Smelling fuel inside console

hardasset16

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2002 192 Tournament. When I open the starboard console door, I can smell fuel inside. I noticed that the fuel fill and vent run down through this compartment. I am not smelling fuel when the bilge or inspection plates are opened. Is this a problem? If so, solutions? I really don't think it is a tank issue, as I would imagine I would be smelling it in the bilge or upon inspecting the tank if it was.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hoses (clamps) could be a bit loose... but could also just be (most likely) older hoses and permeation. As hoses get old, they start to allow odors to permeate the hose wall - ethanol in the fuel hastens this. But I'd still check the pickup hose and sending unit gasket.

seasick

Reaction score
hardasset16 said:
I have a new to me 2002 192 Tournament. When I open the starboard console door, I can smell fuel inside. I noticed that the fuel fill and vent run down through this compartment. I am not smelling fuel when the bilge or inspection plates are opened. Is this a problem? If so, solutions? I really don't think it is a tank issue, as I would imagine I would be smelling it in the bilge or upon inspecting the tank if it was.

I have had fuel odors on and off for years on my 208. It only happens when either the whole boat is covered in the winter or when using the helm cover. The odor is only in the helm are, not the cabin, tank area or bilge. It doesn't occur when refueling either. I assume it is related to permeation as mentioned or to some weird venting issue with the combo fill/vent fitting. The few times a year I notice it, I sniff around, check the bilge and then go boating.

hardasset16

Reaction score
Mine is limited to inside the starboard console, and it does seem to be more noticeable when I have had the boat covered for a while. I do think it is a potentially bad situation given the location of the fuse block and will investigate.

seasick

Reaction score
hardasset16 said:
Mine is limited to inside the starboard console, and it does seem to be more noticeable when I have had the boat covered for a while. I do think it is a potentially bad situation given the location of the fuse block and will investigate.

The combo fuel fill/vent is on that side and the hoses and bottom of the fitting are exposed under the gunnel in the helm area. It may be that the vent is venting and somehow get pulled into the helm when covered. I have to do some research but I think that the combo fill/vent has a rubber 'valve' that opens up under vacuum. I know that if it is stuck closed, you can get the collapsed primer bulb issue but I wonder what happens if it gets stuck open.I may be crazy but after 12 years of noticing the odor on and off, it really doesn't concern me.

johnsonericm

Reaction score
I had the same issue. I replaced all fuel lines and sending unit gasket this year on my 204c. PITA but it solved the problem. If you rub your fingers on the outside of a hose and they smell like gas it's a good indicator I think.

seasick

Reaction score
johnsonericm said:
I had the same issue. I replaced all fuel lines and sending unit gasket this year on my 204c. PITA but it solved the problem. If you rub your fingers on the outside of a hose and they smell like gas it's a good indicator I think.
Just curious; Were you able to smell gas in the bilge or in the gas tank area under deck? In my case I only smell it under the helm cover. That could be vapor permeating the fill or vent hoses but it could be vapor escaping the combo fill/vent. The placement of the vent and fill hoses is such that liquid gas does not pool in either. Granted when gassing up, there is gas in the fill line but as mentioned, I do not have a gas smell in the bilge or tank compartment after gassing up. Note that I rarely if ever fill the tank till the nozzle clicks. It hardly ever goes over 3/4 full.

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Check the vent tube cover on the outside and the vent tube connector on the inside.

seasick

Reaction score
Yamama said:
Check the vent tube cover on the outside and the vent tube connector on the inside.
This boat uses a combo Perko fill/vent fitting. There is no vent on the hull.