Simrad Autopilot

Brian F

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Recently purchased a 2011 GW Express 330. All works great except for the Simrad AP24 autopilot. Cannot get the head on the console to power up and pretty certain it is a power problem. Embarrassingly, I am unable to locate the autopilot computer. Have removed the 3 panels, forward, starboard and port in the aft stateroom as well as the dash plate where the Yamaha instrument is located.
Where should I look next?

ltid8732

Reaction score
check your power distribution on the 12 volt side may have a spare for the AP or on the dash switches
most are wired on an on-off switch or breaker

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The AP24 dash unit gets its power from the Simnet drop cable. You need to find your Simnet backbone first and check the T-fitting. The dash unit should power up without the computer. Check the power connection to the backbone. Your computer is also connected to the backbone via another T-connector. You should be able to locate the computer by following its drop cable.

AP24 Manual

Last edited:

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wish it were standard practice to attach a laminated card somewhere that documents all the locations. I had a very hard time finding my autopilot control unit as well...

On mine it was under the livewell (maybe not the greatest location come to think of it) and accessible by removing the tackle box storage unit.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Wish it were standard practice to attach a laminated card somewhere that documents all the locations. I had a very hard time finding my autopilot control unit as well...

On mine it was under the livewell (maybe not the greatest location come to think of it) and accessible by removing the tackle box storage unit.

Is that the factory install location?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My AP computer is behind the AC/DC switch panel in the cabin. I believe most electronics installations are done by dealers and not Grady.

Time Bandit

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Probably a blown fuse. If you left the auto helm on and stopped the boat. Or the former owner. The helm will. Go hard over and blow the fuse. Take off your main switch panel look for all the circuits and hoses and NMEA cable it’s all in there. You’ll see your hydraulic steering pump . Look for the fuses , think mine was a 6 amp mini type.