Stars and Stripes

lgusto

Reaction score
All,

As I look at all the pictures on this website I've only seen one or two boats flying the stars and stripes. I'd really like to add a flag pole on the transom of my 2005 Gulfstream but now I'm wondering if there's a good reason to not do this. Will running three SS screws into the transom cause problems? How about into the hardtop?

Thanks,

Larry

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We fly the flag whenever underway. Not usually showing in the dock photos.

Properly set screws int he transom shouldn't be an issue. But if you fish then that location isn't too good.

I mounted a flag pole holder on one of the horizontal frame tubes on the back of the hardtop. Where a rocket launcher would be if we had one. We put the flag pole in and secure it with a locking pin on a lanyard.

If you have a rocket launcher on your hardtop, I think there are flagpole holders that can drop into one of the rod holders.

Notice the flag in our signature photo..

Brian

lgusto

Reaction score
Brian, thanks for your thoughts. On my boat (see pic) the hardtop overhangs the frame by a good six or eight inches so that doesn't seem to be an option for mounting. I think I'll noodle on it a bit more and will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks,

Larry

DSCF0155.JPG

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
DUH, I forgot to mention that we have a custom hard top. Boat had the Vista (soft) top when we purchased it. Frame is at the back of the top - gives our back curtains a nice vertical drop.

lgusto

Reaction score
Sinclair, thanks. I somewhere had in my head from years ago that flags were never to be flown from antennas but in searching the web for information I've found that this tradition has changed. According to the USPS it is perfectly fine to fly the US flag from an antenna on a fishing boat. So, thank you for for the suggestion and even more so for helping me update my thinking.

Do you use clips to simplify mounting and unmounting the flag? I imagine it does no harm to your radio reception?

Larry

Sinclair

Reaction score
Larry,

The clips are made for the antenna's. I believe I either purchased them from West Marine or Boaters World. Around $10.00.

No problem with reception. There's no metal involved at all.

Thanks, Sinclair :D

Bates

Reaction score
I have mine mounted to the antenna and it does fine. The clips to hold it are sold right next to the flags and work fine. I have also used tie wraps in an emergency. If you billfish you can also fly fish flags at the same time.

freddy063

Reaction score
only trouble sometimes gets caught in the fishing pole up top, got a smaller flag for this year.
100_0061.JPG

capeboter

Reaction score
Mounted mine thru the hard top with SS bolts and 5200 around the base. The base came with a ring for the under side. Works great. Got it at West Marine.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
flag

One thing I would mention that I haven't seen here-I believe there is a protocol for the size of a flag and flag pole related to the size of the vessel. I'm sure Chapman's or the USCG would have the dimentions. If I am mistaken, I apologize

freddy063

Reaction score
US Ensign
Powerboat or
Sailboat Length Size
up to 18' 12x18" flag
19' to 24' 16x24" flag
25' to 30' 20x30" flag
31' to 36' 24x36" flag
37' to 48' 30x48" flag
49' to 60' 3x5 ft flag
61' to 72' 4x6 ft flag

I found this online, But I love my flag, and I love to show her flying proud, size does matter and bigger is better. :wink:

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Freddy, your tip on not getting too big a flag really helped too.

I decided to go hard top and got the largest flag that wouldn't get caught up on fishing poles in the rocket launcher.

DSCF0195.JPG

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One tip on the hardtop mount. I put one on my Gulfstream and the flapping at high speed can be annoying. I had it mounted close to the rear of the hardtop. If I was to repeat I would mount it further toward the bow to eliminate the noise.