Seafarer Hardtop Thickness?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone drilled holes, or run cables through the hardtop, specifically the bump above the electronics box, 2000. I want to suspend my vhf, and a couple of small things, so that I don't have to reach, or try to see over them. Is it cored?

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had to cut mine off recently I'll send you a pick and measurement tonight.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2000 hardtop....

I just removed a cd radio that had approximately 2in screws going through the bracket into about a 1/2in piece of starboard and then into the hardtop.

I can measure the screw length exactly, if needed.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ll measure it all this weekend. Pretty sure it went into the hump part of the hardtop....

What are you thinking of installing? I need to put a new VHF and I am debating on hanging from the top or using that starboard to elevate it a bit from the bottom so I can see it better.

seasick

Reaction score
If your top is relatively thick it is most likely cored. It could be cored with wood or it could be cored with foam or other composite. You have to be careful, especially if foam cored with the weight you hang under it if using screws. Even though a radio is relatively light, in pounding seas it can exert significant force. The most secure mounting method is bolts inserted from the top side and nuts through the top. In addition, if mounting heavy things, you may also need to install sleeves in the through holes to protect the top from being crushed/compressed.
I also prefer nylock nuts.
The washers look like this:
Washers, bolts and sleeves if used are bedded in place with sealant of maybe 4200

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Anyone drilled holes, or run cables through the hardtop, specifically the bump above the electronics box, 2000. I want to suspend my vhf, and a couple of small things, so that I don't have to reach, or try to see over them. Is it cored?

I have a 2020, so may be different. I hung a VHF under the top behind the captains seat. I love it but I have had to train myself to turn the console one down when I go to the cockpit (I leave console on scan and leave the other one on channel 11, our local chatter channel). Works pretty well.
vhf.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's cored with balsa and has thin skins on top/bottom. Will hold lightweight things well. Use SS washers top and bottom. For heavier things you can use tube spacers. Tube spacers are basically pieces of plastic pipe that you install in the top after drilling a larger dia hole than the screw to allow the pipe to slide in snug. Seal them well with 5200 so no water penetration top or bottom. These prevent the collapsing of the top when you tighten down. The top itself isn't that strong, so anything heavy should be over the frame pipe or better yet tied into it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Seal it well or it will get wet and turn to mush.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine is cored with foam on a 2001. I hung 5lb speakers above my head and it's thru bolted. The electrical power is already there in the electronics box. Yes the wires run through tubes and mine is full of about 12 wires. Pulling them isn't fun on a Grady, leave a weed wacker line there as a puller for future. String will rot eventually.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, FLW.
LD, did you screw in the VHF bracket, or thru bolt it?

Thru bolts. And I think my top is different, it's all metal, no sandwich. And "I" didn't do jack all, I just through a pile of money at Johnson Hicks and they did it. I know I could do it, but come on, I was crazy enough to buy a new 228 so I wanted all the extras done by pros. I looked over the work and I'm 100% sure they did a nicer job than I would.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thru bolts. And I think my top is different, it's all metal, no sandwich. And "I" didn't do jack all, I just through a pile of money at Johnson Hicks and they did it. I know I could do it, but come on, I was crazy enough to buy a new 228 so I wanted all the extras done by pros. I looked over the work and I'm 100% sure they did a nicer job than I would.

If you bought a new Grady, then I think they'll tell you whatever want to hear. "This fiberglass is all metal"!

Reactions: Pighunter

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I guess I should pull the old wires from the previous owner, see if it is solid around the penetrations, and reseal. Have a Vhf antenna cable, 2 little nav light wires, and a GPS antenna cable I don't use

G

gradydaniele

On my 88 the top is pretty solid .
I’ve had friends well over 275 lbs up there jump from the top down into the water while hanging around off the beach. The things solid. In mine I have a vhf, a stereo and several cigarette lighter power plugs. Defiantly use stainless steel bolts & washers and coat them in 4200 when setting them In Place to Keep it watertight up there.
ive seen guys also use galvanized bolts to mount lights and speakers up on the top.( not to sure if that’s a good thing tho) stainless is my go to on the boat.