Standard auxiliary power outlet vs. USB charging outlet

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 95 adventure that does not have an auxiliary charging outlet. My primary navigation will be from an iPad mini with navionics. Should I install a typical 12v auxiliary power outlet (and use a USB adapter when charging devices) or simply go straight for the USB outlet? Does it make a difference? My only concern is that there will be something that I need to charge that is not USB. Am I overthinking this?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd do the 12 volt outlet with the adapter like in your car for charging. That way you have a power source for anything else requiring 12V instead of being limited to USB only.

Fishtales

Reaction score

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just something to be aware of using tablets...

-- Tablets can, and do, overheat sometimes in the sun... and then they turn off.
-- Their screens are not "sunlight readable". Meaning, it can be very difficult to see what's on the screen in certain conditions.
-- They're not usually waterproof - although a case can fix that.

If you're going to RELY on this for navigation, you might reconsider and get a dedicated chartplotter. If, instead, this is just for fun or you don't really require it for the type of boating you do, then you'll be OK.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just something to be aware of using tablets...

-- Tablets can, and do, overheat sometimes in the sun... and then they turn off.
-- Their screens are not "sunlight readable". Meaning, it can be very difficult to see what's on the screen in certain conditions.
-- They're not usually waterproof - although a case can fix that.

If you're going to RELY on this for navigation, you might reconsider and get a dedicated chartplotter. If, instead, this is just for fun or you don't really require it for the type of boating you do, then you'll be OK.
You beat me to it Dennis. Get a GPS/FF/Chartplotter ....mounted in front of you.