SSB

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Boat looking great, systems getting dialed.

I had a USCGA inspection as I always do in the Spring, and the gent mentioned that with all the offshore ocean fishing and remote trips we take, I should consider adding a SSB radio to cover me if I'm ever out of range with my 25W VHF

I've researched the subject a bit, but the information on how to apply a SSB radio to actual real life situations is sparse.

Anyone want to spend a few minutes typing to enlighten me? I understand the theory and that it is longer range, but how to use? Who is my intended target for communication? Special training? Some models are priced differently?

Thanks in advance.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I don't know much about SSB, so I went with a Globalstar Sat phone.

I considered SSB so I could listen to commercials more. There are designated channels that the Coast Guard monitors, and then there are tons of channels that you can learn to monitor to pick up information. I only know a bit of HAM radio, and my issue with my size boat was what to use as a ground plane? The radios are also expensive, I'd need a auto-tuner on my small boat to simulate the length of antenna. If you make the jump, I'd love to hear more about SSB. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Randy

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know anything about SSB, either. But I'll throw another option out there...

Check out the "Spot" GPS system. Their website is findmespot.com. It's a small, handheld GPS that is connected to a service provider. It's known as a satellite messenger. The basic Spot unit is about $100 and then plans start around $10/month. Basically, if you're in trouble, click a button and the service provider team will alert the CG, land based teams, etc - whoever is closest and can offer the fastest assistance. I believe family members can be alerted, too. There's even an option where you can simply let family members you're "doing OK", but don't need help -- even as far as them being able to track your position/route on a computer. I played around with a demo model that they gave us at the store - pretty neat little unit.

I believe DeLorme offers a satellite messenger, too.

EPIRB, of course, is an option - but expensive. PLB's are a much less expensive version (little brother, so to say) of an EPIRB. ACR is a well-known company for these things.

What about a taller VHF antenna? Or mounting it higher, it's not already as high as it can go. Antenna height is one of the biggest factors to range. Do you have your VHF hooked up to your GPS (DSC)?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Single Side Bank (AM) is expensive, but takes away the line of sight problem. It brings into play the "skip" possibility where the signal skips to a distant station. As to VHF-FM, although you may be out of and range, most large vessels and all USCG ships and aircraft, monitor CH16, so if another asset is close enough, a distress call may still be received. As an ex-USCG officer I've been able to talk to Kodiak, but not Miami when in the Caribbean. Atmospherics play a bigger role I believe due to frequency and modulation (FM versus AM). Antennas are longer as well. Many of the SSB frequencies are used for digital communications and not voice. Until very recently most long over water commercial aircraft flights used SSB for ATC communications. Aircraft use VHF-AM when line of sight is not an issue, due to clarity and reliability. For distress use, a good EPIRB or an EPIRB and PLB with GPS is, by far, your best tool. For routine communications I'd recommend one of the commercially available devices like the message systems that use one of the commercial satellite constellations. Marine operators on either AM or FM are tedious and expensive if they still exist. I use an EPIRB and dual VHF-FM on my 330 express. My two cents!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks guys! Such timely responses A few thoughts.

I have a SPOT messenger. What a fun device! I have used it for years on my previous boat, and I send out an email before the trip with an e-mail address the grandparents can monitor as we crawl up the coast in and out of all the nooks and crannies of BC. It is super cool. Doesn't work in the high-walled inlets, but otherwise is a good tool for non-emergencies.

These days the sat phone makes such great sense. Let me know what you have and how you made your decision. Also do they still rent them? I'm really only going out of range for about two months of the year, maybe less.

I should get an EPIRB too. But the SSB interest was mostly for non-life threatening issues like engine trouble etc... to contact a shore station or someone else who could relay a message to the other boats we usually travel with. Really though, there are almost always other fishing boats within the line of sight of my VHF, and I'm always amazed at how far the US/BC Coasties can hear and reply.

A sat phone makes the most sense for the occasional period where a breakdown isn't an emergency (yet) and I'd like to get in touch with someone out of VHF range. Let's tweak the discussion into the Sat Phone realm....

Randy ii
:goodjob

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks like in order to rent an Iridium phone it might be $4-500 for the amount of time I'd really need it. At $1500 for a good model to purchase I could pay for it in 3 summers of rental and still use it 24/7/365 (unless it gets ripped off by the crackhead that stole my reels)

Hmmm...

RC

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Randy, just out of curiosity, why do you mention the Spot is good for "non" emergencies? It seems like it's a pretty good thing for emergencies, too? With one push of a button, the cavalry comes huntin' 'ya down!

Do you think a SAT phone would have a problem getting a signal in a high-wall area, too?

Another thought... some boat insurance companies (Boat US, for example) will rent EPIRBs. Not sure how much they are, but that might be something to check into, to. Although if your main goal is non-emergency sit's, then that wouldn't be a good option.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I didn't bite for this due to cost/value.
I have the VHF, a handheld, a cell phone, a PLB and an EPIRB on board. That seems sufficient for me.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I didn't bite for this due to cost/value.
I have the VHF, a handheld, a cell phone, a PLB and an EPIRB on board. That seems sufficient for me.

Same here plus Delorme

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I used Iridium up in a water shed. Their satellite constellation is on a polar orbit. The watershed had valleys running east/west, and there were several minutes when the satellite had dipped below the treeline, and you had to wait for the next satellite. As with all communications, know what you want to say, get it out in an efficient manner and sign off.

I've not used the GlobalStar yet. I know their satellites are lower so it takes less energy to reach them. I think they use the same ones as the Spot, so I'm guessing the satellite phone will also have issues in a deep valley. I'll not test it in that manner. I wanted it for 50 miles off shore.

The GlobalStar representative was offering a good deal on new phones purchased with an air plan. I bought a used phone, but should have held out for new, it would have been cheaper. A new GlobalStar phone is $500 or so, and they were offering a $250 credit when bought with a plan. The plan was yearly.

Randy in Oregon

ahill

Reaction score
I used a Globalstar Sat phone extensively in 2000-2002.
The only place reception would die was in center city tall building canyons. In that setting the analog feature would work where that service was available. You can also suspend service for a small monthly maintenance fee until you need to activate it for a trip.
It also looked like an Uzi with the antenna not vertical.
I've never used SSB but I would imagine it would be better than sat phone in contacting ships out of line of sight for your VHF.
The Coast Guard antennas are so tall that I get good VHF reception in Bimini & beyond even from the Key West tower.
I've heard & read that Spot & Delorme have limitations among which are you don't know if your message was received for sure.
Up to date EPIRB is the best way to save your life IMHO.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Copy!

SPOT for recreation and the occasional emergency button push in addition to EPIRB/Satphone.

SatPhone for breakdowns and injuries. Buy one and have it inactivated when necessary.

EPIRB for sinking.

Question: EPIRB use the same satellites that SPOT or SatPhones have issues with in high-walled inlets? I know some of the low earth orbit satellites have a low angle at high latitudes, pretty sure that is the problem. Maybe one is better than the other?

Thanks!

RC :goodjob

freddy063

Reaction score
I have a older ICOM with a a 23 foot antenna, it needs a turner and takes a little time to install. It works well can talk all over , but I only listen and have it set to the emergency frequency , you have to take a USCG class on proper radio used and get a one time fcc license. The worst think is mounting the ground plane, it a copper plate that bolts under the boat ,acts as a ground to support the watts and range using the water it self as a ground field. its more of I got what they want to see and not that it's the best thing to have, but it will work and I test it as needed.