Side spreader lights

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Has anybody installed spreader light on the sides of their hardtops? My dock has no lighting at night , So I was thinking of installing them over the winter. I think they would help both see the finger on the side of the boat at night as well as help with night fishing. My question is for anyone who has installed them did you put them on top of the hardtop or on the underside? I have double spreader lights in the rear corners under the hardtop, which are completely out of the way. I'm worried that the ones on the side if mounted on the underside of the hardtop, may be in the way when holding on to the top walking to the bow. Any thoughts?

Lucky13

Reaction score
Will the rear spreader lights swivel to the side, without turning the bolt inside the hardtop?
I think you should be able to do this. If not I personally would want them under the top if you were going to mount a new set. walk the side of your boat and see where you would normally grab and place them offset from that if you think they would be in the way on the underside but i think it would be a much cleaner look

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen them are hardcore fishing boats. Great to have that side light for hunting for a shrimp or crab pot in the evening too. Also docking leaving, entering etc. Lights are cheap these days!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't have them on the side but...when I walk forward I hold the curved crossbar .
If you have a narrow profile light like the one in the corner I can't imagine it being a problem
Grady265sunset_00002.jpeg

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced my old spreader lights with the new lumitec Caprera2 color LED lights. They are very bright and the brightness is adjustable with your toggle switch. I also like the Blue Light feature it really gives my 26 foot Center Console a great look.

Last edited:

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like the Lumitec Caprera2 as well. A little pricey but I like the fact that they are dimmable and the blue light option. They are so bright that I generally dim them during normal use.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I replaced my old spreader lights with the new lumitec Caprera2 color LED lights. They are very bright and the brightness is adjustable with your toggle switch. I also like the Blue Light feature it really gives my 26 foot Center Console a great look.
How are they dimmable? I was interested in buying these but couldn’t figure out if I need to install a new switch for the dimming feature or not.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
How are they dimmable? I was interested in buying these but couldn’t figure out if I need to install a new switch for the dimming feature or not.
Lumitec calls it Timed Toggle Protocol (or something like that) and I believe they'll function with any style of on/off switch, when I first installed mine they were wired to the original push button spreader light switch that was part of the combo light at the helm and they also function with the Contura style rocker switch I have them on now. Tough to explain but there is circuitry in the light that works off how long the switch is on or off, or switched back and forth, to both dim the light and switch between colors. Can probably find a YouTube video or two showing them in operation.

Reactions: Blaugrana

Koz54

Reaction score
Will the rear spreader lights swivel to the side, without turning the bolt inside the hardtop?
It takes some modifications to work well. I wanted to be able to turn my spreader lights easily to wherever the light was needed. I tried only the nylon locking nuts but it was either too tight or too sloppy and would move on it's own underway. I came up with this, they stay wherever they are turned.

Weld the spreader light mounting bracket to the mounting bolt. I bought stainless steel carriage bolts for this at Ace.
Make two Teflon washers and a thicker aluminum washer. Install as shown then bolt onto mounting plate with a washer and nylon locking nut. Tighten snugly but not too tight.

The way I have it set now you can point the light anyplace needed smoothly and easily. Nice feature when the fish get a little feisty at night.

Grady spreader pivot 1.jpgGrady spreader pivot 2.jpgGrady spreader pivot 3.jpgGrady spreader pivot 4.jpgGrady spreader pivot 5.jpg

Last edited:

Koz54

Reaction score
there is circuitry in the light that works off how long the switch is on or off, or switched back and forth, to both dim the light and switch between colors.

I think you described it well. I have four Lumitec lights. Two mounted under the gunnels, and two and in the cockpit area. Love them!

Basic operating procedure:

Turn on the switch. The light will start off white and very dim, and then grow brighter. (takes 4-5 seconds) Once the brightness is what you want, you cycle the switch off/on. The brightness will stay at that level.

To change color, cycle the switch one more time off/on.

It will change color very dimly then get brighter. (4-5 seconds) Once the brightness is what you want, you cycle the switch off/on. The brightness will stay at that level.

It takes a little getting used to, and I still overshoot sometimes. However the lights work great and all four are always at the same brightness. I thought there might be some variance in brightness when dimmed. There is not.

grady Lumitec 1.jpggrady Lumitec 2.jpg
My b

Last edited:

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you described it well. I have four Lumitec lights. Two mounted under the gunnels, and two and in the cockpit area. Love them!

Basic operating procedure:

Turn on the switch. The light will start off white and very dim, and then grow brighter. (takes 4-5 seconds) Once the brightness is what you want, you cycle the switch off/on. The brightness will stay at that level.

To change color, cycle the switch one more time off/on.

It will change color very dimly then get brighter. (4-5 seconds) Once the brightness is what you want, you cycle the switch off/on. The brightness will stay at that level.

It takes a little getting used to, and I still overshoot sometimes. However the lights work great and all four are always at the same brightness. I thought there might be some variance in brightness when dimmed. There is not.

View attachment 20379View attachment 20380
My b

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the explanation! When researching I couldn’t find anything about it and was hesitant to pull the trigger if it required installing something new as mine work fine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Lumitec bar lights are very nice for under the gunnels. Not that long but they throw a ton of light. I like the adjustable spreader lights above for the OPs initial question. I wouldn't want them under or on top of the hardtop personally. If you do install, ensure you seat the area well and maybe consider a tube spacer so you have a solid inner core in the hole. You want to ensure no water penetration into the coring material of the hardtop.