Size anchor vs dock lines

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, so... you guys know what works and feels best for your boat sizes...

Would you use 1/2" braided, 3/8? 5/8? Double braided?

I was looking at replacing most the ropes and just keeping what is there as the backups. Also, chain size for the anchor? I figured the length would be, for the chain, the length of the boat, or I think the "rule" someone mentioned on THT is 3 times, but that seems a bit excessive. I think 27ft of chain is plenty, imo...but, welcoming input.

For dock lines, 20-25ft seems plenty for those.

Thanks!

Russ

mhinch

Reaction score
I've got 8' dock lines, just the store bought 5/8"
150' of 3/8" braided anchor line
~6' of anchor chain
Unless you have a windlass 27' of chain is quite a bit to fool with every time you anchor. Sounds to me like that's a bunch of gelcoat repairs waiting to happen.
I'm on a 222 Fisherman

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I do have a windlass, but that still seems like a lot of chain, agreed. That gives me a starting point, thank you very much!

Russ

seasick

Reaction score
I do have a windlass, but that still seems like a lot of chain, agreed. That gives me a starting point, thank you very much!

Russ
The length of chain needed depends to an extent on;
The depth you typically anchor
Your anchor style and size
The typical bottom you anchor in.
On my other boat (25 foot) I have no chain and it all works fine for the areas I anchor.
What is really important for a windlass is that you use the size chain called for by the windlass manufacturer. The type and size of the rode is also very important.
As to dock lines, I prefer to have lines that are 4 or 5 feet or so longer than the span from the boat cleat to the dock cleat. Too much line looks sloppy, can be a trip hazard and often ends up hanging over the dock edge in the water

That said, I do carry spare lines that are fairly long for situations like tieing off at another dock ( fuel dock maybe, restaurant etc., hauling and launching and for use when aiding and assisting other boaters in need

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just adding some info...

-- Look on your gypsy (the thing that the rope/chain wraps around on your windlass). That will tell you the proper size and type of chain to use. Chains come in different link lengths/widths so not all 1/4" chain is the same. For example, the windlass on my Sundancer (28') called for 1/4" HT (also referred to as "G4").

-- The length of chain is, as mentioned, largely dependent on a lot of factors, including personal preference. Me? I like a lot of chain when a windlass is doing the work... less chain when I am doing the work. Chain will only make your anchor work better. Some people go to all chain. On my 28-footer, I had 50' of chain on a 25lb Delta plow. I would do AT LEAST 20' of chain, though, when using a windlass.

-- 3/8" rope is 'OK" for your boat (both dock and anchor), but 1/2" is the way to go (and likely what is called for by your windlass). Anything larger is overkill and just becomes harder to handle. You also don't want overkill because then the line doesn't stretch like it should given the weight of the boat.

-- For dock line lengths that I keep on board for your size boat... my preference would be (2) 15', (2) 20' and (2) 25' or 30'. When you're out and about, you'll primarly be using your stern and midship cleats.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Windlass will dictate size of chain and rode. Almost certainly 1/4" chain and 1/2" rode. Make sure you get the correct chain for the windlass, not the crap from Lowe's or Grainger..

Our main rode was a 22# Delta Fastset with 30-ft of chain and 600-ft of 1/2" 8-plait rode.

Secondary anchor was a Danforth 12H, with ten ft of chain and 200-ft of 1/2" 3-strand. Anchor was in bracket on the bow pulpit and rode was under the port aft section of the V-berth.

I strongly recommend 8-plait, as it lays down easily, doesn't hockle, and you can get twice as much in the anchor locker.

As to overall length, the rule of thumb is a 7:1 scope, using the depth of water PLUS the height of bow. So, in ten feet of water, with a five foot bow height, you would use 105 ft of scope (combined chain and rode). Up that depth to 20ft and suddenly you need 175ft of scope, so you can see where this is going. Yes, you can anchor with less scope, but it's the angle of the anchor to the seabed that determines how well it digs in - and if it can reset when the wind or current changes the direction of pull.

Docklines that are 1/2" work well on that boat. The eye can pass through the open cleat base, then get dropped over the horns of the cleat. Breast lines can be 15-ft, with 25-ft for the springlines. When alongside a dock, you may find that you need to tie the aft breast line from the outboard cleat to get a good angle, as often the angle from the inboard cleat is straight down to the dock, so doesn't pull in well.

Learn to flemish your lines on the dock and no one will know you're a snipe. :)

Reactions: ECO

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hard to find 8-plait rope...mostly double braid etc.

So, looks like 1/4" chain (the marine grade stuff....agreed).. I figure 30ft, and 300-500ft of 1/2" 8-plait rope, when I locate it.. heh.

Will get what Dennis recommended for dock lines, that sounds about what I was thinking as well. Thanks guys!

R

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hard to find 8-plait rope...mostly double braid etc.
So, looks like 1/4" chain (the marine grade stuff....agreed).. I figure 30ft, and 300-500ft of 1/2" 8-plait rope, when I locate it.. heh.
Will get what Dennis recommended for dock lines, that sounds about what I was thinking as well. Thanks guys!
R

Order it here, with the splice done, and the swivel ready on the chain. Not cheap, but high-quality line, chain and splicing. https://www.secosouth.com/marine/anchor-rode/

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wow, 500ft of rope seems like the answer, just in case I am in 70ft of water....I wonder what the chances are of me ever needing to be in that deep of water though....

If I am looking at 70ft depth, then that would mean 490ft rode

Call it 500

Maybe I need to think about how deep I really expect to go in and then anchor... at the jetties? You bet....at a rig, probably not.

Doubt that much would even fit in the locker.. heh

R

Lsquared

Reaction score
I anchored in 80 just a few weeks ago in the Keys. you never know, I got tired of drifting and having to move back to the fish. I found them and wanted to stay on top of them so i dropped the anchor.

just make sure the bitter end is tied off.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Russ, I have a Marlin with 22# delta anchor 30' of 1/4" chain and 600' of 1/2" 3 strand rope. I have effectively anchored in 130'-140' in my area with pretty decent wind and current. My anchor locker barely holds all the rope and chain. I often have to have someone on the bow to help pull rope down in the locker because the windlass will bind up while retrieving. I've got a Lewmar 700 I'm not that impressed with. If I replace my rope I will go with 8ply but its considerably more expensive, like double. I had my chain spliced at the place I bought the rope and chain and they did a great job. They're local in Jacksonville but do ship if you cant find what you want locally. If you need post up and I'll find their info and post up. I think my setup with rope and chain was around $300 but it's been a few years so I may be a little off.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No one uses a 7:1 scope to fish, that is for sleeping. Assuming straight lines for the calculation, you would have to find your fishing spot, go 495 feet away to drop your anchor, and hope to drift back over your spot. Most serious bottom fishermen don't even get to 2:1.

Fishtales

Reaction score
id get the right size anchor for the boat length, if on the bubble go bigger. 1/4" chain length of boat and 400' of 1/2" line unless you fish deep. should be more than enough.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I often have to have someone on the bow to help pull rope down in the locker because the windlass will bind up while retrieving. I've got a Lewmar 700 I'm not that impressed with. If I replace my rope I will go with 8ply but its considerably more expensive, like double.

No surprise at needing someone to "assist" the line into the locker. Using 8-plait will make all the difference, as it 'falls' much like chain does, and doesn't need all that assistance to lay down.

The locker on our Islander 270 is much smaller than your Marlin, and we had no problem with our 8-plait rode.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Get out the Chapmans. Rope to chain is 3 to 1 lunch hook. 5 to 1 overnight. 7 to 1 a blow. All chain 3 to 1 overnight. 5 to 1 a blow. That’s all assuming you have a real anchor. Rockna is the hands down best. Doesn’t fit great in the pulpit though. CQR is good too.

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We have a 52 foot house boat, would you recommend a different product for a larger than Regatta Marine Essentials Dock Line? Needing 8 lines, thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Chain usually is the length of the boat. Only real purpose is to position the anchor better to set and hold.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I second SecoSouth! Best price and great product. Thinking of doing a refresh this year from them for my 600' 8 plait with 30- 1/4" G4. I have the Profish 700 windlass. 8 Plait is really good stuff and stores perfectly as mentioned above.