 is that it does take some time to get used to the way the boat handles in reverse....when I first got my 228, I was the laughing stock of the harbor. Best tip I received is to tilt the engine up quite a bit when in reverse....makes a huge difference in the handling. I can now pilot my way thorough the tightest quarters like a pro, but it took a lot of practice. Anyway, back to your question, personally, I'd go with the 228g.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brad1 said:
capt chris said:
I just wish G-W would make the batteries more accessible. I don't know why manufacturers have to put batteries in such hard to access places..

Capt Chris, where are your batteries located that you find access to be difficult? Mine are located on the port side, in the compartment under the rear seat. IMO, they are extremely easy to access. Perhaps the best battery access I have ever seen.

capt chris said:
I don't know if having the motor so far back on the bracket causes this or not, but I have to have the boat up pretty far forward on the bunk trailer to get the tongue weight correct. If it were any further forward the bunks would interfere with the trim tabs...

Moving almost 600 pounds of motor further rearward most definately affects trailer setup. If your tabs are raised all the way, and the bunks aren't in a position where they'd contact the center or outer most edge of the tab, I believe you could have the bunks extend past the transom without damaging the tab. I have had that setup before. BTW, to adjust tongue weight, it is often a case of moving the trailer axles.
My batteries are in the compartment directly behind the fold down transom seat. The door is only about 12-15 inches high and they sit down in the compartment in their own trays. You have to tilt the batteries on their sides to get them into the compartment and then turn them 90 degrees to fit into the trays. Not a real great design for flooded batteries. When they go I'll probably replace them w/ AGM for that reason alone. The rear seat has to be brought all the way up and rested on the transom to gain access to the compartment. Not one of my favorite engineering features of the boat!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jfmagana said:
While they are both nice boats, I went with the 228 and love it. I've only once lost a fish because of the line nicking the prop...mostly I don't find it to be a big deal that the engine sticks out so far on the bracket. An added bonus of having a full transom is that you can add a few more rod holders on the transom. Probably the biggest downside to the 228 is that it does take some time to get used to the way the boat handles in reverse....when I first got my 228, I was the laughing stock of the harbor. Best tip I received is to tilt the engine up quite a bit when in reverse....makes a huge difference in the handling. I can now pilot my way thorough the tightest quarters like a pro, but it took a lot of practice. Anyway, back to your question, personally, I'd go with the 228g.
I'll have to try tilting the motor up when in reverse. Thanks for the tip!

Brad1

Reaction score
capt chris said:
Brad1 said:
capt chris said:

capt chris said:

My batteries are in the compartment directly behind the fold down transom seat. The door is only about 12-15 inches high and they sit down in the compartment in their own trays. You have to tilt the batteries on their sides to get them into the compartment and then turn them 90 degrees to fit into the trays. Not a real great design for flooded batteries. When they go I'll probably replace them w/ AGM for that reason alone. The rear seat has to be brought all the way up and rested on the transom to gain access to the compartment. Not one of my favorite engineering features of the boat!

I went out to the Grady White website and looked at pics of the 225. I see the door your referring to. I'm familiar with the design. A previous boat I owned (non-Grady) had the same design and it was indeed a pain. But the 228 and 226 are completely different in this regard from the 225. In fact, the entire stern configuration (and layout for that matter) is different between the tournament 225 and the Seafarer (226, 228). Take a look at the pics of the 226 / 228 on the website and you'll see what I mean. Battery access couldn't be easier with the 228 / 226.

TerryP

Reaction score
I recently went through this same process and chose the 226. Each style has advantages and disadvantages. People tell me the handling characteristics are different, especially when backing. Many feel that a closed transom boat is safer, but not everyone. Research this topic on www.thehulltruth.com and you will find some interesting discussions with good arguments both ways. A couple of points with regard to safety: First, the 226 does not have a wide open transom like some other boats. The motor notch is not all that wide. The motor sits in a splash well that has scuppers and there are additional scuppers in the cockpit. There is a substantial splash gate which you could easily modify if you're really worried about a wave knocking it down. By the way, I've accidentally raised the motor with the gate up and it simply opens the gate without damage. Does anyone really believe a company like Grady White would continue to offer the 226 if there was any question of safety when they have another, virtually identical model in the 228?

Brad1

Reaction score
TerryP said:
couple of points with regard to safety: First, the 226 does not have a wide open transom like some other boats. The motor notch is not all that wide.

TerryP is right. The width of the "notch" is considerably narrow on the 226. They designed it so it is just wide enough, and no wider.

TerryP said:
There is a substantial splash gate which you could easily modify if you're really worried about a wave knocking it down.

I also agree with TerryP in this point. The only weak link in the setup is the plastic clips which hold the board up. But with a very simple mod (like adding a latch or clasp) to the splash board, and I wouldn't foresee it getting knocked down by a wave.

TerryP said:
By the way, I've accidentally raised the motor with the gate up and it simply opens the gate without damage.

Glad to hear that. I always cringe at the thought of forgetting to lower the board before I raise the motor.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
As a 228 owner, I would agree that the 226 has one blatant safety advantage. I would assume in a major swamping (wave over the bow) water will go out the motor well and scuppers considerably faster than the scups alone on the 228. W/ all that water weight, you're potentially 'sunk'.

jigfish

Reaction score
I would like to say "Thanks so much" for everyone's input on the 226 versus the 228. I will be taking a test ride on Saturday in a 226 and will be my first time in a Grady White. The cockpit layout of the 226 and the 228 looks to be perfect for walleye fishing on Lake Erie which is my intended purpose. I was first attracted to the 226 based on the stern layout and how easy it appears to be able to access the stern of the boat not only for trolling but jigging, as well. On first impression, I did not like how far the engine protruded out the back with the 228. I suppose it is like anything else, once you have it and get used to it, it really isn't an issue. So, thanks for you help and I'll try to check back and let you know how it goes.

All the best,
Jigfish

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jigfish said:
I would like to say "Thanks so much" for everyone's input on the 226 versus the 228. I will be taking a test ride on Saturday in a 226 and will be my first time in a Grady White. The cockpit layout of the 226 and the 228 looks to be perfect for walleye fishing on Lake Erie which is my intended purpose. I was first attracted to the 226 based on the stern layout and how easy it appears to be able to access the stern of the boat not only for trolling but jigging, as well. On first impression, I did not like how far the engine protruded out the back with the 228. I suppose it is like anything else, once you have it and get used to it, it really isn't an issue. So, thanks for you help and I'll try to check back and let you know how it goes.

All the best,
Jigfish
If you're going to be taking your test ride @ Beaver Park in Lorain, OH give my best to Pat Grasso, Bill Jeancola, and the owner Bill Schaeffer. I bought my 225 from them and they are great guys! I recommend them whole heartedly!

dan313

Reaction score
I own a 228 and have been on a 226. To me the ride is the same. I like the closed transom of the 228 compared to the 226.
I also like the live well of the 228. The 228 is longer because of the bracket, but the cockpit is the same.

Good Luck,

Lenny