solar juice

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi guys, Wondering if any of you have a solar panel to keep your batteries on your boat topped up. I am (for the first time) putting my boat in at a salt water marina for the summer. May have an issue accessing power at the dock, so would appreciate any info on purchasing a small solar panel and regulator to keep my batteries topped. Do not need to run anything while docked. I have two 27 combo dual purpose batteries with a an ACR. Possibly something I can have exposed while at the dock and then tuck away ...or not, when heading out. With thanks for any responce.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi Trapper - I have 2 10W PV Polycrystalline solar panels I use to keep my batteries topped off when in my dry storage lot. 1 panel for each battery. I also use a the battery tender solar panel charger controller with each panel. I run the ACR and dual purpose batteries as well - I wire the panels directly to each battery. My current batteries were purchased 3 years and are fine.

It may be overkill, but my batteries are always topped off and ready to go. I used the same set up for years on my previous whaler with no issues, I got 5 years from the batteries and then changed them out as preventative maint.

Not close to the boat at the moment, but can snap pics if you want to see it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I use the Battery Tender 5W one - it's not big, but it's enough to work as a maintainer. You'll be coming back in with fully charged batteries, I assume, because you were just running the engine. So you likely don't need a "charger".

On the other hand, if you're using the boat at least every 3 weeks or so, you really don't need to do anything. Healthy batteries will EASILY stay plenty charged for that time frame.

On the other, other hand... it's never a bad idea to keep batteries topped off as it will actually help them last longer.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Look forward to photos from Sdfish, Good point Dennis, just not sure how long it will be between uses but no doubt will be pulling it out to power wash it a few times over the summer. Like the idea of the back up for the batteries and from my limited homework it does not appear to expensive to do, and as you mentioned give the batteries longevity.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have one on my boat. I have no idea if it works!

I haven't figured out if I need to leave the battery banks on to have it work either....

mostly just tagged this for interest

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bird, that's definitely something you move up on your priority list. If the panel is bad, there's a possibility that it could be DRAINING your batteries.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bough this solar charger and am very happy what it does. Batteries always have full charge, I leave the panel on my 228's dash where I can't see it and the wires are hidden.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks leeccoll, Still doing homework on the solar panels, do like the one you have but am a little restricted to what is available up here on the Island. Trying to find the same products you guys have access to can be difficult , and then there is always shipping cost and sometimes the customs penalty for daring to cross the border. Something about "free trade agreement"........not quite???

Reactions: leeccoll

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned and from my own experience, charged batteries that do not have constant loads, will stay fairly well charged for a long time. In fact I have not had the need to charge my batteries on my 208 before starting the motor in the spring after the winter layup. The batteries are not on any maintainer during the winter.
That said, a maintainer , AC or solar may help in some cases for example where certain devices are connected that draw small currents. Stereo memory backup, electronic water sensing bilge pumps, some CO detectors, some alarms and the like.
In cases where higher current draws are happening on a somewhat regular basis, the solar option won't really help. The one more common situation is a wet bilge caused by leakage perhaps, rain water , etc. If the bilge is pumping regularly, a battery can run down quickly.
So in normal cases, and assuming no current loads or just very small loads, your batteries should be fine for a few weeks easily.

If you don't have access to shore power at your dock but have access to AC service while you are at the boat ( extension cord approach), I would suggest a small plug in charger. A portable power pack is also a good product since you can keep it on the boat charged and should you fall asleep while anchored and run down a battery, the power pack may be enough to get you started.

Last edited:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I do not use solar on my big boat as it is on a lift in the backyard and 120 ac always available. I do however utilize solar in many other applications. For the J14 skiff which has a elec start and single battery I have a 50 watt panel and a charge controller wired up on the dock and connected to the battery when boat is on the lift. At my off grid camp I have a panels and a large bank of golf cart batteries with charger/ inverter to provide ac current. More to the point asked above I also use small panels and controllers to maintain tractor batteries and a generator battery. They work great. My advice is to buy a 40-50 watt panel and charge controller not a very small panel that does not require a controller. As for controllers they are now available as multi bank controllers, that is one controller can maintain/charge 2 batteries at the same time, thus taking away the need for multiple complete systems for multiple batteries. Lastly these small systems are really just maintainers and may not suffice to charge a deeply discharged battery.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Once again this GG site has proven to be the very best in knowledge sharing through hands on experience and education. Where else can a guy go to get this kind of valuable daily experience. So much appreciated!!! Thanks seasick and dogdoc for sharing. Yes seasick I do pack a portable power pack and have for years as back up, moving it back and forth from my 208 to my AB inflatable as used.. dogdoc I will look into purchasing a solar unit when I see how my 208 "yacht" keeps its battery charge at the marina over time.
Will be putting at the Marina toward the end of the month. Hoping, weather permitting I will be going out weekly so maybe no need for the solar just yet. The only draw I anticipate is rainwater and no saltwater in the bilge activating the bilge pump. With no other draws showing up in its kennel at home. I have an onboard charger I keep plugged in between launching which has been only half a dozen times over the winter. So maybe I should disconnect while on the dry to see if there is any phantom drawer or otherwise.
Looking forward with a little apprehension to putting my baby in an orphanage about 30 minutes from home. First time she has been left on her own. I am anticipating missing the launching and retrieval zoo at the local ramps this summer. Happiness is....

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just a side note on the small one I mentioned - for keeping the battery "topped off" from bilge pump draw that's all you really need. Remember, the bilge pump comes on very ocassionally but the charger works all the time (well, not "all" the time, but you know what I mean). If I remember correctly, it comes with suction cups so you could stick it to the motor hood.

seasick

Reaction score
Once again this GG site has proven to be the very best in knowledge sharing through hands on experience and education. Where else can a guy go to get this kind of valuable daily experience. So much appreciated!!! Thanks seasick and dogdoc for sharing. Yes seasick I do pack a portable power pack and have for years as back up, moving it back and forth from my 208 to my AB inflatable as used.. dogdoc I will look into purchasing a solar unit when I see how my 208 "yacht" keeps its battery charge at the marina over time.
Will be putting at the Marina toward the end of the month. Hoping, weather permitting I will be going out weekly so maybe no need for the solar just yet. The only draw I anticipate is rainwater and no saltwater in the bilge activating the bilge pump. With no other draws showing up in its kennel at home. I have an onboard charger I keep plugged in between launching which has been only half a dozen times over the winter. So maybe I should disconnect while on the dry to see if there is any phantom drawer or otherwise.
Looking forward with a little apprehension to putting my baby in an orphanage about 30 minutes from home. First time she has been left on her own. I am anticipating missing the launching and retrieval zoo at the local ramps this summer. Happiness is....
Not having to launch and haul with crowds waiting for the ramp will be such a nice change. The down side is that over time, you may forget the little tricks you learned when hauling or launching:)
Enjoy the summer and your new 'home'

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks seasick, It is not the "over time you may forget the......." It is the present memory , or lack of that concerns me. You know the old saying, "I have a great memory its just short. I am hoping it is ingrained as I have been backing down ramps for 40 years.......don't fail me now!:)

seasick

Reaction score
LOL. Two seasons ago for the first time, I forgot the bilge plug, so it is possible to 'forget' things that you might expect to be ingrained:)
I started to make a checklist but would forget to bring it:)

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Bird, that's definitely something you move up on your priority list. If the panel is bad, there's a possibility that it could be DRAINING your batteries.
Left the battery switches on the last few days. I am def getting a trickle charge w my batteries. Panel seems to be working !

Last edited:
Reactions: JKM and Sdfish

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks SoLucky, I am going to dock without any solar and see how may batteries do over time, if they will be needing the juice I will go to solar.