Spider cracks around drains...

fishone

Reaction score
My 95 GW 226 had new splashwell drains installed by the dealer four years ago. ( I did not notice any cracks then ) I am noticing small spider cracks below them, now approximatlly 2"to 3" long. Should I be concerned ? I am worried that water can seep in and eventually cause some damage.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same concerns and made my dealer fix them.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I believe that one of the reasons for gel coat cracking is caused by putting it on too thick. The rates of thermal expansion between the sub strait and the gel coat get screwed up or the gel coat is not elastic enough to move with the sub strait. Not my area of expertise but it’s something like that. At any rate if it were me I would ask the dealer that put it on in the first place to stand behind there work and fix it. Fundamentally no cracks are better than having crack no matter how you slice it.

gw204

Reaction score
It is also possible that the drains were installed too tight (compressions tool used cases some deflection and the area has been under pressure ever since) and/or they weren't sealed properly and have since allowed water into the transom core and things have started to rot and flex.

I would start by having the drains removed so you can check the integrity of the core. If you core is bad, a few stress cracks are the lest of your concerns.