Starting issue

wlewis

Reaction score
My 2011 Yamaha 250 often won’t start unless I jiggle throttle lever back and forth. I’ll turn the ignition key, holding in start position, moving lever back and forth, sometimes 3 or 4 times before engine turns over and starts. I replaced neutral safety switch inside the control lever box, but it didn’t help. Is there another switch under the motor’s hood? Or might it be the ignition switch? My shifter control box is electronic and not the older style cable control.

seasick

Reaction score
There is a switch on the linkage at the motor based on the parts diagram. There are either two versions or two switches. I am not sure if that switch will stop the starter from engaging though. Its purpose is to lower motor power when changing gears..
At first it seems like a neutral safety switch issue and it may be. I know you changed it but did you check to see that the switch is properly adjusted in the control?
Do the gauges power up each time you turn on the ignition?
Could be a bad starter relay also.
If so, it is relatively easy to jump battery to the start lug of the starter motor . Turn on the key and see if the starter engages and the motor fires when you supply manually 'hot wire' the starter.

wlewis

Reaction score
Good ideas, but I can't envision "the switch on the linkage at the motor". Would you have a link to a diagram? When I changed the neutral safety switch in the control box, it was a real pain in the you know what to access, especially since it required a second person to crawl inside the 225's small console, so I was really hoping not to have to do that again. As I recall, the switch only fit one way and frankly, the old one seemed to function exactly like the new replacement switch so I had my doubts as to whether I solved anything. The gauges do power up when I turn the key.

seasick

Reaction score
OK, if the guages power up, try to start the motor. Let's hope that it doesnt crank, now at the motor jump the large battery feed at the starter relay to the starter motor feed using perhaps a jumper cable. If the motor cranks and starts, shut it off and redo this test (ignition on, try o start, if it doesn't go to the motor and nor connect battery signal to the starter relay signal post (smaller wire and lug). If the motor starts, the relay is good and you probably have a problem at the helm or in the wire harness. If the motor in this test scenario doesn't crank over, the starter relay is probably bad. I will post a link to the diagram of the shift switch.

wlewis

Reaction score
One question: The parts diagram is for a 225. Mine is a 250. Would the parts #13 and 14 be the same for a 250?

seasick

Reaction score
Similar design, different switches

Don't run out and buy these parts. I am almost 100% certain that is not your problem.
I had a idea on a simpler test.
When you tested by shifting 3 or 4 times, did you wiggle the handle and then try the start position or did you hold the key in start and simultaneously move the shift level? ( You may need to go more towards fwd or more towards reverse.
I would like to also make one point clearer. If the neutral switch was not in the correct alignment before. Replacing it will not fix the problem since the new switch would still be in the wrong position. The way to adjust the activation of the switch is to change the shift cable adjustment at the motor.
So hold the ignition switch in the start position and if the motor doesn't crank, try moving the shift lever a little bit both ways. If that works, the neutral adjustment is your problem.

wlewis

Reaction score
I usually hold the key in start position and then jiggle lever back and forth, into F and R. Since my control box is electronic, I'm not sure I have a shift cable to adjust.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don't have a schematic, but I have to assume there is a neutral safety switch on the engine itself as well as the throttle quadrant. Probably adjustable on the engine.

wlewis

Reaction score
A neutral safety switch on the engine itself is what I've been hoping to find, but haven't been able to confirm that one is there.

seasick

Reaction score
What is the exact motor model number. If it is fly by wire, I don't believe there is a switch at the motor. We need the model letters after the F250,. it should be a B, T D etc. I think I am trying to diagnose the wrong motor. I am nor familiar with the digital controls.

wlewis

Reaction score
F250XCA. Not sure if it is digital, but it does not utilize the old style control cables.

seasick

Reaction score
That motor is digitally controlled, no conventional cables. There is a sensor on the shift linkage but as I mentioned, I doubt that is your problem.
If the motor starts when you wiggle the lever, the problem is most likely in the helm control unit.
I don't have a manual for that control so I can't suggest how to test/ adjust the neutral switch.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd shoot Sim an email and get his opinion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
here ya go.

wlewis

Reaction score
Sent question to SIM, but no response. Perhaps they're shut down temporarily.