Short Term Bottom Protection

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I will be bringing my trailerable non painted Freedom 205 to a condo on the Northern Gulf with a boat slip. Previous times I have done this, not with this boat, the bottom had a significant number of beginning barnacle growth. We are only talking a week or less, wondering if any of you guys have had any success with this.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've left my unpainted boats in the water for a solid two weeks with no growth. But that is on the coast of Maine. The warmer the water, the quicker things grow. There can also be a siginficant difference in the geopgrpahic area due to local water conditions/current/etc.

I personally have not heard of any temporary product you can use - curious if there is? Maybe just a good coat of good wax, like Collonite 885?

There is, however, an excellent method that requires nothing but a smile. Use the boat a lot! The more you use it, the less it sits still.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We go to Florida for 2 weeks every year and trailer the boat down. Never an issue. Just give it a good bath after you pull it.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Out here in the Northwest two weeks can be enough to completely coat the bottom with barnacles depending upon the conditions. It seems like they bloom at certain times and it is not a linear or consistent phenomenon. They’re tiny, but they’re there and need to be scrubbed off. Ymmv.

Some people around here use a heavy coat of wax, But I would only trust that short term.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Like I said, done it before and you can get a lot new barnacle growth. I see there are a couple products out there but are crazy expensive like 80.00 for a 32 oz. spray bottle and not sure if it works. I need to clean the boat before I go anyway so I will apply a good coat of wax and pressure wash it after.

Reactions: ScottyCee