SeaTow discontinued automated radio checks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would assume that everyone knows that SeaTow discontinued automated radio checks. Apparently I was the last one to get the memo!

I purchased a new radio and antenna for my boat. I'm trying to test it to make sure its working alright. I setup the MMSI in the unit and used the Test Message function to the USCG All stations MMSI 003669999 to test the unit.

I got varied results. If I test it 5 times through the day I may get one ACK response and the rest are no response. This was the case over a 5 day period. I canceled after a minute - not sure if I would have gotten a delayed response.

I am located about 7 miles from Cape May, NJ slightly inland 20' above sea level on a trailer with antenna 13' above my driveway. I radio checked twice with SeaTow in Cape May loud and clear. Also DSC Loopback test has been 100%.

This morning I talked to Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay today about my unreliable DSC Test Call ACK's. Couple of interesting things came out of it.

When you initiate an automated DSC Test Call it gets delivered to a single persons desktop at CG Sector Delaware Bay. I counted 8 towers that all funneled back to Sector HQ. Test calls are manually responded to and are pushed down in priority. Depending of volume coming in its not uncommon that you get a delayed response or none at all.

All recreational MMSI (BoatUS, SeaTow, etc) are not legal for International use and ARE NOT entered into the FCC National database. If you decide to move up to International use you must register with the FCC and a new MMSI will be issued. This is a PITA because its not easy to deprogram your MMSI and radio may need to go back to the factory.

The other thing is when an emergency DSC alert comes into a CG station the FCC National database is checked and both of my MMSI come back as unregistered. The operator has access to other databases (BoatUS, SeaTow, etc) and has to look you up there.

Reactions: ROBERTH

Fishtales

Reaction score
You were not the last!!

I used it late last year at my marina prior to fishing. That's too bad. I liked the capability and the fact that I wasn't bothering anyone. Plus it was good to get kids trained. Thanks for sharing.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fishtales, you're not the last either! I was trying to get them the last couple of times out. Finally resorted to the standard 'any vessel for a radio check'.

Rob

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
are you talking a DSC check or the normal radio check (ch 27 & 28)? i used the latter heavily. ron

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
are you talking a DSC check or the normal radio check (ch 27 & 28)? i used the latter heavily. ron

The SeaTow automated radio check (my station was on 26) was discontinued. I thought I was last to know that but apparently there are others.
So I tried the Send Test DSC message from my new radio and got mixed results. Check my first post at the top for the details.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
FYI - I posted this thread to The Hull Truth. Got some interesting responses from members. One of them is Coast Guard who confirmed how the DSC messages are handled. Some of his comments...

Yes, that is correct. Each Sector Comms Center has one watch stander (possibly a trainee in there with them.) Each station within that AOR also has access to at least one of those towers. Those stations may or may not have a live watch stander based upon a number of factors.

Now, here's the good news. If you have your DSC VHF radio set up with a GPS signal (either built in or using NMEA connection with your GPS/chartplotter) the Coast Guard is going to respond to that location even if we cannot pull your MMSI registration info from any database. In any VHF DSC distress alert (even one without a GPS position) we are going to do our best to establish a position or area and respond to that area to search.

Please don't conduct radio checks on channel 16. In the Command Center I used to work in, there were 32 speakers that could be sounding off all at the same time. The watch stander could be working a SAR case in a different area from where you are, and your radio check could drown out vital information. That has in fact happened a number of times in the past. In most areas there is a frequency that "the locals" use to talk about fishing etc. That's often your best bet.