Smiley Zipper Install - Update

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got all my supplies from Sailrite. As I mentioned they offer a how-to streaming video for $5. The secret is the basting tape as everything is laid out and stuck on before you even start sewing. It's almost like cheating it's so easy. However this first zipper took me about 3 hours from setup to completion.

I'll lay out a photo progression as I install the first zipper in the front eisinglass.

Here are the supplies, #10 coil zipper. Should have used a #5, would have been plenty heavy enough. Basting adhesive tape, it's sticky both sides with a peel off liner, 3/4" sunbrella edge binding tape, UV resistant poly thread to match, and the zipper pulls.
DSC02425.jpg

The old ties on the outside were right where I wanted to install the zipper, so I trimmed those off. Will sew them back on after the install.
DSC02426.jpg

Next mark the zipper location with a grease pencil. Yep, I eyeballed it.
DSC02428.jpg

Apply 1/4" basting tape, it's clear, to both sides of the edge binding tape. It has finished edges, it's folded under and pressed on both sides so it lays flat. The secret here is BIAS tape, it takes to a curve quite easily and goes on pretty smooth.
DSC02429.jpg

Apply the outside tape to the outside of the window, sticking the outside curve first, stretching it a bit, then the inside edge, tucking it in around the radius. Then sew both edges.
DSC02430.jpg

Stick on the inside tape and sew it on as well.
DSC02432.jpg

Our Bernina sews thru anything. We use a #18 needle for canvas and heavy fabric. Set the motor down real slow and it is easy to guide the material thru. Start and stop with a back-stitch to lock the stitches.
DSC02433.jpg

Next we apply the basting tape to both sides of the zipper. The zipper stays locked together. Another secret here is the COIL zipper, not a straight zipper, as it also takes to a curve pretty easily.
DSC02435.jpg

We sew the outside edge, then the inside edge.
DSC02438.jpg

Now we seperate the zipper teeth and feed on the slide.
DSC02439.jpg

Both ends of the zipper are locked by melting the teeth together with heat.
DSC02440.jpg

And sew down the ends of the zippers to the headstrip of the windshield. You can see my stitches are not exactly professional, but we're going thru about four thicknesses plus the glass, plus the rubber weather strip.
DSC02444.jpg

Unzip and cut between the outside edge-binding tapes.
DSC02441.jpg

And voila - I have a smiley window. The holding straps were too long now so installed a new snap and trimmed of the excess.
DSC02443.jpg

And success!
DSC02445.jpg

The finished smile zipper from the outside.
DSC02446.jpg

I'll post a pic up of the finished panel installed on the boat. It's going to be just soooo much more convenient to unzip the smiles instead of having to completely unsnap the entire windshield to roll either side up for vision and ventilation.

EDIT: By golly, this is post 750!

jweschler

Reaction score
Looks good, I am glad you bought the DVD that shows a bunch of little things that you can not get from a book. I did an entire bimini top with glass and it turn out great. I also did my interior cushions and filler cushions for my 232 gulfstream and that was a great winter project. I am going to be doing my morning cover and new canvas and glass for my hard top this winter and everything will be new. The ones I have on now are 14 years old and still look great but they are starting to fray and get scrached up and has lost its weater protection. Good Job.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fantastic job, CJ. Thanks for posting. Now if only I had a Bernina.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like the zippers, when the canvas guy did my set he had to cut snips into the outer edges to get the zipper to bend on the turns, I see you didn't have to contend with that.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's a fun project. One always wonders when you start cutting and stitching into your precious canvas pieces whether you're going to ruin them or not. :roll:

Below is a pic of KingJ's and my boat rafted up last year on one of our lobster trips. Twin 208's, Jim's is on the left, it's a 2001, and mine is on the right, a 2006. Notice the height of the two tops, and Jim's has the smilies. Jim has a slip in this marina and keeps his canvas up year 'round, with a full boat cover in sunbrella, it goes on right over the canvas top. My curtains are always stored in a bag in the cabin since mine goes on a trailer.

His has a much nicer profile, mine looks too tall. His has plenty of headroom, but you gotta figure Grady got enough requests from tall guys so they spec'd it up a few inches in later years. They also changed the back-drop design at the floor and extended it a bit making the space more usable behind the seats. I've only used mine a few times in three years, but sure is handy when it's cold or windy. Jim uses his smilies every trip. We were out for a harbor cruise with him a few weeks ago and that was just enough to get me on the stick to do mine.
vedettechum2.jpg

Here's another pic of mine docked up with the full canvas, side curtains, and back-drop. So yes, the soft-top has the full enclosure option. I think it's about $1200 from the factory on a new boat. Very nicely done though, really adds a lot of versatility to the boat.
vedettechum9.jpg

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As promised, a couple'a pics with them installed. They really work slick.

I dunno, I'll bet they quit installing them for three reasons...
cost
on the smaller windows its a little redundant
I bet they leak

I have not tested them for water-tightness although it's evident they're not. For the occasional spray we'll get they'll be fine, but for extended rainy periods I think it would be a hassle. Since we get 10 days of rain a year and none when we boat, we'll be fine.

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

EDIT: And yes, my 15-year old is typically glued to his texting phone... :?