Sending Units

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I have a 2004 282 Sailfish with the 150 gallon main tank and the 70 gallon auxiliary tank. I need sending units for both. I am not near the boat right now. What have you all replaced them with? Part numbers and sources would be appreciated. Need to order soon.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Google WEMA fuel sending unit. You need to know the length. Grady customer service can help but you you really need to pull it and confirm. Be careful to "clock" the sending unit correctly - holes are not symmetric. The connectors are 2-pin trailer connectors. Splice connector on before you install it.

seasick

Reaction score
Wema is now owned by KUS.
In any case, the only parameter you need to know is the sender length assuming you use Wema type senders. You can call Grady support and ask what length was used originally but that doesn't always get the right spec.
The most accurate method is to remove the current sender ( Tank must not be full or mostly full or gas may flow out) and measure the depth from the tank flange to the bottom of the tank. For a metal tank, subtract 1/2 inch and order the closest match (senders come in 1 inch increments.

Do not assume that both tanks use the same sender length. You need to measure to be sure. ( Or take Grady's word)

Last edited:

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Some good advice provided wish I’d known about the “clock” position alignment recommended by @Hookup1 … would have saved me much head scratching, on my recent Sender replacement.

I had kus-usa.com lookup the part # used for my GW Model … “SSS/SSL Sender - SAE 5 Hole Pattern Mount - 10", $59 w/free delivery.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Google WEMA fuel sending unit. You need to know the length. Grady customer service can help but you you really need to pull it and confirm. Be careful to "clock" the sending unit correctly - holes are not symmetric. The connectors are 2-pin trailer connectors. Splice connector on before you install it.
I can vouch for the "clock" thing, they only line up one way. Ask me how I know, well, I'll tell ya, on my first boat, a Triumph, I pulled it and put it back wrong, took my wife out for the *only* time she was willing to get on a boat with me, the bilge filled up with gas. Ouch.

Don't be me, line it up right. If it were me, I'd mark the unit and the tank with a sharpy, look at the new unit and mark that too.

Also, you can get water proof trailer connectors off of amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MKVTYTZ

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2004 282 Sailfish with the 150 gallon main tank and the 70 gallon auxiliary tank. I need sending units for both. I am not near the boat right now. What have you all replaced them with? Part numbers and sources would be appreciated. Need to order soon.
I have a 2003 282 with 150 gallon main and 70 gallon aux tanks. I replaced the sending unit on my main with this i got on amazon. Very simple fix. This one is a 17.5" unit. I bought both this and the 18" units because it was tough to determine exactly what size the OEM part was. So when i replaced it i just lined up the new and the old and returned the wrong size to amazon

seasick

Reaction score
KUS is acquired WEMA a couple of years ago.
I am not sure why it was difficult to measure the old one though

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
KUS is acquired WEMA a couple of years ago.
I am not sure why it was difficult to measure the old one though
It was difficult. Was I was unsure of is how they measured it. They come in 1/2" increments so i got the 17.5" and the 18". I only wanted to pull the sensor out once so i just got both sizes in case the measurements weren't exact.

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It was difficult. Was I was unsure of is how they measured it. They come in 1/2" increments so i got the 17.5" and the 18". I only wanted to pull the sensor out once so i just got both sizes in case the measurements weren't exact.
It wasn't difficult... typo