spongy gas tank floor panel

stmry

Reaction score
hello, I have a '97 226 that i bought last year. i noticed the floor panel co vering the gas tank was flexing alot. I removed it and peeled off the fiblerglass and the spongy wood backing. my question is Has anyonelse done this? What type of plywood and adhesive should i use to glue the new plywood? any help would be appreciated. thanks,steve

Protek9543

Reaction score
Getting ready to do mine. Already did the transom. I plan on using marine plywood and epoxy resin.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Lots and lots of threads on this none problem.

Use the search link and it should walk you thru the whole process. :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very common, you can do yourself if so capable, or take to fiberglass shop to recore.

stmry

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the old fiberglass and blocks of wood off of the cover. sanded the back side of the cover smooth and epoxied a 3/4 inch piece of bc grade plywood to the cover, and then glassed over it. i also thru bolted the cover to the plywood thru the round access panels. it is super strong. cost about $100.00 when all was said and done.

jehines3

Reaction score
stmry, the main reason for failure is the ability for water to infiltrate the core. The best methods are to not screw through the core by making the core not to the edge, or over drill the holes and refill with spoxy and redrill proper size. I prefer the latter. Same is true for the inspection ports. jh

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
John, he can go back later and use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch counter bore (forstner bit) from the back side and fill the holes with thickened opoxy, then redril and countersink from the top side.

In either case, the screws have to be well sealed, if not for the cover, the stringers have to be protected. They are more important, no $100 deal on those!