Seafarer Transom

rrcallih

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello GreatGrady I am new to the board but have had a 1986 Seafarer since the early 90s. I have a closed transom with a bracket. Late last summer I notice some rot in the knee walls and have started looking at the transom and it have some rot also. The stringers appear ok. The transom generally seems in good shape and doesn’t have any stress cracks and doesn’t have any flexibility when I stand and bounce on the scag. So I am considering removing the rot and reinforcing the transom with a sheet of coosa from the inside of the boat and rebuild the knee walls and glassing with 1708/epoxy or should I just be doing a full transom rebuild. Also any pictures of anyone doing a transom rebuild in this style would be appreciated.

UCPA111

Reaction score
You can do some searches on transom replacements. I did mine from the inside, which required cutting off the gunnels. Not a huge deal. I cut the stringers that tied into the transom and then rebuilt with coosa and 1708 to re-attach.

My transom didn't have any flex either. I noticed some wetness and when I dug in, I said the heck with it we're going to replace and make full height. I used 1" coosa sheets laminated together with 1708 fabric, chopped strand to get some bite, and West system epoxy. It worked very well.

My videos can be found here that document a fair amount of what I did: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

PM me if you have questions. Not an expert, but having gone through it I am not afraid of it.