Spring projects...

bartoma

Reaction score
The list is starting to shrink... Biggest job was sanding and painting the bottom... I then ran the 3-in1 transducer cable to the new carbon MFD... replaced cup fuel filters, oil strainers (in tank), and in-line oil filter on engine... Checked the plugs - GTG... Did the VST, silver cans, water pump, and thermostats last year... Port lower unit has a leak - after replacing the seals... So it's in the shop for further investigation...

Still planning on replacing basket filters in pumps and injectors... Also going to replace oil filters associated with remote tanks...

20210311_144526.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
o_OWOW! That is some bottom paint!

I have a big list. So far I waxed the hull, need to comound the topsides and hardtop and then wax.
I serviced motors in the fall.

Project in progress;
removed old B744 to mount GT51, install an R199 in a tub, cut open dash for re-make with starboard and 12" mfd, make some fiberglass repairs to tank hatch and hull.
New enclosure on order. New sonar and radar need to be installed.

Bottom paint next weather window.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did or had done:
-Head, replaced the Jabsco hand pump and hose to loop, the stink is already lessened
-Enclosure, AJ made it, I did the install
-Painted engines custom color to match GW hull, great guy out of Middle River, Md did this for me. I'll do the decals when they show up
-Serviced lower units
-Trim rams and associated seals, all four pistons
-Tilt ram sub assy on the stbd
-Hoses from pickups to livewell and washdown
-Seacocks for livewell and washdown, mine looked bad and were even worse once we got them off
-Livewell pump
-Simrad AP
-LSS2 transducer, my old one was destroyed by a submerged log on the bay
-Used thin weather stripping to seal up windows and front hatch, so far so good on testing with garden hose
-That little rubber bumper on the cabin door, if anyone is around Annapolis have a bag of 11 of these now.
-Brass drain tubes in spashwell, again if your in the area I have one.
-Removed the window dressing box for the port side cabin window, used a piece pvc board painted to match GW cabin and hung curtain rail from it. Opens up the space dramatically, will install rod holders when i get it back to the house

In process:
-New switch and gauge panels from New Wire Marine, in production
-Aqua Traction decking, in production, laser etched GW logo in the cockpit center
-New emblems and striping along with compound and wax (weather dependent)
-Remainder of the 100 hour service

The list was pretty daunting back in December, but has slowly shortened, can't wait to splash it here soon.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
I'm taking my 228 to the Keys the second week of April so I'm getting an early start.
- Upgraded my batteries to (2) group 31 AGM
- Removed both cabin windows, replaced gaskets and resealed
- Replaced supper houses and deck fittings
- Checked all the pumps, houses, and fittings. Found the strainer on my FW pump that was all gunked up, no wonder it wasn't working. In the process I pulled the bait well and inspected the bilge, Ok for now.
- General repairs and cleaning...

Those were the major ones that had to be done. Still may add a 3rd battery dedicated to starting, solar charger, garmin 8610, ducer, and Wx module, underwater LED, Cockpit accent lighting under the gunnel, life best storage bag under the hard top...

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I'm taking my 228 to the Keys the second week of April so I'm getting an early start.
- Upgraded my batteries to (2) group 31 AGM
- Removed both cabin windows, replaced gaskets and resealed
- Replaced supper houses and deck fittings
- Checked all the pumps, houses, and fittings. Found the strainer on my FW pump that was all gunked up, no wonder it wasn't working. In the process I pulled the bait well and inspected the bilge, Ok for now.
- General repairs and cleaning...

Those were the major ones that had to be done. Still may add a 3rd battery dedicated to starting, solar charger, garmin 8610, ducer, and Wx module, underwater LED, Cockpit accent lighting under the gunnel, life best storage bag under the hard top...
Just for kicks and giggles...don't forget your trailer bearings, hubs and tires. that's a long trip to the Keys. Make sure your brakes are not hung up either adding extra friction and heat to your hubs. Ask me how I know ...lol.

Reactions: PointedRose

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
o_OWOW! That is some bottom paint!

I have a big list. So far I waxed the hull, need to comound the topsides and hardtop and then wax.
I serviced motors in the fall.

Project in progress;
removed old B744 to mount GT51, install an R199 in a tub, cut open dash for re-make with starboard and 12" mfd, make some fiberglass repairs to tank hatch and hull.
New enclosure on order. New sonar and radar need to be installed.

Bottom paint next weather window.

You know , I kind of like the yellow. I read once some survival ideas if you're lost at sea on your boat and it turtles upside down. The article said paint a big orange diamond on your bottom side of the hull. Why? because a turtled boat is white and white hulls look like white caps from a helicopter or aeroplane. Add orange diamond or stripes and your boat shows up better. So in this vane, that yellow paint could actually be a life saver if things go wrong.

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
Just for kicks and giggles...don't forget your trailer bearings, hubs and tires. that's a long trip to the Keys. Make sure your brakes are not hung up either adding extra friction and heat to your hubs. Ask me how I know ...lol.
Smokey, You're reading my mind, scary . I've trailered my 17' Whaler to the Keys dozens of times so I've had some experience(s) but realize this is a new animal. I bought the trailer new last spring, it probably has about 1000 miles on it so trying to decide if I should do them all now or just do one to see what it looks like then do them all when I get home. For spares I carry (2) tires, (1) hub, (10) lugs / nuts, and (8) sets of bearings, lots of grease and two guns.

Last fall I bought a piston jack so I wouldn't need to dig out the jack for my truck but even using blocks I couldn't get the wheel off the ground. I'm looking at scissor Jacks now but wondering what you all think is best.

Reactions: PointedRose

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For my tandem trailer I have one of these. Pull or back up good tire onto it and replace flat or bearings. Left over from my horse trailer days.

Screenshot_20210316-090937_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
As soon as it warms up in RI, I will be installing a new sound system from soup to nuts. Purchased new JL amps, speakers, a sub, and a new Fusion head unit. Speaker holes to cut/enlarge, and lots of wire to pull. Will be busy for a couple of weeks.
Rusty,
I am also thinking of replacing the sound system on my boat, and I like the Fusion head units. I would be interested in knowing more about the amps and speakers.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
As soon as it warms up in RI, I will be installing a new sound system from soup to nuts. Purchased new JL amps, speakers, a sub, and a new Fusion head unit. Speaker holes to cut/enlarge, and lots of wire to pull. Will be busy for a couple of weeks.
Rusty, I'm doing the same thing. What did you buy. I bought Fusion MS-RA70nsx, 4 each - JL Audio M3-650X-S-Gw-i - M3 6.5", JL Audio MLC-RW Marine LED Lighting Controller with WiFi, JL Audio M400/4: 4 Ch. Marine Amplifier 400 W, JL Audio C2-525x: 5.25-inch pair for the cabin. I'm only amplifying the outside speakers at the helm and the stern. I got a nice deal 10% off everything from CreativeAudio.com code is NEW10 if you need anything else. Hope your install goes well.

bartoma

Reaction score
You know , I kind of like the yellow. I read once some survival ideas if you're lost at sea on your boat and it turtles upside down. The article said paint a big orange diamond on your bottom side of the hull. Why? because a turtled boat is white and white hulls look like white caps from a helicopter or aeroplane. Add orange diamond or stripes and your boat shows up better. So in this vane, that yellow paint could actually be a life saver if things go wrong.
I had it blasted a few years ago and went with the Petit Vivid over barrier coat... I keep it on a lift, and the Vivid seems like it's oriented for boats that live on a rack, trailer, or lift...

The first go around, the paint didn't seem top adhere particularly well (may have been poorly applied by me) - hoping this coat holds up a little better...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tub of StayAfloat.
Bottom paint is unique and looks good!

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Im still shrink wrapped .....I did stop at my grady dealer last saturday and talk about doing things..

seasick

Reaction score
The first go around, the paint didn't seem top adhere particularly well (may have been poorly applied by me) - hoping this coat holds up a little better...
The time window for applying the first top coat over the last barrier coat is critical and is based mainly on ambient temperature and more importantly hull temperature.
If you wait too long, you have to lightly sand the barrier coat. Otherwise, the top coat may not stick.
Likewise, you can't apply the top coat right after painting the last barrier coat.
Finally, depending on the paint, there is a minimum wait time after the last top coat to launch.
Bottom paint is very picky about the applications instructions being followed.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Smokey, You're reading my mind, scary . I've trailered my 17' Whaler to the Keys dozens of times so I've had some experience(s) but realize this is a new animal. I bought the trailer new last spring, it probably has about 1000 miles on it so trying to decide if I should do them all now or just do one to see what it looks like then do them all when I get home. For spares I carry (2) tires, (1) hub, (10) lugs / nuts, and (8) sets of bearings, lots of grease and two guns.

Last fall I bought a piston jack so I wouldn't need to dig out the jack for my truck but even using blocks I couldn't get the wheel off the ground. I'm looking at scissor Jacks now but wondering what you all think is best.

first time I got my trailer out on the road, bearing basically disintegratedsmoking on the highway. Luckily limped another 6 miles to the ramp to splash the boat on three wheels. We did add grease right before too. One thing that is handy is a
Handheld temperature gauge to pull over and check bearing heat.
Still deciding about getting rid of the trailer or if it’s worth fixing. 2008 pacific trailer

throw in a couple 2x4 blocks in case you need a platform for the Jack on the side of a highway.

Etekcity Lasergrip 1080... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
first time I got my trailer out on the road, bearing basically disintegratedsmoking on the highway. Luckily limped another 6 miles to the ramp to splash the boat on three wheels. We did add grease right before too. One thing that is handy is a
Handheld temperature gauge to pull over and check bearing heat.
Still deciding about getting rid of the trailer or if it’s worth fixing. 2008 pacific trailer

throw in a couple 2x4 blocks in case you need a platform for the Jack on the side of a highway.

Etekcity Lasergrip 1080... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I have a 2020 Pacific Trailer, was told will last 20 years with the right maintenance. If the frame is in good shape, I would fix and keep. If fame is not in good shape, I would replace with new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a 2020 Pacific Trailer, was told will last 20 years with the right maintenance. If the frame is in good shape, I would fix and keep. If fame is nit in good shape, I would replace with new.
Thanks heard a new double axle would be like $6-8k. I’ve connected with a Bay Area trailer repair guy and he’s quoted a little shy of $2k for brakes, tires, rotors, bunk brackets, bearings, etc. basically to get it reliable. Unfortunately the prior owner didn’t get the memo on trailer maintenance although he told me it needed work, and I was buying the boat, not really the trailer. I have it berthed so might just use for a couple years then sell and upgrade.