Should I add power steering assist to 2019 freedom 285?

George farley

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Should I add power steering assist to 2019 Freedom 285?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't have that on my 330. If your engines are properly set up, the hydraulic system is well bled and the vertical shafts are lubed, you might not want the expense. A helm knob such as the Edson knob helps a lot in making more rapid corrections while docking. There are times at higher speeds and certain sea conditions that it takes some force, but power assist is just another system that can be costly to install and can create it's own set of maintenance problems. I won't be putting it on my 330.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I added it to my 330 last winter and I have to say I really like it a lot. My buddy has a newer Canyon 336 (same hull) and I was always jealous of the power steering. Definitely makes docking easier (my wheel already had the Edson knob), and it also makes the boat less tiring to drive when I'm in some sloppy stuff and I don't want to steer manually.

I feel it was a pretty worthwhile upgrade, but most importantly it sorta save my season this past summer because I managed to break my left hand in May so I was still able to comfortably (sort of) drive & dock the boat without having to grip too tightly.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I added it to my 282. I won't have another boat without it. Much more relaxing to operate. Especially those 'wheel hard-over' turns while docking.

Admittedly, for me, I've got some nerve damage in my neck that affects my right arm. Its not quite a necessity for me, but even absent the medical part, I wouldn't do without it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is very nice. If you go Seastar the pump is $1500-1800. Shop around. I believe there are (4) hydraulic lines in/out of the pump plus power t o it.

Motivator

Reaction score
I recently added it to my boat this fall. Adds to an already wonderful boating experience.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check where the lines run. On my boat, the pump was installed behind the kick panel at the helm of the starboard side.