Shoreline plug

El Dorado

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I just purchased a Grady White 325 in November. My shore 120V plug has worked fine until a few days ago. When I plug it into the boat receptacle now it doesn’t work. My shore plug cord shows that it is hot. Any suggestions?

seasick

Reaction score
Need more info. What does "shows it is hot" mean? Are you using a shore power cord or an adapter?
Have you checked the main AC breaker in the boat? Does the main panel show anything?
Can you borrow another shore cable to see if yours is bad?
When you pluig it in, what end are you referring to. the dock or the boat?

El Dorado

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
The cord is new. When I plug it in the shore receptacle the light indicator on the cord glows red. Which I assume means it has power. I then plug it in the boat receptacle.
When I flip the switch on the 120 A/C panel for shore power nothing happens. Is there a breaker on the boat I’m not aware of that might have tripped?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You should have a main 30 amp breaker (probably 30) not too far from the cord inlet. You know your boat better than any of us and exactly where it is, but there should be information in your owner's manual about this, too.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It hot, sounds like a weak connection. The internal contact points may have opened up. How old is the cable? May need to swap it out. Check the ends of the cable carefully and see if there are signs of wear or black which indicates poor connection.

seasick

Reaction score
It hot, sounds like a weak connection. The internal contact points may have opened up. How old is the cable? May need to swap it out. Check the ends of the cable carefully and see if there are signs of wear or black which indicates poor connection.
Good point. If indeed the cable gets hot but nothing powers up in the boat, the receptacle on the chord may be shorting out. This can easily happen if that end gets accidently dunked in the water, especially salt water and really especially if the other end was plugged in and powered at the dock.
Of course, it is slao possible that the red light you see makes that connector a tad warm.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Good point. If indeed the cable gets hot but nothing powers up in the boat, the receptacle on the chord may be shorting out. This can easily happen if that end gets accidently dunked in the water, especially salt water and really especially if the other end was plugged in and powered at the dock.
Of course, it is slao possible that the red light you see makes that connector a tad warm.
I think by "hot" he means there is power on the cable not hot temperature