Steering kicker on Adventure 208

HiggyD

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to steer my kicker motor when fishing in congested waters. Right now im using a goetz trollez which works ok but I've had some issues with it. Setting the kicker straight and using the main as a rudder works fine in the ocean but the local areas require more control. Right now im thinking of trying this:
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

However, I'm concerned about the required 14" of clearance. The motor well of the 208 is small. Does anyone with an adventure have one of these?

Any other solutions?

Thanks,

Higgy

Rayvon

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I'm new here,just bought a 2009 Grady 208 Adventure,so I'll bring back this old thread because I was thinking of trying the seastar kicker cable too and hate the EZ steer mounted on the back of motors.The cable won't work,not enough clearance in the splash well.I ended up making a solid 3/8" stainless bar mounted on the main seastar with the "Panther" connecter and bending it almost 90* ,then back to the kicker on it's fixed mount.I'll add pictures if anyone is interested.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm new here,just bought a 2009 Grady 208 Adventure,so I'll bring back this old thread because I was thinking of trying the seastar kicker cable too and hate the EZ steer mounted on the back of motors.The cable won't work,not enough clearance in the splash well.I ended up making a solid 3/8" stainless bar mounted on the main seastar with the "Panther" connecter and bending it almost 90* ,then back to the kicker on it's fixed mount.I'll add pictures if anyone is interested.
I would love to see a picture of your setup. Thanks

Rayvon

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
"Trapper",I did make my own but used 3/8" stainless 316 rod and threaded the ends to fit the Marinetech ball joints. I've only owned the Grady since October,so I've been trying to think of worthwhile upgrades. I live in Victoria,B.C in the PNW and we have to deal with strong tides while fishing sometimes ,so having both motors steering is a must have.The boat came with the EZ-steer system mounted on the back of the motors and I've had that on other boats and didn't like it.The best steering solutions I've used have been solid rod connections on the front of main and kicker. The 208 Grady has such a small splash well the kicker has to be mounted on a bracket about 15" aft of the main making a steering connection harder to work out.Anyway's ,this is what I came up with and it seems to work fine,I get full rotation in both directions.I added a small piece of "starboard" to the splash well trim to keep the rod from flopping around.
On another subject,I'd really like to hear from anyone running an F 225 Yamaha on their 208 to determine the right prop size,pitch,3 or 4 blade.It has a 15 1/2 x 17P SWS stainless and only gets 33MPH @ 5300 WOT. and it seems like if I go down a pitch to get closer to 5800 RPM it will be even slower,something seems off.
I'm a retired shipwright that has owned many boats ,but this is my first Grady and probably my last boat . It's a 2009 208 Adventure hardtop w/F225 and 9.9 Yamaha's,Carnai trailer,Raymarine C-80 w/radar.The boat has 270 Hrs on it,so pretty much new condition.Ray

Attachments

• IMG_9760.jpg
    IMG_9760.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9759.jpg
    IMG_9759.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9748.jpg
    IMG_9748.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 32

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your kicker steering looks good. I was able to go with a straight rod from main to kicker with a small bungie from rod to splash well to keep it rattle free (quiet) while slow trolling. I have the F200 i4 and am running a 4 blade 141/2 x 15 SCE 4 Powertech. Wot 5700-5800 aprox. Better cruising rpms, appears to get on plane a little quicker, can plane at slower speeds than the reliance 3 blade. Generally, it feels like a better fit.