Slow day at work, brainstorming. Fresh water systems, plumbing, adding fresh water washdown.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
OK. 92 Explorer.. main fuel tank aft. (currently only a 5 gallon freshwater holding tank in forward compartment. Going to remove that and add the full length 46 gal aux fuel tank. It only about 10 inches tall. This will allow me to add a 30-40 gallon shallow freshwater holding tank on top of aux fuel tank. (not directly on top, I would frame it to support the weight) I have the little sink in the cuddy. I would like to keep that, but also run another pressure pump for a freshwater washdown hose. Fittings and lines are already there. I moved the raw water washdown to the bilge.
Can I run a T-fitting of the tank and run 2 pumps off the single tank with 1 outlet fitting? The gally sink supply is currently a 1/4 hose... Should I install 1 way check valves? I know what I want to do just cant seem to wrap my head around how to do it. Or would it be easier to run both off 1 pump..?? I'm not sure how to accomplish that. The galley sink has the switch built into the faucet. I could run a second power wire to a switch for the washdown, but if anyone used the galley sink with the wash down switched on it would pop a fuse for sure.

Its the last thing I have to figure out for a seal up all the decks.

help me figure this one out fellas... ;)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You already have one freshwater pump and sink faucet and windshield washer? So you already have one tank?
feshwater pump is usually designed to kick on when you open a faucet.(provided the Freshwater power switch is on)
I don't think you can have two pumps on the FW lines.

I'm going to do similar. I never use sinks so I'm going to plumb one line out under the gunnel to a hose fitting.
Not changing pump. Just use the low pressure freshwater to rinse things.
My Freshwater switch is on the dash next to the Washdown switch.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
If you put your Tee in the line before your automatic fresh water pump and ran it to a blaster washdown pump and powered it with a switch for each use it would work. You would have to keep the power off on the auto pump to the faucet. 30-40 gallons would be plenty of water

Reactions: Chessie246G

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You already have one freshwater pump and sink faucet and windshield washer? So you already have one tank?
feshwater pump is usually designed to kick on when you open a faucet.(provided the Freshwater power switch is on)
I don't think you can have two pumps on the FW lines.

I'm going to do similar. I never use sinks so I'm going to plumb one line out under the gunnel to a hose fitting.
Not changing pump. Just use the low pressure freshwater to rinse things.
My Freshwater switch is on the dash next to the Washdown switch.
Correct, I already have one pump and a galley sink in the cabin. Turns on/off with the knob to turn the sink on. I do not have freshwater power switch. I already have the washdown fitting and supply hose plumbed right beside the port livewell (under the passenger seat) It was originally the raw water washdown, but I moved that to the bilge. and added another hose fitting. I had to get the pickup tube out of the way for the aux fuel tank. The pickup was smack dab in the middle of the forward compartment.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There is probably, or was definitely, a swicth for Freshwater pump. never seen one without it.. Need it because if there is a leak it will run the pump.
IMO you don't need a high pressure FW hose. Just use the existing pump and add a hose.
except...
You will have two tanks? I'm still confused. Rigging to draw from two tanks requires brain cells. You could just get another pump and keep them separate. Seems like a lot of work for not much gain..

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Removing the 5 gallon existing tank and adding a 30-40 gal tank. just 1 tank.

Ill have to double check this evening on the switch. my wiring diagram shows the wire to the freshwater pump going directly to the fuse block not the switch panel.

I think you're right. Tee off after the pump, plumb the tee to the washdown spigot and add a switch to run the washdown hose separate. Just have to remember not to use the galley sink while the washdown hose is on.

Last edited:

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may want to have a stability test done on your boat after you add all the extra weight in different locations for your own safety

Reactions: Angler Management

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You may want to have a stability test done on your boat after you add all the extra weight in different locations for your own safety
not a bad idea. The boat was designed with an option for aux fuel tank, mine came without it. Not really adding more than what could have been there originally except maybe 80-120lbs of water. Not adding more than the weight of 1 small sized person. Its already stern heavy, so the extra weight forward should even it out a good bit. My other option was to move the batteries forward for better balance.

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
not a bad idea. The boat was designed with an option for aux fuel tank, mine came without it. Not really adding more than what could have been there originally except maybe 80-120lbs of water. Not adding more than the weight of 1 small sized person. Its already stern heavy, so the extra weight forward should even it out a good bit. My other option was to move the batteries forward for better balance.
30-40 gallons is almost 400 pounds with the tank and you said you wanted to mount it on top of another tank. Just research stability issues on boats is all I’m saying

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Different boat, but I had a freshwater shower hose on my transom that I moved to a spigot above my saltwater washdown spigot. I added quick disconnects so I only need one hose and can swap from salt to fresh and back again.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
OK. 92 Explorer.. main fuel tank aft. (currently only a 5 gallon freshwater holding tank in forward compartment. Going to remove that and add the full length 46 gal aux fuel tank. It only about 10 inches tall. This will allow me to add a 30-40 gallon shallow freshwater holding tank on top of aux fuel tank. (not directly on top, I would frame it to support the weight) I have the little sink in the cuddy. I would like to keep that, but also run another pressure pump for a freshwater washdown hose. Fittings and lines are already there. I moved the raw water washdown to the bilge.
Can I run a T-fitting of the tank and run 2 pumps off the single tank with 1 outlet fitting? The gally sink supply is currently a 1/4 hose... Should I install 1 way check valves? I know what I want to do just cant seem to wrap my head around how to do it. Or would it be easier to run both off 1 pump..?? I'm not sure how to accomplish that. The galley sink has the switch built into the faucet. I could run a second power wire to a switch for the washdown, but if anyone used the galley sink with the wash down switched on it would pop a fuse for sure.

Its the last thing I have to figure out for a seal up all the decks.

help me figure this one out fellas... ;)
Stupid question.. why do you want to add that much fresh water, and need that much from that little sink down below?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The galley sink does not have a switch built into the faucet. The only wiring in the system is power to the pump. The pump senses a drop in line pressure when the faucet is opened, and turns itself on, and off when the pressure builds up after you close the faucet.
I agree, that’s a lot of fresh water, unless you all plan to shower after you swim.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Chessie, I realize this post is from May. Are you still in the planning stages, here? What is your end game... what do you want to use the fresh water for?