Sending Unit for Tournament 192

hardasset

Reaction score
I need to replace the fuel sending unit on my 2002 192 Tournament. I am going to go with a Wema sending unit. Has anyone replaced theirs on a 192 Tournament and if so, can you tell me the correct length or a part number? Many thanks.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Call GW customer service and they will tell you the depth of the tank. Subtract 1/2" and order your sender from WEMA to that length.

252-752-2111

hardasset

Reaction score
Thanks! Customer service was very helpful. For future reference, the 2002 192 Tournament takes a 9 inch Wema Sending Unit, Wema part number sss-9 151330-9

Reactions: tech_dog

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks! Customer service was very helpful. For future reference, the 2002 192 Tournament takes a 9 inch Wema Sending Unit, Wema part number sss-9 151330-9
Do me a favor please. When you pull the old unit, measure from the flange to the tank bottom. I usually subtract an inch for the sender length and am curious what Grady did.

Thanks

Willy-C

Reaction score
Just for reference, my 1992 190 Tournament has a factory gas tank of exactly 9.50” depth at the sender port. My local Grady dealer sold me a 8” a few years ago, but would’ve been happier with a 9”

seasick

Reaction score
My understanding is that the guideline is 1 inch shorter than the depth. I believe that is WEMA's recommendation. The senders come in whole inches so I see what they sold you an 8. It really doesn't matter very much. It just means that in theory, when your gauge reads empty, you have a bit more gas left than if you had a 9 inch sender.
In a really hypothetical model of an 80 gallon tank that is flat sided and flat bottomed and that when full makes the sender read full, each inch of gas depth represents about 8.4 gallons. So in your case the sender reads empty when there is still 1.5 inches of fuel left or about 12.6 gallons. If you had the 9 inch model, empty would mean about 4.2 gallons left. Of course this is not a realistic model if you tank is slopped on the bottom or sides but regardless, I would rather have 12 gallons of gas left when the gauge reads empty as opposed to 4 or so. As long as you have a feel for what the readings mean, the length is super critical One other advantage to the shorter sender is that there is less chance of it sucking up gunk or garbage that has settled on the bottom.

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I've had 8" and 9" senders in my 96 192, and I think the 9" gives better information. I did a fill test and the 9" sender was still reading empty when the tank had 10 gallons.

Using the math above, the 8" would bump the empty reading to about 20 gallons, or a third of a tank. That's in-line with what I saw with the 8", and that's why I switched back to 9".

seasick

Reaction score
The sender has to have some clearance from its pickup to the tank bottom. Therefore it will always read empty when there is some gas in the tank.
What gas gauge do you have. The command ling gauges don't exactly tell you when the tank is empty especially if you have a rod type sender and not a swing arm type.
Finally, the angle of the hull in the water make a big difference in what level the sender reads. As the stern tilts deeper or he bow tips up, the reading can differ from actual by quite a lot.
I look at the gauge reading as a suggestion:). It is better to learn what yours reads under different situation and also be aware of your typical burn rates

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I need to replace the fuel sending unit on my 2002 192 Tournament. I am going to go with a Wema sending unit. Has anyone replaced theirs on a 192 Tournament and if so, can you tell me the correct length or a part number? Many thanks.
I went with a KUS USA Fuel and water sensor 9 inch 4 years ago and no issues at all