SeaStar Fluid

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

Just checked my SeaStar steering fluid, and it's a bit low. The cap says to use SeaStar fluid only, and I'm wondering how serious that is? I have some Mercury "Power Trim & Steering Fluid", but will gladly buy some SeaStar if anyone recommends it.

Thanks as always.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Ha! mine is a little low too. Previous owner had 2 different brands so I guess it don't matter.... Thinking of purging it and filling with new by doing the procedure.... I was looking for the "SeaStar Filler Kit" at West Marine...they want $27.99 for a bottle cap with a clear vinyl hose and a fitting.. :jaw ..I WILL NOT DO IT.

Amazon wants $18...uhg!

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
SkunkBoat said:
Ha! mine is a little low too. Previous owner had 2 different brands so I guess it don't matter.... Thinking of purging it and filling with new by doing the procedure.... I was looking for the "SeaStar Filler Kit" at West Marine...they want $27.99 for a bottle cap with a clear vinyl hose and a fitting.. :jaw ..I WILL NOT DO IT.

Amazon wants $18...uhg!

I plan on pushing new fluid through my steering system in the near future. I had read somewhere (THT?) that a common male air hose chuck fitting is the same size/thread as the SeaStar filler port. If that's the case, it would be easy to clamp on some cheap clear hose and a funnel on the other end to fill the system.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's very easy to rig up a bottle with a fitting and hose from your local hardware store that works. For fluid you can buy it a lot cheaper at your local general aviation airfield repair facility. That's where I bought this. It's the proper fluid specified by Seastar with the exception that it has a red dye in it to meet aviation requirements of identification. The gallon cost me $38.

nv4YG0Ch.jpg

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Be careful about using aviation hydraulic fluids. There are basically two types: Phosphate ester based fluid (Skydrol) and not to be used, (very caustic) and various brands of Mil H-5606, petroleum based, which is normally dyed red and can be used in SeaStar systems. Check the MILSPEC before buying aviation hydraulic fluid.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jonah said:
Hi all,

Just checked my SeaStar steering fluid, and it's a bit low. The cap says to use SeaStar fluid only, and I'm wondering how serious that is? I have some Mercury "Power Trim & Steering Fluid", but will gladly buy some SeaStar if anyone recommends it.

Thanks as always.

My recommendation again is buy the SeaStar fluid and not mix. I wouldn't take a chance with mixing and have a failure with your steering, it's kind of important underway. I bought 4 quarts and flushed my system when I was topping off mine. Never hurts on a boat with some age. Pick up the fill kit also, it makes life much simpler. You can piece a kit together too if you're handy.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with KY Grady that if you haven't serviced the system in several years, flushing the system a bit will help keep things working in good order. If you do bleed/flush the system and read the Seastar how-to literature, somewhere in there I remember it saying not to be too "tentative" about turning the wheel on a manual pump. The rotation speed of the wheel for bleeding air should be no slower than 1 1/2 to 2 seconds per revolution. That creates enough flow to move any air bubbles along the tubing and not allow them to accumulate in a high spot in the tubing. Good luck. It's a fun project and makes a difference if your steering is sloppy or spongy.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice, thanks everyone. I picked up some (overpriced!) SeaStar fluid from a local shop here, and topped it off. I don't have a trailer, so won't be in a good position to bleed the system for a while. I'll save the extra fluid, and your advice, for whenever I have a chance.

So far, the steering is fine; the fluid just looked a little bit too far below the threads in the helm's fill-hole.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I also topped of before launching. only took spit. The 265 still can't go slow in a straight line. Thinking of naming it "Wiggles" or "The Wanderer" :lol:
Guess I'll have to try the full procedure one of these days. Looks like it can be done while floating.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SkunkBoat said:
I also topped of before launching. only took spit. The 265 still can't go slow in a straight line. Thinking of naming it "Wiggles" or "The Wanderer" :lol:
Guess I'll have to try the full procedure one of these days. Looks like it can be done while floating.

A previous boat I owned was a "wanderer" at slow speeds also. Something that really helped was to deploy one trim tab fully down. That drag would cause the bow to pull to that side, then a steering correction to offset that pull and hold the bow in the desired direction helped immensely. This became my normal slow speed set-up but you need to remember to retract the tab before jumping on plane to avoid the surprise of a big sudden list when the boat comes on-step.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I just changed the fluid in my Seastar system and used Phillips 66 Avation Hydraulic fluid. It meets the specs approved by Seastar as a substitute. It is $5.95 per quart from an outfit called Aircraft Spruce. With shipping it came to $34/gallon. It took a little less than 2 quarts. Although my boat is on a trailer,I did everything from inside the boat. I had a lot of slack in the steering and changing the fluid made a tremendous improvement.

Attachments

• PH 2.jpg
    PH 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 276

G243

Reaction score
Greyduk said:
I just changed the fluid in my Seastar system and used Phillips 66 Avation Hydraulic fluid. It meets the specs approved by Seastar as a substitute. It is $5.95 per quart from an outfit called Aircraft Spruce. With shipping it came to $34/gallon. It took a little less than 2 quarts. Although my boat is on a trailer,I did everything from inside the boat. I had a lot of slack in the steering and changing the fluid made a tremendous improvement.

I recently replaced my leaking seals at the engine steering unit and then bled the system. I used the Phillips 66 fluid and it works great. I was fortunate enough to buy it from our local airport so it I saved shipping.

Nothing wrong with buying the SeaStar branded fluid if it makes you feel better, but you don't have to.